NVIDIA drivers causing BSOD's

The fans blow perfectly, but I'm afraid that's indeed a spaghetti junction of cables :p

:(.... i had this EXACT issue with my 8800GT, it was idle @ 60c & gaming would push it up in the 90c area... i recently bought a new case & there is not a cable in sight & the 8800 has dropped 20c...:eek:

there is another thing to consider.....the G92 is prone to an uncontrollable heat up after 6 months of solid use (not really a problem with the newer ones, but the originals were dying left, right & center), how long have you had your 8800..??

if cable management does not solve the excess heat, you may need to reapply the thermal paste to the underside of the heat sink...... its not a pleasant job, but it could be the difference between a card which loads @ 60c rather than 90c..

or ends up being a nice looking paperweight..

:)SK

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    ME.....
    CPU
    Q9450 @ 3.6ghz
    Motherboard
    P5K PREMIUM
    Memory
    8GB 1066mhz buffalo firestix
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD 5970
    Monitor(s) Displays
    20'' syncmaster
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    160GB 7200RPM SEAGATE BARRACUDA IDE
    160GB 7200RPM SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA 2
    PSU
    XCILIO 850w
    Case
    unknown ATX
    Cooling
    Arctic cooler pro 775
    Keyboard
    logitech EX110
    Mouse
    logitech cordless optical
    Internet Speed
    2mb
My geforce is almost one year old now :). If it's the cables that are causing the trouble, is there any other way instead of buying a new case?

My Computer

My geforce is almost one year old now :). If it's the cables that are causing the trouble, is there any other way instead of buying a new case?

yes mate....... but it involves stripping your PC down & starting again, re route all the cables away from the GPU, do you have a spare PCI slot below the card..??, if so you could purchase one of these....

PCI GPU COOLER

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    ME.....
    CPU
    Q9450 @ 3.6ghz
    Motherboard
    P5K PREMIUM
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD 5970
    Monitor(s) Displays
    20'' syncmaster
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    XCILIO 850w
    Case
    unknown ATX
    Cooling
    Arctic cooler pro 775
    Keyboard
    logitech EX110
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    2mb
The fans blow perfectly, but I'm afraid that's indeed a spaghetti junction of cables :p

:(.... i had this EXACT issue with my 8800GT, it was idle @ 60c & gaming would push it up in the 90c area... i recently bought a new case & there is not a cable in sight & the 8800 has dropped 20c...:eek:

thats because of the fan profile mate nvidia didnt see fit to make a decent one for the G92 the fan doesnt go over 30% till the card reaches 80 degrees!! , the only way to keep an 8800GT safe is to use riva tuner and set a custom temperature triggered fan profile as i have , thats why (in my opinion the 8800GT's were failing quickly) Its a fantastic card , im due an upgrade very soon and in going to miss it.

beast your temperature seem abbsolutely fine now what have you done? your 3v side is a tad low though but thhis could be a sensor glitch , what psu do you have?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 @ 4Gig / Titan Fenir
    Motherboard
    XFX 780i
    Memory
    4GB OCZ PC2-8500C5 DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gainward GTX260/216 SLI
    Sound Card
    Creative X-FI Xtreme Gamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell UltraSharp 2209WA 22"
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    western digital raptor 10000rpm sata
    PSU
    OCZ Modstream 700w
    Cooling
    Titan Fenir
    Keyboard
    Razer Reclusa
    Mouse
    Logitech G5 Gamer
    Internet Speed
    8mb

thats because of the fan profile mate nvidia didnt see fit to make a decent one for the G92 the fan doesnt go over 30% till the card reaches 80 degrees!! , the only way to keep an 8800GT safe is to use riva tuner and set a custom temperature triggered fan profile as i have , thats why (in my opinion the 8800GT's were failing quickly) Its a fantastic card , im due an upgrade very soon and in going to miss it.

beast your temperature seem abbsolutely fine now what have you done? your 3v side is a tad low though but thhis could be a sensor glitch , what psu do you have?

i know ;), hence the fact i stated the fan needs to be set @ 100% via RT or similar S/W.

beast your temperature seem absolutely fine
i dont really understand this Archie, his card being well in the 70s after a few minutes gaming is NOT fine, its very hot & is bound to cause problems pretty soon....

its either a cable management problem or it is in fact suffering from the dreaded G92 oven syndrome.....:p, you may need to re seat the heat sink if you cant get the temps down.....

can you post up a pic of the interior, then we can better asses the situation..??

