New Intel processor generation, any comments?

Except Microsoft Flight Simulator FSX, which is a CPU limited game but you're right about pretty much everything else, though I presume that the new MS train sim will have the same charactoristics as FSX as it is using the same engine.

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer
I'm not entirely convinced? :confused: Threads like this suggest that the problem with Flight Sim is the game, not the hardware: Anyone have a GTX 280?
There are actually quite a few threads to be found on how to optimize this game... didn't read them, just gave them a cursory scan, but this page also looks like it might help? Flight Simulator X - Flight Simulator X: Performance tweaks

Yeah the problem with the tweaks is that because there is such a huge volume of add-ons for FSX it is basically impossible for the folks that create the tweaks to test anything more than the basic game with them, and really if you like add-on feature x or y you might find it does not work with the system tweaked.

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer
I'm not at all familiar with the game, let's get that out of the way up front; however, it is a game and was designed to run on the hardware available today. One cannot conclude that because the environment it wishes to simulate requires a lot of cpu power that the game also requires a lot of cpu power. I don't think those guys in that thread were lying when they said their game ran fine on a single core cpu or just fine on a dual core at stock. More importantly, I believe that guy who went to that convention who said he spoke with the MS guys about what the game's problems really were... again, I don't see a reason for him to make that up? He could be, but when combined with the others saying their game runs fine, it leaves doubts as to the validity that the game is really limited by current cpus?

Lets face it, I don't care how many add-ons or mods you have, if a game can't run with four 3GHz cores, then there's a real problem with the game; it's poorly coded. Am I right here or is there something else I'm missing?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Fumz' Flux-Capacitor
    CPU
    E8400
    Motherboard
    DFI LP DK P35-T2RS
    Memory
    4GB G.Skill PC-1066
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA 8800 GTS
    Sound Card
    X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 226BW
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    500GB W.D. RE2 Primary
    1TB W.D. Caviar GP WD10EACS
    PSU
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610
    Case
    Lian Li Lancool K62
    Cooling
    Thermalright Ultima-90/S-Flex 120mm
    Keyboard
    MS Natural Elite 4000 Ergonomic
    Mouse
    Logitech G5
    Internet Speed
    2.5MB/430
    Other Info
    D-Link DGL 4500
I know today's standards cpu's are really cheap. I got my core for under 50 bucks in a bundle. Works fine for what it does. I'm just wondering if this trend of growing wattage consumption will continue or will we see it begin to even out at some point? Because to me it seems like everywhere I go, people are shouting "more cores! more core!" and not thinking about the energy cost, the use for more cores, the change in coding involved, etc. GPU's are obviously the biggest energy suckers, and I will have a problem with ATI or nVidia should they release a next gen card that is exclusively multi-GPU guzzinly 300Watts, and for SLI or Xfire u need a 800W+ rated PSU. Then Im gonna start worrying about the gen after that, what if the company decides to go quad GPU, 1000W+... All the while dropping support for single gpu, low wattage, "low-end" cards. On the 4870x2, 80C idle is commonplace and this is considered acceptable? 80C is higher than my maximum load temperatures on my 4850... So the gen after that, will 100C be common? 120C? Now I can fry my breakfast on the heatsink and boil a kettle for my coffee while I idle on windows? So you see its not whats out today that worries it, its whats looming around the corner that just doesn't seem reasonable.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    3.6 Ghz AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte MA790X-UDP4
    Memory
    4GB OCZ DDR2 800Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus EAH4850 512MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 2253BW
    Hard Drives
    C: 320GB Seagate SATA
    D: 720GB Seagate SATA
I'm not at all familiar with the game, let's get that out of the way up front; however, it is a game and was designed to run on the hardware available today.
Well to be precise it is not game, it is a sim and I am not just being a snob by saying that for the reason that if you try to do something in a sim that is done in real life you may very well have to put the same amount of processing work in to it as the real life thing does.

One cannot conclude that because the environment it wishes to simulate requires a lot of cpu power that the game also requires a lot of cpu power.
that statement is not logical.

I don't think those guys in that thread were lying when they said their game ran fine on a single core cpu or just fine on a dual core at stock.

There are so many setting on Flight Simulator, even on the basic game that people are usually talking about different things.

More importantly, I believe that guy who went to that convention who said he spoke with the MS guys about what the game's problems really were... again, I don't see a reason for him to make that up? He could be, but when combined with the others saying their game runs fine, it leaves doubts as to the validity that the game is really limited by current cpus?

