Network sharing permissions

Hello TeamanFL,

Can you confirm that you have identical User names on both 192.168.1.3 LU-PC and
192.168.1.5 JOHN-PC, Also this user is at the same level - eg. Standard User or administrator.

Also you are using the advanced sharing on both machines.

NO, I do not. Both are administrator. Lu's PC name is LU. John's PC name is JOHN. I am using advanced sharing. I went to C:, did a right click, selected share, then clicked on advance, clicked on permissions, set "everyone" at full control-change-and read (all checked).
What else should I have done?

Well there are a lot of other complicated answers here, but I believe the reason you can't access the files is because you have only set sharing permissions, not security permissions as well.

Right click > properties, click on the security tab, now here add the "everyone" user with full permissions.

If it tells you "access is denied" then make sure you are the owner of the file. Go back to the security tab, click advanced then select the owner tab, click edit, and make "administrators" the new owner. Now close all that, right click and open properties again, now you should be able to change the security permissions.

If "everyone" has access in the security tab and sharing tab, then it should work fine. The answer you used also seems to have worked, but I think mine is easier.

My Computer

That solved my Vista 64 Home Premium problem sharing with my mixed XP workgroup. In the security settings among the Group & User Name objects you can select to share with there is NETWORK. That's what I selected, and it has enabled file sharing. Does anyone know how that differs from "everyone"

I couldn't find a "workgroup" object, but is there a way to enter a workgroup?

Anyone know the relative security of these settings? (i.e. whats "best"?)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    home built
    CPU
    E8500 @ 3.8Ghz (400 fsb)
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6
    Memory
    Corsair 2X2 Gig 1066mhz 8500CDF
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX280 OC 1Gig
    Sound Card
    on board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG Flatron W2242T
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    2 x Seagate 320Gig ST3320620AS
    PSU
    Antec True power 2.0 550 watt and Thermaltake 450 watt vga
    Case
    Cooler Master CM690
    Cooling
    Intel oem
    Keyboard
    Logitech usb
    Mouse
    Microsoft laser usb
    Internet Speed
    8192 / 384 kbps
The "NETWORK" group should be fine. It means that anyone using your router/gateway to access the internet can also access the selected files, which is a good setting I think, however i'm not extremely knowledgeable about this and there might be some exceptions where this setting does not work.

As for a "WORKGROUP" group, I'm not sure, but I don't think there is, and I don't think you could access another computer's shared files if you weren't in the same workgroup anyways.

The everyone group means what it says, EVERYONE, has access. However don't worry, because no one but local and workgroup users can access your computer anyways. If you enabled password protected sharing, then everyone would have to
enter the password first regardless.
Also, I assume you are using a router, which as far as I know always has its own built in firewall, so that no one from the outside can access your internal network, unless you disable the firewall or have port forwarding etc. which i doubt you have (those are not default settings.) So if you use everyone, or just network, it probably doesn't matter unless there is some hacker out to get you.

My Computer

YES!! i so agree with john. This sharing thing is a headache!!!! for the life of me, i can't figure it out too!

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    2.53ghz P9500
    Memory
    4gigs DDR3
    Sound Card
    3 external sound cards
    Case
    Dell studioXPS 13
Back