Solved Notepad opens for no reason?

Check this Tutorial http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/84215-folder-options.html and select the option Show hidden files and folders and deselect Hide extensions for known file types. You can also optionally deselect the option Hide protected operating system files (Recommended). What I am interested in is: Are your files showing the correct file extension?
i never checked it before, but yes. (im using norton as my example) but norton is labled as a .EXE, and for it to open in notepad it should be a .txt right.

My Computer

Check this Tutorial http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/84215-folder-options.html and select the option Show hidden files and folders and deselect Hide extensions for known file types. You can also optionally deselect the option Hide protected operating system files (Recommended). What I am interested in is: Are your files showing the correct file extension?
i never checked it before, but yes. (im using norton as my example) but norton is labled as a .EXE, and for it to open in notepad it should be a .txt right.

EXE is the correct extension for norton. now if you rgiht click that file it doesn't give you the option to open with...?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated intel 945
    Sound Card
    integrated
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    300 gig internal
    Internet Speed
    10 down 1.5 up

EXE is the correct extension for norton. now if you rgiht click that file it doesn't give you the option to open with...?
no there is no "open with" selection. the icon isnt changed eather. its just the regular Norton icon. and when i click on it, it brings it up in notepad

My Computer

no there is no "open with" selection. the icon isnt changed eather. its just the regular Norton icon. and when i click on it, it brings it up in notepad

OK so the most important exetension to revert back to default is exe. so If you go to the tutorial and down load the "exe" fix it will revert exe back to default.

try it a nd let us know how it works

ken

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated intel 945
    Sound Card
    integrated
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    300 gig internal
    Internet Speed
    10 down 1.5 up
oh... Norton worked!!! so now i just do this with every other file and it should be fixed? will the random notepad openings stop from this? also sorry to z3r010 for not listening, i didnt understand the tutorial before, but now that i went through with it. turns out he had the answer all along =Dhttp://www.vistax64.com/member.php?u=1

My Computer

Hello, I am new here as well, but I may have another solution, you mentioned that the PC is brand new. I tend to want to fix things with sledghammers but have you considered restoring the pc using the system restore method that came with the PC? If this is a NEW pc then that should help a lot, as it seems you are getting a lot of issues out of the box, also with an issue like this (and this is from the perspective of a former computer sales person) you wonder what other issues a brand new system would have if you are getting this out of the box. I may have misunderstood a bit as I read this entire thread in about 4 minutes.

Good luck with this.
-kenneth

EDIT: After reading further I see this was already offered and rejected. Never mind:)

My Computer

oh... Norton worked!!! so now i just do this with every other file and it should be fixed? will the random notepad openings stop from this? also sorry to z3r010 for not listening, i didnt understand the tutorial before, but now that i went through with it. turns out he had the answer all along =D

Yep restore every extension that needs it. when you have it fixed do yourself a favor and do a backup

ken

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated intel 945
    Sound Card
    integrated
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    300 gig internal
    Internet Speed
    10 down 1.5 up
Hello, I am new here as well, but I may have another solution, you mentioned that the PC is brand new. I tend to want to fix things with sledghammers but have you considered restoring the pc using the system restore method that came with the PC? If this is a NEW pc then that should help a lot, as it seems you are getting a lot of issues out of the box, also with an issue like this (and this is from the perspective of a former computer sales person) you wonder what other issues a brand new system would have if you are getting this out of the box. I may have misunderstood a bit as I read this entire thread in about 4 minutes.

Good luck with this.
-kenneth

EDIT: After reading further I see this was already offered and rejected. Never mind:)

Ken

Welcome to vistax64 and thanks for rewading the thread. Im with you on this one I give it a reboot and maybe a quick look in event viewer then its clean install time for me.

ken

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated intel 945
    Sound Card
    integrated
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    300 gig internal
    Internet Speed
    10 down 1.5 up
oh... Norton worked!!! so now i just do this with every other file and it should be fixed? will the random notepad openings stop from this? also sorry to z3r010 for not listening, i didnt understand the tutorial before, but now that i went through with it. turns out he had the answer all along =D

Yep restore every extension that needs it. when you have it fixed do yourself a favor and do a backup

ken
hey, ken thanks so much for sticking with me and helping me figure out this problem.

My Computer

ken
hey, ken thanks so much for sticking with me and helping me figure out this problem.

No problem, did you get them all back to default?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated intel 945
    Sound Card
    integrated