The game is limited by current CPUs for the reason that developing each version of flight simulator takes several years and FSX was put together when Intel were regularly raising clock speeds, so it was designed for single core processors but much faster ones than we currently have.

Lets face it, I don't care how many add-ons or mods you have, if a game can't run with four 3GHz cores, then there's a real problem with the game; it's poorly coded. Am I right here or is there something else I'm missing?

Hello, it is hugely difficult for a game to make effective use of more than one core never mind more than two and additionally FSX has to be able to run with a mass of addons from freeware hobbyists and professional producers.

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    self build desktop PC
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 4800 dual core Toledo 2.4 gigahertz
    Motherboard
    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    Memory
    4 x 1 Gigabyte sticks
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gainward 7600GT Golden Sample factory overclocked
    Sound Card
    Realtek onboard sound AC-97
    Monitor(s) Displays
    View Sonic G90B 19 inch CRT [ 17.7 visible ]
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HDT725032VLA36 quantity 4
    Case
    Cooler Master Stacker
    Cooling
    Thematalke Big Typhoon air cooling
    Keyboard
    Mitsumi
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intelli mouse optical tracking
    Internet Speed
    3.6 Mbps HSDPA
Oh wow... a quote train. :D Chuuu Chuuu!!

My statement about the game ... errr, sorry, simulator is perfectly logical. The software on the CD or DVD is not the same as the software used in airports or in airplanes. Nor are the cpu's used in our machines the same as those used in airports or in airplanes. It's a game, we can split hairs all night long about whether it's a game or a simulator, but it's still a small piece of software when compared to the software it's representing.

If guys can play it with one core, then it should not need 3 more cores just to play with the add-ons.

Yes, it's difficult to code for 4 cores, but that does not mean the game is cpu limited, it means devs haven't quite figured out how to code for four cores; which is why I've said all along the game is coded poorly. It's not the cpu's fault, and if the game is so poorly coded, a cpu 20% stronger (Nehalem) isn't really going to help much. If you're getting 15 fps, then 20% more isn't really all that much.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Fumz' Flux-Capacitor
    CPU
    E8400
    Motherboard
    DFI LP DK P35-T2RS
    Memory
    4GB G.Skill PC-1066
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA 8800 GTS
    Sound Card
    X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 226BW
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    500GB W.D. RE2 Primary
    PSU
    Case
    Lian Li Lancool K62
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech G5
    Internet Speed
    2.5MB/430
    Other Info
    D-Link DGL 4500
Because to me it seems like everywhere I go, people are shouting "more cores! more core!"
Well sorry to frighten you, but I think before too long we will see 32 core processors.

and not thinking about the energy cost, the use for more cores, the change in coding involved, etc.

There's no shortage of energy, if you live somewhere sunny you can put solar panels on your roof and run your computer off that. Coding gets out of date anyway and if people want computers to do more things and more difficult things, well more cores and more coding to take advantage of multicores is the only game in town.

GPU's are obviously the biggest energy suckers, and I will have a problem with ATI or nVidia should they release a next gen card that is exclusively multi-GPU guzzinly 300Watts, and for SLI or Xfire u need a 800W+ rated PSU.

Well if don't like them don't buy them, I have had more fun with games that I can play on a Pentium II than I have had with crysis. And I can run crysis with a 7600GT card with passive cooling. And as for Crossfire and SLI they are just a waste of time as far as I am concerned.

Then Im gonna start worrying about the gen after that, what if the company decides to go quad GPU, 1000W+... All the while dropping support for single gpu, low wattage, "low-end" cards. On the 4870x2, 80C idle is commonplace and this is considered acceptable? 80C is higher than my maximum load temperatures on my 4850... So the gen after that, will 100C be common? 120C? Now I can fry my breakfast on the heatsink and boil a kettle for my coffee while I idle on windows? So you see its not whats out today that worries it, its whats looming around the corner that just doesn't seem reasonable.

Very high heat outputs are just not practical for the mass commercial market, when the processor hits a limit that it can no longer be effectively cooled by a heat sink and air fan, the manufacturer of the processor will find a new way to get performance increases, which is why e.g. Intel went to multicore as its faster single core chips were getting hotter and hotter.

