1T
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 9300M GS
    Hard Drives
    C:\
    D:\
    Mouse
    Trust
Just wanted to give an update, I still haven't gotten the new HD yet, the money is taking longer than I thought to get. I'll be seriously dissapointed if I don't have it by September though. I still hope to get help from all your knowledgeable comments when I do procure one! :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 1545
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 @ 2.00 GHz
    Motherboard
    DELL - 27d90219 Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A05
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Sound Card
    IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (DPMS), 15.3" (34cm x 19cm)
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Internal 320 GB
    Portable 320 GB used for separate storage of media, plugged into USB port as needed.
    Cooling
    Single built in fan
    Keyboard
    Built in
    Mouse
    Touchpad, + Logitech wireless mouse (USB)
    Internet Speed
    ~150 kilobytes/sec DL
    Other Info
    Usually have low HD free space left (<10 GB), often left on overnight. I really push its capabilities.
Well I've rechecked online and it seems that there aren't really any 1TB 9.5mm thick 2.5" HDs out there, only 12mm ones, and my laptop only takes the 9.5mm ones. I did find one on ebay, but it's really new technology and a bit more expensive than I want to pay ($100) so I think I'm just going to grab a 2TB external one for that price and store anything I need on that. So now I have some new questions! :)

1- Can I partition one, load an OS (probably Win 7) one one partition and still use the other for normal storage? Will it let my computer boot an OS that's on an external HD? I know in my BIOS it has a removable media option for booting, but I'm not sure if that's just for installing an OS off a flashdrive or if it'll let me boot totally from there. If I can, how bad would it be if the USB cable got pulled out on accident or something while I was using the OS on it?

2- (just another question about normal internal HDs) I've seen some internal HDs online that say something similar to "Max. 334GB formatted capacity per disk" Does that mean I have to partition the whole 1TB into 3 smaller partitions for it to work? What exactly does that mean?

3- If I just use the internal HD in my computer for my OS and some programs, are there any problems associated with installing other programs on a partition in the external HD? Other than only being able to access them when it's plugged in? Again, what are the risks of having it suddenly disconnected while running a program off it?

Those are my main three right now, if I missed something or you have any advice I'd appreciate it. I'll probably come up with more questions after I get responses for these :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 1545
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Internal 320 GB
    Portable 320 GB used for separate storage of media, plugged into USB port as needed.
    Cooling
    Single built in fan
    Keyboard
    Built in
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    ~150 kilobytes/sec DL
    Other Info
    Usually have low HD free space left (<10 GB), often left on overnight. I really push its capabilities.
Anyone? Haha. I'll start a new thread with these questions if no one responds in a day or two.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 1545
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Internal 320 GB
    Cooling
    Single built in fan
    Keyboard
    Built in
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    ~150 kilobytes/sec DL
    Other Info
    1. Yes you can, I do it :)
    2. No you can't, see this
    3. All sorts of problems, data corruption etc. Similar sort of damage as if you pull the power cable out of a PC
  1. The formatted capacity is how much space you have after a format, see this. You wont have a formatted capacity of 334MB for a 1TB hard drive, maybe there are 3 discs in the 1TB hard drive and they are 334MB each if you get what I mean?
  2. Nope, no problem at all I don't think, a mate of mine does that. Same as 1.3 really

Tom

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Build #1
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770K @4.4GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
    Memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz Low Profile (White)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 (2GB GDDR5)
    Sound Card
    Integrated on motherboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" LG LCD/LED IPS
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung EVO 128GB SSD
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm
    2x500GB Seagate FreeAgent 5400rpm
    PSU
    Corsair TX650W V2 (80+ Bronze)
    Case
    NZXT Phantom 410
    Cooling
    Corsair H100 Water Cooler, 1x140mm and 1x120mm stock fans
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Desktop 2000 Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Desktop 2000 Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    95 Mb/s Download 70 Mb/s Upload
Thanks Tom!
To clarify:

1- Questions 1.1 and 1.2 were talking about the same thing, so I'm assuming you thought 1.1 was about internal drives even though I was referring to external ones in both questions, and that's why you said "yes" to 1.1 and "no" to 1.2. I know I can partition internal HDs with one partition for OS and one (or more) for program files/other media data, so thanks for letting me know that I can't use that setup on an external one, since windows wont boot on an external drive. That's what I was going for :) nice link.

2- I know HDs always have less space available in the computer than they advertise, and even less after formatting, so a 1TB will have roughly 954 GB free after format (curtsey Google search). I wasn't sure if they meant "disc" as in a "Hard Drive Disc Drive" type thing that is recognized by your computer (I think it was being sold from China, and they usually have weird English in their product description on eBay, so that's where I'm getting that from), or if they meant each of the individual 3 platters inside the drive, as if I would need to know that for some reason even though it wouldn't effect partition space. Hopefully that sentence made sense.
I ask because I've heard that certain BIOSes will only recognize single HD partitions up to a certain size (a similar concept to how 32 bit systems only recognize up to about 4GB of RAM, no matter how much RAM you actually install). So I wasn't sure if that phrase was somehow related that BIOS limitation I've heard of, and would therefore force me to make 3 partitions of that size to use it all. Speaking of which, is that BIOS limitation true? How do I know what size of HD my BIOS will recognize as a single partition before forcing me to divide it up into multiple smaller ones?

