No sound on Windows Vista sometimes

Hi,
It's ok don't worry, take your time, things then get sorted.
Do the malwarebytes scan when you are able, it will take time to scan, depending on how much is on the computer.
But let it finish, I am interested in the results of this scan to make sure it is clean.
The norton thing will wait for now, return later to that one.
Cheers, thank's for the reply.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hewlett-Packard SR5019UK
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 processor 3800 + 2.40GHz
    Motherboard
    M2N68-LA (Narra)
    Memory
    2.50GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GeForce
    Sound Card
    Realtec ALC888 Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" LCD Monitor
    Hard Drives
    160 Gb Usable Hard Drive
    Other Info
    HP G56 Laptop Win 7 64bit. 4Gb Ram DDR2's. Hitachi 450Gb Hard Drive. Pentium(R) Duel-Core CPU.
Hi,
It's ok don't worry, take your time, things then get sorted.
Do the malwarebytes scan when you are able, it will take time to scan, depending on how much is on the computer.
But let it finish, I am interested in the results of this scan to make sure it is clean.
The norton thing will wait for now, return later to that one.
Cheers, thank's for the reply.

Hi,
I'm sorry about replying to this a bit late and I'm afraid I still haven't had the chance to do a malwarebytes scan since it would probably take a very long time to completely do on my computer (especially since I have about 120GB of stuff on it, out of 450GB free). I might try and do one tomorrow, but I might not have enough time to do a scan until the weekend.

Sorry about this taking such a long time.

My Computer

That is ok, as I said when you have time.
I realised that you would have quite bit downloaded from the internet, that you use it quite a lot.
That is why the malwarebytes especially is important to properly, make sure nothing nasty is on your computer.
With that in mind, it is why I recommended MSE as AV, malwarebytes, and others to follow.
Remember, take your time & just let us know when you've finished the scan.
Any thing you're not sure of don't hesitate to ask, no matter how small, OK?
Good Luck.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hewlett-Packard SR5019UK
    CPU
    Motherboard
    M2N68-LA (Narra)
    Memory
    2.50GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GeForce
    Sound Card
    Realtec ALC888 Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" LCD Monitor
    Hard Drives
    160 Gb Usable Hard Drive
    Other Info
    HP G56 Laptop Win 7 64bit. 4Gb Ram DDR2's. Hitachi 450Gb Hard Drive. Pentium(R) Duel-Core CPU.
That is ok, as I said when you have time.
I realised that you would have quite bit downloaded from the internet, that you use it quite a lot.
That is why the malwarebytes especially is important to properly, make sure nothing nasty is on your computer.
With that in mind, it is why I recommended MSE as AV, malwarebytes, and others to follow.
Remember, take your time & just let us know when you've finished the scan.
Any thing you're not sure of don't hesitate to ask, no matter how small, OK?
Good Luck.

I'll try and do the malwarebytes scan tomorrow since it's Saturday and I should have enough time to do it.
My sound has been working fine for two days though, thankfully. But I don't think that means it is fine because it was fine for about a week and then the sound started going off again.

My Computer

This is what I would do.
Go to the sound driver website for your device and download the latest driver
then go to device manager and update your driver, choose browse my computer and go to the downloaded file, Reboot after.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo Thinkpad T400
    CPU
    Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8700 @ 2.53GHz
    Motherboard
    LENOVO 64734VM
    Memory
    2.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Sound Card
    Conexant 20561 SmartAudio HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    1x 180GB Intel 530 series SSD
    1 x 120GB Hitachi 5400rmp
    1 x 650GB Western Digital Elements 5400rpm
    1x 1Tb Western Digital Elements 5400rpm
    Internet Speed
    Medium for New Zealand
    Other Info
    Weakest part of my computer is the graphics chipset.
    Only ever used a laptop.
    Also use USB Freeview TV Card
    Lenovo Docking Station
    External Speakers
    Other bits a pieces as needed
This is what I would do.
then go to device manager and update your driver, choose browse my computer and go to the downloaded file, Reboot after.

Thanks for the advice, I will try that out if all else fails, but I might just try it out anyway.

Kesume, I know this may sound a bit odd, but I am not actually sure how to do a malwarebytes scan, lol. The only scan options on MSE are quick scan, full scan and custom scan, I thought malwarebytes scan would be under custom, but it doesn't seem to be. Would a full scan be pretty the same as a malwarebytes scan?

My Computer

Malwarebytes is a separate program.

The free version is all that you need.

Malwarebytes

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Compaq/SR5130NX
    CPU
    AMD AthlonTM 64x2 3800+
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE
This is what I would do.

Thanks for the advice, I will try that out if all else fails, but I might just try it out anyway.