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    self build desktop PC
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    Memory
    4 x 1 Gigabyte sticks
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Cooler Master Stacker
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mitsumi
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    3.6 Mbps HSDPA
I think we should all chip in and buy you an engineer's cap... blue with white pinstripes.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Fumz' Flux-Capacitor
    CPU
    E8400
    Motherboard
    DFI LP DK P35-T2RS
    Memory
    4GB G.Skill PC-1066
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA 8800 GTS
    Sound Card
    X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 226BW
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    500GB W.D. RE2 Primary
    PSU
    Case
    Lian Li Lancool K62
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech G5
    Internet Speed
    2.5MB/430
    Other Info
    D-Link DGL 4500
Oh wow... a quote train. :D Chuuu Chuuu!!

My statement about the game ... errr, sorry, simulator is perfectly logical. The software on the CD or DVD is not the same as the software used in airports or in airplanes. Nor are the cpu's used in our machines the same as those used in airports or in airplanes. It's a game, we can split hairs all night long about whether it's a game or a simulator, but it's still a small piece of software when compared to the software it's representing.

well sorry you are wrong, if there is an auto pilot or Flight Management Computer on the aircraft in flight sim, it has much the same data load and processing requirement as the real thing, okay in a real auto pilot there may well be a triple redundancy system in that three computers will work on the task and if one disagrees with the other two the two will command the action and ignore the third, so everything is being done in triplicate which would not happen in the sim version but the task is still the same on the sim.

If guys can play it with one core, then it should not need 3 more cores just to play with the add-ons.

So somebody says they can play it with one core, the World Trade Centre did not even meet New York fire regulations and the Titanic was supposed to be un-sinkable and you are treating it as fact that one can run the thing on a single core maxed out, just because somebody said so.

Yes, it's difficult to code for 4 cores, but that does not mean the game is cpu limited, it means devs haven't quite figured out how to code for four cores; which is why I've said all along the game is coded poorly. It's not the cpu's fault, and if the game is so poorly coded, a cpu 20% stronger (Nehalem) isn't really going to help much. If you're getting 15 fps, then 20% more isn't really all that much.

It is very difficult to code for multicore to do it effectively will probably call for AI intelligence to write programs, if something is so difficult as to be near impossible with current technology people are not lazy or incometent for not being able to do it. If you want to take that attitude you could criticize the Wright Brothers as being a pair of incompetent morons because their plane only flew a few yards and only carried one person the pilot. Well sorry I am sure they could have done a lot better if somebody could have sold them a high performance 2000 horsepower aero engine like the Rolls Royce Merlin except they would have had to wait another thirty three years to buy one.

If you're getting 15 fps, then 20% more isn't really all that much.

I do not care very much what other people are getting or not getting, in that my Athlon 64 4800 dual core with a 7600GT FSX runs between the low twenty frames in the countryside and seven or so frames in CPU intensive locations all at high settings, on a Conroe dual core it would run better in the CPU intensive locations so that it will start to go between fifteen and twenty and Nehalem will push even the CPU intensive locations to a practical minimum when paired with a better video card than I currently have.

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    self build desktop PC
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    Memory
    4 x 1 Gigabyte sticks
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Cooler Master Stacker
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mitsumi
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    3.6 Mbps HSDPA
wow, somebody really takes their game seriously... perhaps too seriously?

Like I said, I don't know anything about this game, nor do I really care. What I do know however, is how to control the remote for my TV. Every once and a while I'll flip through the Discovery Channel to find them showing real flight simulators. They're huge, and they're controlled by banks of computers, not just one.

Now, granted, that might be a prop simply used to convey grandiosity and really it's just one little P4 doing all the work... or real flight simulators do indeed require a lot of cpu power. I'm guessing they really do? So, if they can manage to fit all that onto a DVD you can plop into a home PC, then that tells me that what you're playing isn't a real flight sim, but a game, just like the rest of us... so you can drop the pretentiousness about it.

Lastly, your usage of quote trains here has been, imho, a wee bit rude and disrespectul; especially considering the OP asked for our opinios... opinions which you seem to think are there for you to rip into as you see fit. Not exactly a good way to make friends. :rolleyes:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Fumz' Flux-Capacitor
    CPU
    E8400
    Motherboard
    DFI LP DK P35-T2RS
    Memory
    4GB G.Skill PC-1066
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA 8800 GTS
    Sound Card
    X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 226BW
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    500GB W.D. RE2 Primary
    PSU
    Case
    Lian Li Lancool K62
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech G5
    Internet Speed
    2.5MB/430
    Other Info
    D-Link DGL 4500
There's no shortage of energy, if you live somewhere sunny you can put solar panels on your roof and run your computer off that.