3- Got it :)

Sorry for my rambling approach to explain myself, I just find it more efficient to ask multiple questions at once to speed up time it takes to get them all answered :) and I'm not great at organizing them all efficiently. So thanks for bearing with me!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 1545
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Internal 320 GB
    Cooling
    Single built in fan
    Keyboard
    Built in
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    ~150 kilobytes/sec DL
    Other Info
Thanks Tom!
To clarify:

1- Questions 1.1 and 1.2 were talking about the same thing, so I'm assuming you thought 1.1 was about internal drives even though I was referring to external ones in both questions, and that's why you said "yes" to 1.1 and "no" to 1.2. I know I can partition internal HDs with one partition for OS and one (or more) for program files/other media data, so thanks for letting me know that I can't use that setup on an external one, since windows wont boot on an external drive. That's what I was going for :) nice link.

2- I know HDs always have less space available in the computer than they advertise, and even less after formatting, so a 1TB will have roughly 954 GB free after format (curtsey Google search). I wasn't sure if they meant "disc" as in a "Hard Drive Disc Drive" type thing that is recognized by your computer (I think it was being sold from China, and they usually have weird English in their product description on eBay, so that's where I'm getting that from), or if they meant each of the individual 3 platters inside the drive, as if I would need to know that for some reason even though it wouldn't effect partition space. Hopefully that sentence made sense.
I ask because I've heard that certain BIOSes will only recognize single HD partitions up to a certain size (a similar concept to how 32 bit systems only recognize up to about 4GB of RAM, no matter how much RAM you actually install). So I wasn't sure if that phrase was somehow related that BIOS limitation I've heard of, and would therefore force me to make 3 partitions of that size to use it all. Speaking of which, is that BIOS limitation true? How do I know what size of HD my BIOS will recognize as a single partition before forcing me to divide it up into multiple smaller ones?

3- Got it :)

Sorry for my rambling approach to explain myself, I just find it more efficient to ask multiple questions at once to speed up time it takes to get them all answered :) and I'm not great at organizing them all efficiently. So thanks for bearing with me!

No worries Adam :) Glad I can help

1. Yes I did, sorry about that!
2. What motherboard have you got?
3. Good

It's fine, as you said it saves time, us being in different time zones can really slow things down and you've found a way around it :)

Tom

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Build #1
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770K @4.4GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
    Memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz Low Profile (White)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 (2GB GDDR5)
    Sound Card
    Integrated on motherboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" LG LCD/LED IPS
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung EVO 128GB SSD
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm
    2x500GB Seagate FreeAgent 5400rpm
    PSU
    Corsair TX650W V2 (80+ Bronze)
    Case
    NZXT Phantom 410
    Cooling
    Corsair H100 Water Cooler, 1x140mm and 1x120mm stock fans
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Desktop 2000 Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Desktop 2000 Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    95 Mb/s Download 70 Mb/s Upload
Um idk how to find out what my motherboard is... the one that comes on a Dell Inspiron 1545? haha.

Quick random question: how important is it to keep my BIOS up to date? I have version A03 for my computer, and there's a newer one, A05. Is it really risky to update a BIOS? Is it going to really improve anything? Is it in any way related to the maximum partition size my computer can recognize?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 1545
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Internal 320 GB
    Cooling
    Single built in fan
    Keyboard
    Built in
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    ~150 kilobytes/sec DL
    Other Info

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Thanks Rich.
I'll see if it will tell me

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 1545
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Internal 320 GB
    Cooling
    Single built in fan
    Keyboard
    Built in
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    ~150 kilobytes/sec DL
    Other Info
Belarc may be better than Speccy.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Speccy says:

Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Model: 0G848F
Chipset Vendor: Intel
Chipset Model: GM45/GM47
Chipset: Revision 07
Southbridge Vendor: Intel
Southbridge Model: 82801IM (ICH9-M)
Southbridge: Revision 03
System Temperature: 52 °C
BIOS
Brand: Dell Inc.
Version: A05
Date: 02/25/2009
PCI Data
Slot PCI-X
Slot Type: PCI-X
Slot Usage: Available
Data But Width: 256 bit
Slot Designation: PCIE Slot 0
Slot Number: 0
Slot PCI-X
Slot Type: PCI-X
Slot Usage: Available
Data But Width: 256 bit
Slot Designation: PCIE Slot 1
Slot Number: 1

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 1545
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Internal 320 GB
    Cooling
    Single built in fan
    Keyboard
    Built in
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    ~150 kilobytes/sec DL
    Other Info
Back