Kesume, I know this may sound a bit odd, but I am not actually sure how to do a malwarebytes scan, lol. The only scan options on MSE are quick scan, full scan and custom scan, I thought malwarebytes scan would be under custom, but it doesn't seem to be. Would a full scan be pretty the same as a malwarebytes scan?

hey.. check that your service for audio is running Ctrl Alt Delete-> task manager-> services-> Audiosrv make sure it has a pid, and is set to running. i have had a few weird days when i have booted and the service isn't running.

My Computer

Ardneh
Thank's for that reminder.
It was about 3 days ago when it was first mentioned, I guess it is easy to forget in the circumstances.
Take your time uralowl, full scan.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hewlett-Packard SR5019UK
    CPU
    Motherboard
    M2N68-LA (Narra)
    Memory
    2.50GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GeForce
    Sound Card
    Realtec ALC888 Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" LCD Monitor
    Hard Drives
    160 Gb Usable Hard Drive
    Other Info
Ardneh, okay, thanks for letting me know. I completely forget malwarebytes was a different program, lol.

Veniteo, I did that and it said it was running, but my sound was working at that time. But I will try it out if the sound ever stops working again.

Kesume, I did a full scan and it came back completely clean aside from a low risk cookie which was removed. I'm afraid I still haven't done the malwarebytes scan yet, but I will try to do it tomorrow. I was originally going to do it today, but you won't believe the bad luck I had, my kitchen was half-flooded out because the neighbours in the flat above had one of their pipes loose and the water was leaking into my kitchen. It is all a bit off topic, but it is going to be fixed on Monday and the neighbours can't use the water in their kitchen until then.

Would of done the malwarebytes scan if it wasn't for me having to mop up my kitchen, lol.

My Computer

Sounds like you've had a hell of a day?
Low rate cookie, that's ok?
The malware do when you can,get settled in without water lapping around your ankles!LoL!
Hope water didn't do too much damage?
Thank's for keeping me 'in the loop'.
Cheers.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hewlett-Packard SR5019UK
    CPU
    Motherboard
    M2N68-LA (Narra)
    Memory
    2.50GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GeForce
    Sound Card
    Realtec ALC888 Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" LCD Monitor
    Hard Drives
    160 Gb Usable Hard Drive
    Other Info
Sounds like you've had a hell of a day?
Low rate cookie, that's ok?
The malware do when you can,get settled in without water lapping around your ankles!LoL!
Hope water didn't do too much damage?
Thank's for keeping me 'in the loop'.
Cheers.

Yeah, it has been pretty nightmarish, lol.
I have had low rate cookies on my computer before and I have always gotten them removed when I've done a scan.
lol, will do. Like I said, I will probably do it tomorrow if the kitchen doesn't flood again.
Well, it ruined a lot of books and folders, but it didn't do any damage to anything electrical.
You're welcome.

My Computer

Good nothing electrical, that could have been dangerous!
Hope the books & folders were not too important?
Cheers.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hewlett-Packard SR5019UK
    CPU
    Motherboard
    M2N68-LA (Narra)
    Memory
    2.50GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GeForce
    Sound Card
    Realtec ALC888 Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" LCD Monitor
    Hard Drives
    160 Gb Usable Hard Drive
    Other Info
Good nothing electrical, that could have been dangerous!
Hope the books & folders were not too important?
Cheers.

I know, but thankfully the only thing I think the water could of reached was the oven's power socket, but it was switched off.
Well unfortunately, some of the folders were quite important, but a lot of the work can probably be reprinted from my computer if the files are still saved on here.

As for the malwarebytes scan, I asked my friend if she could do it for me while I sorted out the kitchen. She said it all came back clean, but she didn't leave it on for me to see, lol. :rolleyes:

My Computer

That's great if it all came out zero!
Was it full scan?
If it was and all clear `i would attempt some of the thing already suggested in the previous posts, that maybe you were holding off until later.
Did you visit the manufacturers links I posted (some time ago now) & check out the drivers etc?
As you use the internet a lot & also download frequently, I would like to suggest other security software for you to download if that is ok with you? It is ultimately for your computers safety!
Let me know when you post back.
Cheers.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hewlett-Packard SR5019UK
    CPU
    Motherboard
    M2N68-LA (Narra)
    Memory
    2.50GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GeForce
    Sound Card
    Realtec ALC888 Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" LCD Monitor
    Hard Drives
    160 Gb Usable Hard Drive
    Other Info
That's great if it all came out zero!
Was it full scan?
If it was and all clear `i would attempt some of the thing already suggested in the previous posts, that maybe you were holding off until later.
Did you visit the manufacturers links I posted (some time ago now) & check out the drivers etc?
As you use the internet a lot & also download frequently, I would like to suggest other security software for you to download if that is ok with you? It is ultimately for your computers safety!
Let me know when you post back.
Cheers.