"The amount of personal computers in the world will reach one billion already by the end of 2008, and two billions - by 2015." - Forrester Research

"U.S. scientists, noting information technologies use as much energy as the airline industry" - University of California San Diego

"The rapid growth in highly data-intensive scientific research has fueled an explosion in computing facilities and demand for electricity to power them. Energy usage per compute server rack is growing from approximately 2 kilowatts (KW) per rack in 2000 to an estimated 30 KW per rack in 2010. Every dollar spent on power for IT equipment requires that another dollar be spent on cooling – equivalent to double the cost of the hardware itself over three years. As a result, cooling and power issues are now becoming a major factor in system design." - UC San Diego "GreenLight" Project
Now, the GreenLight project is geared towards server blocks and scientific research. But here's the question, if people in the private sector are worried about the energy costs of computing, then this seems reasonable to you right? Well lucky for them they have GreenLight to do the research on how to optimize their energy use. To say that there is "no energy shortage" when oil, coal, and natural gas prices are as high as they are, and not everyone has access to wind or hydro energy is assuming far too much about the situation in the world today.

I'm not trying to attack you, but I want to raise the issue with forgetting our computers are consuming energy too. We're in an age where everyone is expected to reduce their carbon footprint to leave a legacy that isn't smog-filled and polluted to our future generations (Did you watch Beijing 2008?). Even though computers are not a big picture in this scheme, we still need to remember that the only people giving us advice on our computer power usage are the computer companies themselves. If programs are geared to use more threads, CPU's are bigger with more cores, games are asked to use more GPU's, ask for more ram, larger amounts of data need to be moved, higher voltages to stabilize clocks, bigger PSU's are needed to keep up with demand, etc. This kind of thinking is ultimately counter intuitive to everything we've been working towards.

Picture this situation several years from now: To save some power today, i turned off the lights i didn't use, i shut off the AC when I wasn't home, I got my windows insulated, and I turned off my computer so I saved some money on my electric bill.

Now picture the same thing but replace it with: To save power today, i turned off the lights, AC, insulated windows, and "pawned noobz for 5 hours on crysis 4 with my 16 core Pentium i9, Quad SLi nVidia 23 billion GTXXX+++***&&% running on my 4000W Corsair."

What about homes with families running 3+ computers? What about small businesses who use computers to keep inventory, sales, shipping, data storage, stream content, host websites, host communities etc? They don't know that a 45nm dual core consumes considerable less than a 65nm quad core. They don't know that a single GPU is plenty to render over 24 fps to play games at 1280x1024. They don't know that they can save power and money by switching hardware and turning on energy features in windows. All these things are happening and all computer companies can think about is "how do we get consumers to buy more cores and misc junk to put into their radiator boxes."

Two steps forwards, four steps backwards.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    3.6 Ghz AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte MA790X-UDP4
    Memory
    4GB OCZ DDR2 800Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus EAH4850 512MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 2253BW
    Hard Drives
    C: 320GB Seagate SATA
    D: 720GB Seagate SATA
wow, somebody really takes their game seriously... perhaps too seriously?

Like I said, I don't know anything about this game, nor do I really care. What I do know however, is how to control the remote for my TV. Every once and a while I'll flip through the Discovery Channel to find them showing real flight simulators. They're huge, and they're controlled by banks of computers, not just one.

Now, granted, that might be a prop simply used to convey grandiosity and really it's just one little P4 doing all the work... or real flight simulators do indeed require a lot of cpu power. I'm guessing they really do? So, if they can manage to fit all that onto a DVD you can plop into a home PC, then that tells me that what you're playing isn't a real flight sim, but a game, just like the rest of us... so you can drop the pretentiousness about it.

Lastly, your usage of quote trains here has been, imho, a wee bit rude and disrespectul; especially considering the OP asked for our opinios... opinions which you seem to think are there for you to rip into as you see fit. Not exactly a good way to make friends. :rolleyes:

There are a number of reasons why an industry standard flight simulator requires some much processing power and to the best of my knowledge, I will give you some of them.

