New Computer Freeze

Basically intel is advising all motherboard makers to put a notice on their Mboard that ram voltage higher than 1.65 v puts cpu at higher risk of being damaged although they do not give specific reasons why.

U misunderstood what i said, i was not referring to CPU voltage, i was referring to ram voltage memory voltage limit, and asked as a reference if indeed high ram voltage higher than 1.6 can damage cpu

You said 1.8 v (ram) is the settings for many kits these days? but intel says 1.65v should be the max or you risk damaging the cpu is that indeed the case?
Yes, perhaps you're right, I did misunderstand you. Where are you getting your figures from? Dram voltage is 1.8 volts. This is independent of cpu voltage, which you, having a 45nm core, should never go above 1.4 volts.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 / 2.83 GHz ( 1333 MHz )
    Motherboard
    Foxconn Blackops X48
    Memory
    4GB DDR3 Corsair 1333mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI 4870 1024 MB DDR5
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 22 inch
    PSU
    Coolermaster Real Power 850w Modular Power Supply
    Cooling
    Asus Arctic Square CPU Cooler
Basically intel is advising all motherboard makers to put a notice on their Mboard that ram voltage higher than 1.65 v puts cpu at higher risk of being damaged although they do not give specific reasons why.

U misunderstood what i said, i was not referring to CPU voltage, i was referring to ram voltage memory voltage limit, and asked as a reference if indeed high ram voltage higher than 1.6 can damage cpu

You said 1.8 v (ram) is the settings for many kits these days? but intel says 1.65v should be the max or you risk damaging the cpu is that indeed the case?
Yes, perhaps you're right, I did misunderstand you. Where are you getting your figures from? Dram voltage is 1.8 volts. This is independent of cpu voltage, which you, having a 45nm core, should never go above 1.4 volts.

If I sound harsh, it's because you've, three times now, repeated something that makes zero sense. Intel is not doing what you're claiming they are. DDR2, typically, runs at 1.8 volts. Intel knows this, board makers/bios writers know this and memory manufactures surely know what they're producing. Dram voltage is independent of cpu voltage. You board, my board, everyone's board is able to deliver two distinctly different voltages to the cpu and the RAM. In short, as I eluded to ealier, it's you who's misreading whatever it is you're reading. If you could provide a link that to what you're reading, I could, perhaps, help clear this up for you?

1.6 volts will kill your cpu. Straight up. Electromigration, at 1.6 volt, given your 45nm core, will just flat out kill you. There's no other way for me to say this.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Fumz' Flux-Capacitor
    CPU
    E8400
    Motherboard
    DFI LP DK P35-T2RS
    Memory
    4GB G.Skill PC-1066
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA 8800 GTS
    Sound Card
    X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 226BW
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    500GB W.D. RE2 Primary
    1TB W.D. Caviar GP WD10EACS
    PSU
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610
    Case
    Lian Li Lancool K62
    Cooling
    Thermalright Ultima-90/S-Flex 120mm
    Keyboard
    MS Natural Elite 4000 Ergonomic
    Mouse
    Logitech G5
    Internet Speed
    2.5MB/430
    Other Info
    D-Link DGL 4500
Hey Fumz, he's talking about the new Intel Core i7 (Nehalem) MOBO's, isn't he? And the 1.6 refers to memory modules of which there aren't any yet.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Scratch Built
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core 6600
    Motherboard
    Asus P5B
    Memory
    4096 MB Xtreme-Dark 800mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Zotac Amp Edition 8800GT - 512MB DDR3, O/C 700mhz
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 206BW
    Screen Resolution
    1680 X 1024
    Hard Drives
    4 X Samsung 500GB 7200rpm Serial ATA-II HDD w. 16MB Cache .
    PSU
    550 w
    Case
    Thermaltake
    Cooling
    3 x octua NF-S12-1200 - 120mm 1200RPM Sound Optimised Fans
    Keyboard
    Microsoft
    Mouse
    Targus
    Internet Speed
    1500kbs
    Other Info
    Self built.
To be honest, I have no clue what he's talking about? I'll worry about i7's when i7's are available for purchase. However, i7's will use DDR3 in triple channel. If Intel is saying that it can't handle modules that use more than 1.6 volts, then that's sort of shocking considering DDR3 "usually" runs at anywhere from 1.5 to 1.8 volts. That's a lot of IC's they're not working with?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Fumz' Flux-Capacitor
    CPU
    E8400
    Motherboard
    DFI LP DK P35-T2RS
    Memory
    4GB G.Skill PC-1066
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA 8800 GTS
    Sound Card
    X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 226BW
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    500GB W.D. RE2 Primary
    1TB W.D. Caviar GP WD10EACS
    PSU
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610
    Case
    Lian Li Lancool K62
    Cooling
    Thermalright Ultima-90/S-Flex 120mm
    Keyboard
    MS Natural Elite 4000 Ergonomic
    Mouse
    Logitech G5
    Internet Speed
    2.5MB/430
    Other Info
    D-Link DGL 4500
Quote "Nehalem does promise to be a processor to look out for, it would be Intel's next installment, post the successful Core 2 series processors. This time however, Intel made a core modification with the way the system handles memory. The Bloomfield processors house a massive 192-bit wide memory controller for supporting tri-channel DDR3 memory. It however was found that the controller could bring in limitations to the DIMM voltages that the system could support.

The retail version of ASUS P6T Deluxe OC Palm Edition motherboard was unboxed by XFastest. Being the retail product, as usually, it comes with precautionary labels attached to parts of the motherboard. The one that covers the 6 DDR3 DIMM slots reads: According to Intel CPU SPEC, DIMMs with voltage setting over 1.65V may damage the CPU permanently. We recommend you to install DIMMs with voltage setting below 1.65V."

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Scratch Built
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core 6600
    Motherboard
    Asus P5B
    Memory
    4096 MB Xtreme-Dark 800mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Zotac Amp Edition 8800GT - 512MB DDR3, O/C 700mhz
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 206BW
    Screen Resolution
    1680 X 1024
    Hard Drives
    4 X Samsung 500GB 7200rpm Serial ATA-II HDD w. 16MB Cache .
    PSU
    550 w
    Case
    Thermaltake
    Cooling
    3 x octua NF-S12-1200 - 120mm 1200RPM Sound Optimised Fans
    Keyboard
    Microsoft
    Mouse
    Targus
    Internet Speed
    1500kbs