Yeah, I told her to do the full scan.
Yeah, I've visited all the links you've posted and I have bookmarked most of them.
That's fine, although hopefully it will all be free, lol.

My Computer

Hi,
Sorry for the delay.
It's all good news. We have been through various tests, scans, tweaking, checking, mopping (sorry) sweeping new AV's.

your sound is working, but we don't know if we managed to find the answer?
Only if it goes off soon will we know we didn't! Hope not!LoL!

I would offer you two more important programmes to download for your computer security.
If you go back into Filehippo and this time type superantispyware and please download.
Also an online scan - excellent product called eset.
www.eset.com/online-scanner
These with the ones already recommended are a formidable barrier to any 'enemies'

Finally I would, as you download a greatdeal from the internetr, consider making some restore points.
This will help if you are in trouble later, you can then at lrast revert to a place in time where you know it was safe.
Any questions please ask, I hope I have managed to cover most things for you & you are happy.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76905-system-restore-how.html
Cheers

http://www.filehippo.com/search?q=superantispyware

Yes indeed they are free

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hewlett-Packard SR5019UK
    CPU
    Motherboard
    M2N68-LA (Narra)
    Memory
    2.50GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GeForce
    Sound Card
    Realtec ALC888 Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" LCD Monitor
    Hard Drives
    160 Gb Usable Hard Drive
    Other Info
Makw sure your sound is on turned on this is how.

1. Control panel
2. then make classsic buttons show
3. Click sounds and make sure that is turned on.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    a6530f Desktop
    CPU
    HP-PAVILION
    Motherboard
    M2N68-LA (Narra3)
    Memory
    8 Gigs of Ram/DDR2 PC2-6400 MB/sec
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
    Sound Card
    Intergrated Realtex ALC888S Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG W40 series widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1600 X 900
    Hard Drives
    1 640 GB Sata transfer rating: 3.0 Gb/sec speed: 7200 RPM
    PSU
    300W
    Case
    Mid-Size ATX
    Keyboard
    HP Multimedia Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000
    Other Info
    Processor: AMD Phenom X3 8450 Operating speed: Up to 2.1 GHz, Number of cores: 3, Socket: AM2+, Bus speed: 3600 MHz HT3 (clocked down to 2000 MHz)

Modem: 56K WinModem/

Supermulti: 16X DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X Ram (+/-)R DL Lightscribe SATA Drive

Menory Card Reader: 15-in-1 Multimedia Card Reader

Media Drive
Hi,
Sorry for the delay.
It's all good news. We have been through various tests, scans, tweaking, checking, mopping (sorry) sweeping new AV's.

your sound is working, but we don't know if we managed to find the answer?
Only if it goes off soon will we know we didn't! Hope not!LoL!

I would offer you two more important programmes to download for your computer security.
If you go back into Filehippo and this time type superantispyware and please download.
Also an online scan - excellent product called eset.
www.eset.com/online-scanner
These with the ones already recommended are a formidable barrier to any 'enemies'

Finally I would, as you download a greatdeal from the internetr, consider making some restore points.
This will help if you are in trouble later, you can then at lrast revert to a place in time where you know it was safe.
Any questions please ask, I hope I have managed to cover most things for you & you are happy.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76905-system-restore-how.html
Cheers

FileHippo.com - Download Free Software

Yes indeed they are free

No problem.

lol, I just never know when the sound is going to work or not, but it has been working fine for about 4 days now so hopefully it will stay that way. That said, it was fine for about a week last time and then it came back, lol.

Okay, thanks for the advice and I will check them out once I have a bit more time.

Will do and thanks again for all the help and advice. :)

My Computer

Hello download malwarebytes Malwarebytes and save it to your desktop, then start a full scan before you go to sleep, when you come back to your computer you will have it done and then you can save the record.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    a6530f Desktop
    CPU
    HP-PAVILION
    Motherboard
    M2N68-LA (Narra3)
    Memory
    8 Gigs of Ram/DDR2 PC2-6400 MB/sec
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
    Sound Card
    Intergrated Realtex ALC888S Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG W40 series widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1600 X 900
    Hard Drives
    1 640 GB Sata transfer rating: 3.0 Gb/sec speed: 7200 RPM
    PSU
    300W
    Case
    Mid-Size ATX
    Keyboard
    HP Multimedia Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000
    Other Info
    Processor: AMD Phenom X3 8450 Operating speed: Up to 2.1 GHz, Number of cores: 3, Socket: AM2+, Bus speed: 3600 MHz HT3 (clocked down to 2000 MHz)

Modem: 56K WinModem/

Supermulti: 16X DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X Ram (+/-)R DL Lightscribe SATA Drive

Menory Card Reader: 15-in-1 Multimedia Card Reader

Media Drive
Back