[1] A civilian airliner may carry several hundred passengers and if it was to crash they could all be killed along with the crew and several hundred people on the ground, aswel as the loss of a multi-million dollar aircraft. For that reason, a flight simulator used by an airline has to be perfect in its reproduction of what a real aircraft would do. To get the last twenty per cent of realism has a huge cost in processing power and other computer power.
[2] Modern Commercial Aircraft simulators are full motion devices, in that they are capable of moving up and down, forwards and backwards, left and right, the Microsoft simulator does not move anything, therefor it does not require any processing power for that task but commercial aircraft simulators do.
[3] Microsoft simulator does not seek to model every aspect of an aircraft and I never said that it does, a commercial Aircraft simulator has to be able to model every aspect of an aircraft both in normal flight and in a failure situation e.g. a commercial simulator would have to be able to model the specific effect of loseing a turbine blade.
[4] The supervisory staff in a commercial simulator need to have the facility to influence the simulator in real time, so that even if the crew respond in a timely and appropiate manner to an un-expected threat, the supervisory staff can add on additional problems, this facility simply does not exist in MS flight simulator .
[5] The Commercial simulator has to produce audit trails of everything that happens whilst a training crew is using it, there is simply no requirement to do this in MS flight simulator.
[6] MS flight simulator produces one single view, the commercial simulator must produce a realistic view of what can be seen from any of the windows of the cockpit which would in effect be greater than 180 degrees.
[7] If there is a triplex autopilot with three computers and that equipment is not actually installed in the simulated cockpit but that work is done on the simulator computer with only the switches for the autopilot installed in the simulated cockpit, then the work of those three powerful computers must be done by the commercial simulator and a similar issue would exist with the flight management computer, the engine management computer and the fuel management computer, etc, etc.

I was not trying to make friends or enemies with you, your opinions are your opinions and other people have the right to have their opinions just as you have the right to your opinions. I never said said MS Flight simulator was an exact simulation of an aircraft and even if it was which it is not, nor as it so happens is even the most advanced and sophiscated commercial simulator [ the latter happens merely to be more accurate but not exact to the real thing ], I would have no reason to be pretentious since anybody with a computer and sixty us dollars to purchase FSX, can play FSX, which is hardly an elite club. Since you have no reason to accuse me of being pretentious, that accusation says more about you than it does about me.

As for being disrespectfull, frankly I haven't a clue what you are talking about and it was you who was made a personal attack not me.

like you say

Like I said, I don't know anything about this game, nor do I really care.
but at the same time, you feel fit to make a personal criticism of me on that basis.

I never said that FSX/FS2004 was an exact simulation of a real aircraft, nor did I claim that it comes up to the standards of a multi-million dollar commercial simulator what however is true is that within its cost and equipment constraints it does provide an exceptional degree of realism to the extent that many professional airline pilots will use it both for hobby purposes and as a study aid.

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    self build desktop PC
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    Memory
    4 x 1 Gigabyte sticks
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Cooler Master Stacker
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mitsumi
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    3.6 Mbps HSDPA
wow.. are you guys done.

Personally that last quote of yours.. Fumz saying he doesn't know anything about the game, nor do i really care, how is that a personal attack, Thats just His opinion just as you stated everyone has the right to.

ANYWAYS, this thread was for everyone to talk about i7, not **** about FSX.

So moving on. Yes Quad cores are a bit much, but back a page johngalt made a good point. Quads allow for TRUE multitasking, not to mention it leaves room for things in the future to also work great. Quads are decently Future proof. and the reason that intel went to multiple cores. is cuz take a look at a Single core P4 3.0 or something of that sort. how many watts to run it, and heat. the faster they got, the more power the consume, and the more heat they put out. But now that the technology is getting better. They are going back to those speeds and having great sucess. so yes for a while there I think Quad cores was just because they could, and to show that they were still moving forward as a company and what not. Plus many many people fully use there Quads. but now when you look at a Intel e8600 it runs at 3.33 GHz, on a 45nm Proc Fab, and it only needs 65w to run. my old Dual core AMD 3800+ Dual core used 95w and only was a 2.0.

So clearly they were only getting faster and hotter for a while, but now they are NOT. and they are making some great chips. I wish to beleive that the new chips coming out are going to Continue to get better, and more efficient. look at my Quad core, the Q6700. and now look at a new Q9xxx they use less power, and run great. they will continue to do this. Just wait for the new 32nm Proc Fab. those will rock.

