Norton Ghost and X64 troubles

SteveM,

This is from the Norton Ghost 14.0 Manual and can also be found in the Symantec knowledgebase in an article describing system requirements for Ghost 14.0:

---------------------------------
Component Minimum Requirements

The following Windows 32- or 64-bit operating systems are supported:

■ Windows Vista Home Basic
■ Windows Vista Home Premium
■ Windows Vista Ultimate
■ Windows Vista Business
■ Windows XP Professional/Home (SP2 or later)
■ Windows XP Media Center
---------------------------------

The OP first said he was using Ghost 12.0 but it has the same requirements.

Where did you get the idea that the current version of Ghost was anything other than 14.0? What product are you talking about that is at version "2.0"? If you are talking about Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 2.0, it to is supposed to support Vista x64.

Since knowledgebase articles are not often up-to-date, it would be a good idea for the OP to contact Symantec directly to find out if there are any issues with the version of Ghost he is running and Vista x64. That, or he could go on the wild goose chase you sent him on....

Anyway, you might want to clean up that potty mouth too.....

S-

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel E6600 @ 3.0 GHz
    Motherboard
    EVGA nForce 680i SLI (NF68-A1)
    Memory
    4GB - CORSAIR XMS2 PC2 6400
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS (640MB)
    Hard Drives
    2 - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (320GB)
    1 - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (500GB)
Try this link Steve:

Compatibility of Symantec consumer products with Microsoft Windows operating systems

Anyways, I'm still fuzzy on the difference between "compatible" and "certified."

Heck SOundblaster says their cards are "compatible" with Vista 64. That means you can install them and some sort of sound comes out i guess. Maybe not the sound you wanted but sound nonetheless.

SO what's the concensus. Should I crapcan my Symantic? With the rebate and the gift card from Fries for buying it, it would be a wash to throw it in the dumpster. I guessing that Steve says yes and Kitty says no. I AM experiencing problems with my wireless connections since installing the 2008 security suite. I've used the commercial version of the anti virus for 10 or 15 years and never caught anything. The firewall IS preventing me from doing such destructive acts like installing an add on so a website will work. It DOES act like a freaking Nazi as far as trying to adjust it to some semblance of workability. Hmmmmmmmm what to do........

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9450
    Motherboard
    nForce 790i Ultra SLI(evga)
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    2 e-GeForce 9800GX2(SLI mode)
    Hard Drives
    WD1500AHFD
    (Raptor 150 GB 10,000 RPM)
Dump it!

Symantec has long ago lost their shine.

Avast or Avira and NOD32 for sure are better protectors anyway.

And Comodos firewall is miles better then anything symantec ever dreamed up.

Remember....if its symantec, it's trash.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    My Ever Changing Whim!
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad 9650
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ35JO
    Memory
    6GB Corsair DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS 9800GT Ultimate
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19 inch Sceptre 19 inch Acer
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    1 320GB Seagate SATA
    1 250GB Western Digital SATA
    1 200GB Maxtor SATA
    2x160GB Western Digitals SATA
    1 320GB Seagate External
    1 120GB Western Digital External
    1 80GB Westen Digital External
    1 4GB Crucial Flash Drive for Ready Boost
    PSU
    600watt Fortron Source
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Fresh Air
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonamic 4000
    Mouse
    Razer Diamondback
    Other Info
    My main rig runs Vista Ultimate or Server 2008. Depending on which Acronis image I decide to load.
Done. But I just want to let you know one thing. If a means evil hacker takes control of my computer tonight and uploads a virus that unleashes thermonuclear global warfare causing the destruction of Earth and all life forms I'm going to hold you and Steve personally responsible.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9450
    Motherboard
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    WD1500AHFD
Dump it!

Symantec has long ago lost their shine.

Avast or Avira and NOD32 for sure are better protectors anyway.

And Comodos firewall is miles better then anything symantec ever dreamed up.

Remember....if its symantec, it's trash.

And if Joel tels you that you'll believe anything, his mind stopped at 2006,

My Computer

That may be so, but he at least has some semblance of manners. Your rude, arrogant way of talking to everyone does not inspire any confidence in me that you have knowledge. "I'm right you are wrong, you are an old, inbred idiot" may seem like a logical rejoinder to you, but I find it rather empty and insipid.