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    ME.....
    CPU
    Q9450 @ 3.6ghz
    Motherboard
    P5K PREMIUM
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD 5970
    Monitor(s) Displays
    20'' syncmaster
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    XCILIO 850w
    Case
    unknown ATX
    Cooling
    Arctic cooler pro 775
    Keyboard
    logitech EX110
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    2mb
Alright, this is a photo of the inside. I hope you can see what you need to see :)

lol.......not really :p, all i can see is the top of the 8800s PCB.

i need to see the area below the card...... but looking at that pic i have a pretty good idea of what the bottom will look like...

that funnel on the CPU has gotta go..... the fan you have strapped to the rear of your case is completly blocked & is doing nothing except burning out its motor..

you need to get yourself one of these...

arctic_freezer_7pro.jpg

then your case will begin to cool a little better as you have the ''front to back'' flow.

but that cant happen until you loose that loom of wiring next to the HDDs, that will stop all airflow in its tracks.

you may well not be able to re route the wires as your PSU may not have long enough cables.. but im sure we can clean them up a little.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    ME.....
    CPU
    Q9450 @ 3.6ghz
    Motherboard
    P5K PREMIUM
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD 5970
    Monitor(s) Displays
    20'' syncmaster
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    XCILIO 850w
    Case
    unknown ATX
    Cooling
    Arctic cooler pro 775
    Keyboard
    logitech EX110
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    2mb
No problem. If you can take a screenshot of the side of the case so we can see everything inside then we can better tell you where to place things and how to route cables.

Definately take off the funnel for starters

Il help with bios settings once you get the inside of the pc sorted out :)

My Computer

i know ;), hence the fact i stated the fan needs to be set @ 100% via RT or similar S/W.

i dont really understand this Archie, his card being well in the 70s after a few minutes gaming is NOT fine, its very hot & is bound to cause problems pretty soon....

its either a cable management problem or it is in fact suffering from the dreaded G92 oven syndrome.....:p, you may need to re seat the heat sink if you cant get the temps down.....

can you post up a pic of the interior, then we can better asses the situation..??

70 degrees is fine 100 degrees is fine , not ideal but ok ,the core isnt set to clock down to 2d speeds until it reaches 125 degrees c , , have you heard the 8800gt at 100% it makes more noise than low flying aircraft ;)

if your gonna set a permmanent fan speed EVGA tool is the best option and set it up through there via profiles , no need for riva tuner , set it to say 60% and run your game 100% is never necessary

all this however is an argument that could go on and on and until we see a dmp file we will never know , i do know one thing though as i keep saying , when your cpu gets too hot your system shuts down , when your gpu gets too hot it artifacts and or slows down to 2d speeds , the bluescreen issue isnt with temperature , how can an overheating gpu cause your pc to bluescreen? unless its faulty hardware?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build
    CPU
    Motherboard
    XFX 780i
    Memory
    4GB OCZ PC2-8500C5 DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gainward GTX260/216 SLI
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    OCZ Modstream 700w
    Cooling
    Titan Fenir
    Keyboard
    Razer Reclusa
    Mouse
    Logitech G5 Gamer
    Internet Speed
    8mb

70 degrees is fine 100 degrees is fine , not ideal but ok ,the core isnt set to clock down to 2d speeds until it reaches 125 degrees c , , have you heard the 8800gt at 100% it makes more noise than low flying aircraft ;)

if your gonna set a permmanent fan speed EVGA tool is the best option and set it up through there via profiles , no need for riva tuner , set it to say 60% and run your game 100% is never necessary

all this however is an argument that could go on and on and until we see a dmp file we will never know , i do know one thing though as i keep saying , when your cpu gets too hot your system shuts down , when your gpu gets too hot it artifacts and or slows down to 2d speeds , the bluescreen issue isnt with temperature , how can an overheating gpu cause your pc to bluescreen? unless its faulty hardware?

lol..... i know the fan is very loud, i hear ppl actually use them in Autumn to blow the leaves off they're driveway's :p

i have had plenty of BSODs due to an overheating GPU, i used to own a ''PNY 8800GT'' & this thing was HOT!!

i had to wait till deep winter if i wanted to game b/c it would crap out after 30mins....:(

his case needs some serious rewiring.....