I went from having a AMD Dual Core 5400+ 2.8 GHz CPU. to a Quad core 2.66 and I noticed a difference. enough to be HAPPY about purchasing it. I had slower Cores, and my computer was better, and faster. I now have them at 3.4 GHz and it's great. maybe that much power is not needed. but I do very much see an improvement from my Dual core with this. so even tho I've never had it over 20% I am happy with it, and glad I got it.

I can Download music, While Burning a dvd, while surfing the web with 4 tabs open. I can still play a game and play it well.

Thats true multitasking. and that is why I love my Quad core. maybe I could do that with a Dual. but my 5400+ couldn't do it nearly as well as my Quad.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q9650 E0 4.0 GHz @1.304v
    Motherboard
    eVGA 750i FTW
    Memory
    2x2GB Corsair Dominator PC2-8500C5D
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA/MSI GTX 260 SLI
    Sound Card
    X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung T240 & 226BW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200 & 1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Seagate Cuda 500GB 32mb Cache SATA 7200.(11) + 500GB Seagate Cuda External eSATA, USB, FW400
    PSU
    PC P&C 750w Silencer PSU
    Case
    CoolerMaster HAF 932 (Water-Cooled)
    Cooling
    Plenty of Fans, and a few 230mm Fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech G11
    Mouse
    Logitech MX-518
    Other Info
    ASUS 20x Optical, Bose Companion 3, ATH-AD500 Cans :), Patriot Xporter 16GB Flash Drive (Very Fast), & Sandisk Micro 8GB.

Nikon D40 DSLR with 18-105mm VR & 55-200mm VR
There's no shortage of energy, if you live somewhere sunny you can put solar panels on your roof and run your computer off that.

"The amount of personal computers in the world will reach one billion already by the end of 2008, and two billions - by 2015." - Forrester Research

"U.S. scientists, noting information technologies use as much energy as the airline industry" - University of California San Diego

"The rapid growth in highly data-intensive scientific research has fueled an explosion in computing facilities and demand for electricity to power them. Energy usage per compute server rack is growing from approximately 2 kilowatts (KW) per rack in 2000 to an estimated 30 KW per rack in 2010. Every dollar spent on power for IT equipment requires that another dollar be spent on cooling – equivalent to double the cost of the hardware itself over three years. As a result, cooling and power issues are now becoming a major factor in system design." - UC San Diego "GreenLight" Project
Now, the GreenLight project is geared towards server blocks and scientific research. But here's the question, if people in the private sector are worried about the energy costs of computing, then this seems reasonable to you right? Well lucky for them they have GreenLight to do the research on how to optimize their energy use.

Well excuse for being cynical, I would say that people in big business would be less worried about any harm done to the environment by the energy consumed by large server systems, than the fact such electricity usage would be costing their businesses a lot of money. But it is very possible we would not disagree on that anyway.

To say that there is "no energy shortage" when oil, coal, and natural gas prices are as high as they are, and not everyone has access to wind or hydro energy is assuming far too much about the situation in the world today.

Whilst you have every right to assume that was the spirit I made that remark because of the manner in which made it, I do have a more realistic World view and my underlying point is that whilst there is no shortage of energy resources, there has been a shortage of effort in dealing with the issue that world's oil reserves are a very finite resource and getting smaller all the time. Most everywhere in the World has sunlight or wind or hydro potential, so there is no reason why people can not access such resources.

I'm not trying to attack you, but I want to raise the issue with forgetting our computers are consuming energy too.

You are just expressing your views, which no way constituted any form of an attack on me. I do not have a problem with people wanting computers to be "Green", but high performance computers for home use that might have heavy energy consumption do not worry me too much, since the manufacturers usually find a way of making them more energy efficent.

We're in an age where everyone is expected to reduce their carbon footprint to leave a legacy that isn't smog-filled and polluted to our future generations (Did you watch Beijing 2008?).

Well I think there might be two issues there, [1] Industrial pollution which damages peoples health and [2] the CO2 global warming theory of which I am unconvinced. As for pollution in Beijing, well that says more about what you get when a Communist dictatorship which nearly destroyed China and murdered millions of its own citizens, tries to make the country an economic super-power in the span of twenty years, than it does either for or against the "Green" credentials of PCs.

Even though computers are not a big picture in this scheme, we still need to remember that the only people giving us advice on our computer power usage are the computer companies themselves. If programs are geared to use more threads, CPU's are bigger with more cores, games are asked to use more GPU's, ask for more ram, larger amounts of data need to be moved, higher voltages to stabilize clocks, bigger PSU's are needed to keep up with demand, etc. This kind of thinking is ultimately counter intuitive to everything we've been working towards.