It is not outside the realm of posibilities that Joel's mind or Steve's Mind, or Side Winders mind or even my mind stopped at (actually the correct term would be IN) 2006, but at least we all have exhibited that at some point our minds WERE working.

Please have a great day and if you can add some logical reasons or factual information, instead of snide comments and personal attacks, as to why Symantec a good system, I would love to hear them. I still have the program and it's license, I'm merely doing an experiment to see if it is in fact one of the causes of my many computer issues.

Notice that word experiment? I know it seems rather difficult to envision people actually trying different things to make an informed decision based upon person experience and knowledge gathered first hand, but it does happen. I realize that people have prejudices against certain brands or people, but I also realize that most times those prejudice's are based upon sound reasoning and their own personal experiences. In the end though, I am responsible for my own actions and decisions, so I like to experiment when possible. you should try it. Also, perhaps were you to take a less abrasive, less arrogant approach, you might find out WHY Joel and Steve are so against Symantec. I doubt either one came out of the womb and away from their mothers breast with a genetic disposition towards disliking Symantec. I believe we have all read some or most of Steve's reasons, but I am curious about Joel's, (and anyone else who dilikes the product so much).

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9450
    Motherboard
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    WD1500AHFD
If you're looking for arrogance Joel is your man, he talks from the past I talk from the present, have any of you actually tried 2008 or 360, or are you going off the past Nortons, in other words spouting about something you have no experience of.

http://www.bigstarreviews.com/Antivi...ssftwarereview

Read learn and inwardly digest, VIEW gives you the review.

Seems the "inbred idiots" are trying to tell me, something that they know nothing about, the mind is not working properly when it refuses to look forward.

I'd like to know why its rude to enhance a persons knowledge, I thought this was forum for helping people , yet when information about an important improvement is posted personal insults are returned,

Last edited:

My Computer

If you're looking for arrogance Joel is your man, he talks from the past I talk from the present, have any of you actually tried 2008 or 360, or are you going off the past Nortons, in other words spouting about something you have no experience of.

http://www.bigstarreviews.com/Antivi...ssftwarereview

Read learn and inwardly digest, VIEW gives you the review.

Seems the "inbred idiots" are trying to tell me, something that they know nothing about, the mind is not working when it

SO why don't you share your wealth of information with us Jody instead of casting aspersions at everyone? As actually using 2008? Why yes, as a matter of fact I have. Were you to give me some of that "senior product manager for Symantec/Norton Internet Security" wisdom so that everything worked correctly it might cause me to re install it. So far it is not very user friendly, but judging from your comments here that is because I'm just too butt stupid to use it. Is that the official Symantec corporate position or just your personal view point towards your customers or potential customers?

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9450
    Motherboard
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    WD1500AHFD
Bubba: I thank you for your defence, but dont bother. Silver is an old bitter 60 cats in a one bedroom flat kinda guy.

As for my resons for disliking symantec products, the answer is simple. I'm a MCSE, Cisco, A+ and probably a few other certifications I cant remember right now(rough day, lots of virus problems out there). I see computers everyday that come to me with symantec(Norton) AV, Go Back or system works or any number of their stuff on them. They have infections, slow systems, corupt files or any # of other cute little glitches that are driving them crazy. Removing Norton usuall fixes the problem. When I was using Norton myself I began to notice the updates were coming fewer and farther between. I got infected. I need to be able to freely roam the internet without worry of anything getting on my system, Norton cannot give me that peace of mind.

As for Nortons "new" 2008 products. While I dont have them handy I'm sure a google search will find the articles posted around the net telling how Norton 360 litteraly fried several systems.

I have had systems brought to me using Norton 2008 products. Slow systems, infected, I could go on, but why?

If the old man Silver wants to use Norton, only his cats will suffer when his system fries and he has a fit.

So long story a little longer, I don't recomend "any" Norton product because of hands on experience.

Norton=unreliable.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    My Ever Changing Whim!
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad 9650
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ35JO
    Memory
    6GB Corsair DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS 9800GT Ultimate
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    1 320GB Seagate SATA
    1 200GB Maxtor SATA
    1 320GB Seagate External
    PSU
    600watt Fortron Source
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Fresh Air
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Razer Diamondback
    Other Info
    My main rig runs Vista Ultimate or Server 2008. Depending on which Acronis image I decide to load.
This has got so far off topic now, and doesnt help :(

Yes it has but only because Joel is thrashing about trying to defend an untenable position,

It comes hard to admit your in the wrong, especially when he has such a high opinion of himself,

I'm only trying to make him a better techie, to keep an open mind and get up-to-date with the latest applications,

All his wild stories make him a little ridiculous, but if he doesn't want to learn, thats his problem, not mine, I can only advise, the way forward.