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    ME.....
    CPU
    Q9450 @ 3.6ghz
    Motherboard
    P5K PREMIUM
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD 5970
    Monitor(s) Displays
    20'' syncmaster
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    XCILIO 850w
    Case
    unknown ATX
    Cooling
    Arctic cooler pro 775
    Keyboard
    logitech EX110
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    2mb
ha ha ive just seen the screenshot skunk , it does need some rewiring indeed , infact it looks tiny , mate you need a bigger case first off and foremost ;)

EDIT ...............HANG ON am i seeing right here? is that psu 15A on the 12v rail!!??

does it only have 1 12v rail???!!

a 400w supply with one 12v rail rated at 15 amps is way WAY underpowered for an 8800gt

if i am mistaken and its got dual 12v rails it should be ok as long as you dedicate one rail to the gpu because 400w is really pusing it , id be inclined to upgrade cos its just not good enough

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build
    CPU
    Motherboard
    XFX 780i
    Memory
    4GB OCZ PC2-8500C5 DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gainward GTX260/216 SLI
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    OCZ Modstream 700w
    Cooling
    Titan Fenir
    Keyboard
    Razer Reclusa
    Mouse
    Logitech G5 Gamer
    Internet Speed
    8mb
I don't think this is quite right.. I started HWMonitor about 5 mins ago.. but look closely.. Where has my Geforce gone :p?

Attachments

• HWMonitor.jpg
    HWMonitor.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 54

My Computer

Thats nothing to worry about. HWmonitor doesnt pick up my graphics card either. Although it did on an earlier version :huh: It seems to have problems identifing graphics cards sometimes.

Reboot and it will probably find it again lol. If i were you id be more worried about the inside of the case

My Computer

Alright, almost thought the card melted :p (EDIT: I've put the funnel back and waited for that guy to come this weekend, toh temperature is still pretty stable atm). I've tested something else. The temperature rises from 39 to 70 in about 2 mins tops.. Are you sure that's only caused by the wires and the lack of airflow? It's incredibly fast :confused:.

Last edited:

My Computer

Graphic cards usually run quite hot. By having a small case and wires all over the place your reducing the amount and free movement of the air within the case.

I run a micro-atx case and it only has one fan at the front and only the powersupply fan at the back. To overcome the heat issues i watercool my pc.

You dont have to do the same but cleaning the components and moving the wires and hard drives/dvd drives will see a noticeable drop in your temps.

Post a screenshot of the side of your case and i can tell you where to place drives and how to route the cables.

My Computer

I'm going to let someone come to help me with rearranging my pc this weekend but for now I have also downloaded EVGA precision and set my fan speed to 80%. I've tested it and played a game which normally crashes after a while, but I didn't have one crash! :D I'm not sure about the clocking with that program.. should I lower it, or keep it like it is?

EDIT: I'll also take a picture, will post it soon (will probably be tomorrow)
EDIT: The temperature (idle) has lowered to 62C :cool: Gotta love EVGA :)

Last edited:

My Computer

Ok il take a look once youv posted it.

About EVGA precision iv no idea, sorry. I use ATI so your better waiting on a reply from some nvidia user.

My Computer

I'm going to let someone come to help me with rearranging my pc this weekend but for now I have also downloaded EVGA precision and set my fan speed to 80%. I've tested it and played a game which normally crashes after a while, but I didn't have one crash! :D I'm not sure about the clocking with that program.. should I lower it, or keep it like it is?

EDIT: I'll also take a picture, will post it soon

no if its not crashing now dont underclock it , try and get a good few hours gaming in see how it goes.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build
    CPU
    Motherboard
    XFX 780i
    Memory
    4GB OCZ PC2-8500C5 DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gainward GTX260/216 SLI
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    OCZ Modstream 700w
    Cooling
    Titan Fenir
    Keyboard
    Razer Reclusa
    Mouse
    Logitech G5 Gamer
    Internet Speed
    8mb

EDIT: I'll also take a picture, will post it soon

sounds like a breakthrough.... (to a degree :p)

normal load temprature for a GPU is about 60c, they run very hot....hence the need to improve airflow.

you must also understand how the card you have is designed.... the ''single slot'' G92 is a crap cooling solution, they should of never produced one that was not ''dual slot''..

the problem with the ''single slot'' (apart from the obviously small heatsink) is the fact that it sucks in from the underside & then vents that hot air back into the case....

total stupidity on Nvidia's part, & totally driven by sales :(, so it is ESSENTIAL the underside of the card is clear....

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    ME.....
    CPU
    Q9450 @ 3.6ghz
    Motherboard
    P5K PREMIUM
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)