All that is true, but a hotter computer is a less capable computer and a bigger computer is a less capable computer, so there is a constant pressure to make things smaller and cooler. So while computers will see saw up and down as regards power usage, they will keep doing more and more for less relative power expenditure.

Picture this situation several years from now: To save some power today, i turned off the lights i didn't use, i shut off the AC when I wasn't home, I got my windows insulated, and I turned off my computer so I saved some money on my electric bill.

Now picture the same thing but replace it with: To save power today, i turned off the lights, AC, insulated windows, and "pawned noobz for 5 hours on crysis 4 with my 16 core Pentium i9, Quad SLi nVidia 23 billion GTXXX+++***&&% running on my 4000W Corsair."

Well if you live in a cold country, you could keep warm from your computer.

What about homes with families running 3+ computers? What about small businesses who use computers to keep inventory, sales, shipping, data storage, stream content, host websites, host communities etc? They don't know that a 45nm dual core consumes considerable less than a 65nm quad core. They don't know that a single GPU is plenty to render over 24 fps to play games at 1280x1024. They don't know that they can save power and money by switching hardware and turning on energy features in windows. All these things are happening and all computer companies can think about is "how do we get consumers to buy more cores and misc junk to put into their radiator boxes."

Look plenty of people smoke and get cancer as a result, other people beat their children and people crash aircraft in to the World Trade Center and some people think the thrash that did that are some kind of heroes, so in the grand scheme of things [ not to diminish your argument,] Intel floging Conroe quad cores to Mrs Jones, when all she does are a few e-mails, as an issue is not worth a whole heap of beans, frankly I would be more concerned about some religious fruitcake with access to DNA genetic spliceing techniques, bio-engineering smallpox.

Two steps forwards, four steps backwards.

Well that has been the way of the world since it started!:cool:

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    self build desktop PC
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    Memory
    4 x 1 Gigabyte sticks
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Cooler Master Stacker
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mitsumi
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    3.6 Mbps HSDPA
Gunther, this thread is now, "The World According to Adrian Wainer"... we're not entitled to our opinions. :shock:

Lessee lessee... now where did I put that unsubscribe button? Oh that's right, I've got it right here! See ya.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Fumz' Flux-Capacitor
    CPU
    E8400
    Motherboard
    DFI LP DK P35-T2RS
    Memory
    4GB G.Skill PC-1066
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA 8800 GTS
    Sound Card
    X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 226BW
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    500GB W.D. RE2 Primary
    PSU
    Case
    Lian Li Lancool K62
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech G5
    Internet Speed
    2.5MB/430
    Other Info
    D-Link DGL 4500
wow.. are you guys done.

Personally that last quote of yours.. Fumz saying he doesn't know anything about the game, nor do i really care, how is that a personal attack, Thats just His opinion just as you stated everyone has the right to..

My point being [ in relation to Fumz's comment re FSX ] is that if one [ ie Fumz ] is going to make personal criticisms of another poster, it might be desirable to have some knowledge of the matter one was basing one's criticism on.

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    self build desktop PC
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    Memory
    4 x 1 Gigabyte sticks
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Cooler Master Stacker
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mitsumi
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    3.6 Mbps HSDPA
Gunther, this thread is now, "The World According to Adrian Wainer"... we're not entitled to our opinions. :shock:

Lessee lessee... now where did I put that unsubscribe button? Oh that's right, I've got it right here! See ya.

I do not understand what you are talking about it, please give me a concrete example of how I sought to deny anyone the right to express their opinions?

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    self build desktop PC
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    Memory
    4 x 1 Gigabyte sticks
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Cooler Master Stacker
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mitsumi
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    3.6 Mbps HSDPA
I'm not confusing you with God Adrian. Because you lack the power to deny people the right to express their opinions, obviously, nobody can point out that you did. What I can point out though is page after incessant page of quote trains where you dutifully rip all opinions that do not mirror your own. However, I've already covered that and told you I thought it was a little on the rude and disrespectful side, so don't now claim you're unaware... and by "a little on the rude side" I mean it's rude and obnoxious to quote train everyone to death.

I honestly stopped reading what you had to say pages back because of them, they're just so many of them and each one just soooo long it made my eyes hurt.