My Computer

Prehaps you should stick to what you know best.

Cleaning litter boxes.

The way forward is definitly not by going "back" to Norton.

What do you run, Windows 95?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    My Ever Changing Whim!
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad 9650
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ35JO
    Memory
    6GB Corsair DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS 9800GT Ultimate
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    1 320GB Seagate SATA
    1 200GB Maxtor SATA
    1 320GB Seagate External
    PSU
    600watt Fortron Source
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Fresh Air
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Razer Diamondback
    Other Info
Prehaps you should stick to what you know best.

Cleaning litter boxes.

The way forward is definitly not by going "back" to Norton.

What do you run, Windows 95?

Insults are the lost cause, sad really when I gave you good advice, still I suppose your motto is "Ignorance is bliss"

Carry on bodging, it seems to be your forte.

My Computer

Bubba: I thank you for your defence, but dont bother. Silver is an old bitter 60 cats in a one bedroom flat kinda guy.

As for my resons for disliking symantec products, the answer is simple. I'm a MCSE, Cisco, A+ and probably a few other certifications I cant remember right now(rough day, lots of virus problems out there). I see computers everyday that come to me with symantec(Norton) AV, Go Back or system works or any number of their stuff on them. They have infections, slow systems, corupt files or any # of other cute little glitches that are driving them crazy. Removing Norton usuall fixes the problem. When I was using Norton myself I began to notice the updates were coming fewer and farther between. I got infected. I need to be able to freely roam the internet without worry of anything getting on my system, Norton cannot give me that peace of mind.

As for Nortons "new" 2008 products. While I dont have them handy I'm sure a google search will find the articles posted around the net telling how Norton 360 litteraly fried several systems.

I have had systems brought to me using Norton 2008 products. Slow systems, infected, I could go on, but why?

If the old man Silver wants to use Norton, only his cats will suffer when his system fries and he has a fit.

So long story a little longer, I don't recomend "any" Norton product because of hands on experience.

Norton=unreliable.

Quite frankly, if you're computer savvy enough, you don't really need an antivirus. However, it is good to have regardless of your computer experience. I remember a few years back that I ran an internet capable system for two years without a single antivirus or antispyware installed on it and the only reason it went the way of the dodo was a bad power supply unit that I simply didn't feel like replacing on such an already obsolete computer.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Velocity Micro, HP Pavillion
    CPU
    Intel 2 Quad Core Q9400, AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400+
    Memory
    8 GBs DDR3, 4 GB DDR2 PC5300 (667 MHZ)
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVIDIA GTS 250 (over clocked), nVIDIA 6150SE n430
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w1907
    PSU
    440 Watts
    Case
    Velocity Micro
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15
    Mouse
    Trackman Marble ++
    Internet Speed
    2 mbps
Would you employ a technician who admits he knows nothing about modern applications, hes probably OK conning old ladies, doesn't really know how to check a system, after all, if an application is not working you check to see if its installed properly, and not corrupted, if its a subscription one, check the subscription, you certainly don't just rip things out just because you have a prejudice against them,

No I'm afraid its a case of lack of up-to-date knowledge, on latest products, a person who doesn't want to learn, will never pass muster as a technician.

Remember experience is the best teacher, use modern applications to learn of advances being made, dwelling on past issues teaches you nothing, you merely stagnate.

My Computer

Self description is not nesassary Silver. We figured you out 50 post ago.

Modern, uptodate. Doubt your anywhere near anything the remotely resembles those terms.

Ever heard of NOD32, Avira, Avast, Kaspersky, Sopos.

"Think"...modern.

Curious. Why when a moderator replies to your praises of Norton products as "crap" you didnt respond to him??

Curious.

Get out of Nortons litter box and get beck to school and see whats happening "now" in the "modern" world. Not 8 years ago with a long defunct company.

I more up-to-date then you are anichent.

Everone who I free from Nortons clutches repeaedly thank me everytime they see me.

I get lots of thanks.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    My Ever Changing Whim!
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad 9650
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ35JO
    Memory
    6GB Corsair DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS 9800GT Ultimate
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    1 320GB Seagate SATA
    1 200GB Maxtor SATA
    1 320GB Seagate External
    PSU
    600watt Fortron Source
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Fresh Air
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Razer Diamondback
    Other Info
EDIT: Forget it, not worth the electrons in cyber-space.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9450
    Motherboard
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    WD1500AHFD
Self description is not nesassary Silver. We figured you out 50 post ago.

You mean you realised I was right,

Modern, uptodate. Doubt your anywhere near anything the remotely resembles those terms.

Thats rich coming from someone who lacks the intelligence to try new products,

Ever heard of NOD32, Avira, Avast, Kaspersky, Sopos.

Of course I have some are better than others, unlike you I check,

"Think"...modern.

You should try that yourself.

Curious. Why when a moderator replies to your praises of Norton products as "crap" you didnt respond to him??

Curious.

I can't help it, if hes as bad as you, the difference is you put yourself forward as some kind of wonderman, when you aren't. you're a bodger pretending to be a technician.

Get out of Nortons litter box and get beck to school and see whats happening "now" in the "modern" world. Not 8 years ago with a long defunct company.

:D Listen to yourself, its you thats living in the past, you're beginning to babble.

I more up-to-date then you are anichent.

:D :D :D :D Whats "ANICHENT" afraid I don't know many foreign languages.:D

Everone who I free from Nortons clutches repeaedly thank me everytime they see me.

I get lots of thanks.

Keep on taking the tablets, but you should ask the doctor for stronger ones, the present ones aren't working, you're still having delusions of grandeur.

My Computer

Can the sales rep answer a simple question. Why, when you buy a pre-built system from a shop does it inevitably come with either Norton or McAfee pre-installed? Is it because that is the only way for them to sell their products? The other vendors, viz Kaspersky, Avast, Sophos etc don't see the need to market their product(s) in this way. Their reputation is sufficient. Before you criticise me, I have to admit that I did use NIS2007 last year, but that is the last time I will be using Norton/Symantec products. I had problems installing it - even on a clean install of Vista, it would sometimes register in the Security Center and sometimes it would not. This is despite doing the installation in EXACTLY the same way each time. Another thing - it would not always update properly, sometimes there would be a few days between updates. Even when it did update, it would sometimes fail to install them properly. This year, I am using Kaspersky, and I haven't had a single problem with it.
Dwarf

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dwarf Dwf/11/2012 r09/2013
    CPU
    Intel Core-i5-3570K 4-core @ 3.4GHz (Ivy Bridge) (OC 4.2GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M
    Memory
    4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B (16GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GeForce GTX770 Gaming OC 2GB
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition on board solution (ALC 898)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ViewSonic VA1912w Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    OCZ Agility 3 120GB SATA III x2 (RAID 0)
    Samsung HD501LJ 500GB SATA II x2
    Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB SATA II
    Iomega 1.5TB Ext USB 2.0
    WD 2.0TB Ext USB 3.0
    PSU
    XFX Pro Series 850W Semi-Modular
    Case
    Gigabyte IF233
    Cooling
    1 x 120mm Front Inlet 1 x 120mm Rear Exhaust
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 3000 (USB)
    Mouse
    Microsoft Comfort Mouse 3000 for Business (USB)
    Internet Speed
    NetGear DG834Gv3 ADSL Modem/Router (Ethernet) ~4.0 Mb/s (O2)
    Other Info
    Optical Drive: HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30 SATA Bluray
    Lexmark S305 Printer/Scanner/Copier (USB)
    WEI Score: 8.1/8.1/8.5/8.5/8.25
    Asus Eee PC 1011PX Netbook (Windows 7 x86 Starter)
When you finaly grow up(and its long overdue. Probably why you live with nothing but cats). You'll thank me as well.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    My Ever Changing Whim!
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad 9650
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ35JO
    Memory
    6GB Corsair DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS 9800GT Ultimate
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    1 320GB Seagate SATA
    1 200GB Maxtor SATA
    1 320GB Seagate External
    PSU
    600watt Fortron Source
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Fresh Air
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Razer Diamondback
    Other Info
Back