As for your claim I made an attack on you. I did no such thing at all. The only thing I've "attacked" in this thread was the poor coding of your beloved game which you have just gone on and on and on about. *sigh* Whoops, my bad. I shall not make that mistake again... :rolleyes:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Fumz' Flux-Capacitor
    CPU
    E8400
    Motherboard
    DFI LP DK P35-T2RS
    Memory
    4GB G.Skill PC-1066
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA 8800 GTS
    Sound Card
    X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 226BW
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    500GB W.D. RE2 Primary
    PSU
    Case
    Lian Li Lancool K62
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech G5
    Internet Speed
    2.5MB/430
    Other Info
    D-Link DGL 4500
Enough!!

Stop bitching or I will lock it.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 11 Workstation
    Manufacturer/Model
    doofenshmirtz evil incorporated
    CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
    Motherboard
    Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
    Memory
    Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 64GB (4x16GB) 3600MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB ROG Strix LC OC
    Sound Card
    Creative
    Monitor(s) Displays
    3 x27" Dell U2724D & 1 x 34" Dell U3415W
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 2280 PCI-e 4.0 x4 NVMe Solid State
    Drive
    PSU
    1500W ThermalTake Toughpower
    Case
    ThermalTake Level 10 GT
    Cooling
    Enermax Liqtech 240
    Keyboard
    Surface Ergonomic.
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    350 Mb/s
    Other Info
    WinTV NovaTD
    HP CP1515n Color Laser
    Sony BD-5300S-0B Blu-ray Writer
    Microsoft LifeCam Cinema
    APC 750i Smart UPS
  • Operating System
    windows 10
    Manufacturer/Model
    Surface Pro 3
    CPU
    1.9GHz Intel Core i5-4300U (dual-core, 3MB cache, up to 2.9GHz with Turbo Boost)
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4400
    Monitor(s) Displays
    12" Multi Touch
    Screen Resolution
    2160 x 144
    Hard Drives
    128GB
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Keyboard
    yes
    Internet Speed
    350 Mb/s
Anybody have an idea how would virtualizeing the four cores in to eight have an effect either posative or negative.

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    self build desktop PC
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    Memory
    4 x 1 Gigabyte sticks
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Cooler Master Stacker
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mitsumi
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    3.6 Mbps HSDPA
I did have some Knowledge on the matter.. I've played the game, not to mention I read your guys entire little discussion, Quote train, handsome frog fest. whatever it might have been. and i simply thought enough was enough. thats why I said Wow, are you guys done..

As z3r said above, Stop bitching or he will lock the thread. I've only said one thing in here, and you quoted it. I was just trying to get the annoying argument and what not, to stop..

That would be nice, for others to get amplid's Thread locked because you didn't wanna hear anything bad about a game you enjoy or what not.
Personally I was not impressed and uninstalled the Demo.

but thats just my OPINION. everyone has there own taste in games. doesn't mean the game sucks. just means I didn't enjoy it all that much. and that others might have a different thought about it.

and no I don't know much about Virtualizing 4 cores into 8.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q9650 E0 4.0 GHz @1.304v
    Motherboard
    eVGA 750i FTW
    Memory
    2x2GB Corsair Dominator PC2-8500C5D
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA/MSI GTX 260 SLI
    Sound Card
    X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung T240 & 226BW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200 & 1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Seagate Cuda 500GB 32mb Cache SATA 7200.(11) + 500GB Seagate Cuda External eSATA, USB, FW400
    PSU
    PC P&C 750w Silencer PSU
    Case
    CoolerMaster HAF 932 (Water-Cooled)
    Cooling
    Plenty of Fans, and a few 230mm Fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech G11
    Mouse
    Logitech MX-518
    Other Info
    ASUS 20x Optical, Bose Companion 3, ATH-AD500 Cans :), Patriot Xporter 16GB Flash Drive (Very Fast), & Sandisk Micro 8GB.

Nikon D40 DSLR with 18-105mm VR & 55-200mm VR
Gunther, then what is it everywhere, saying that dual core are better for gaming (the games of today)? Is there any truth in there and is a quad simply better as for in the future, or are the numbers (2 or 4) really more important?

Thanks for cutting off the discussion, guys...:p

Amplid

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Q9550 @ 3.2 GHz (for now)
    Motherboard
    Asus ROG Striker 2 Extreme
    Memory
    2 x 2Gb Patriot DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX GeForce 9800 GTX+