Overclock 101

Maybe speedstep or whatever they call it. I don't have that board so I don't know what options are in your bios tweaking I'm sorry. If thats what it is don't stress too much, it can be disbaled though some folks leave it on. All it does is slow your processor down when it's not needed to save on power and then brings it back to full speed when needed.

Also some programs read the multiplier kinda weird anyways. The good news is from those pics that your Q6600 is G0 stepping model.

My Computer

Do try something like Everest for monitoring temps though as those programs only show you the single CPU temp not the individual core temps. They will be higher and they are the ones you need to watch.

My Computer

Look at the image below, see how the CPU (in blue) is reported as 29C when in-fact the actual CPU cores (in red) are almost 10degrees higher. Don't trust the single CPU reading as you don;t have a single core CPU.

everesttemps.jpg

My Computer

oh thanx man.
what u said was right my mobo has some feature called NOS so it bascially underclocks your system to save power and overclocks it only when needed....kinda

My Computer

also as soon as i start up and if i check the speed it shows 266 X 9 then after a while it shows 266 x 6
whats happenning??

That is a Power Saving feature called "Speed Step" which is a feature of the chipset/Bios. What it does is sense when the computer isn't under much load, at which time it turns the power/speed down. When the load on the machine picks up, it changes back to full speed.

You can disable it in the Bios (SpeedStep and C1E), but for mild overclocks there's no real reason to. Except maybe you just don't like having a display showing your numbers change...

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Proudly Built by Me!
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Motherboard
    DFI UT LP P35 T2R
    Memory
    8GB OCZ Reaper DDR2 800 C44GK 4-4-4-12 2T
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire Radeon 4870x2
    Sound Card
    AuzenTech Prelude 7.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 Acer P243 24" and 1 Samsung T260 26" Monitor/HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    Both are running at 19x12
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 1TB 7200.11 (Vista x64)
    Seagate 500GB 7200.11 (Win 7 x64)
    PSU
    OCZ GameXtream 900w
    Other Info
    FSB at 400 (1600) Mhz, CPU Multi @ 8 for 3.2Ghz
For Stepping: Think of it like point releases on software, except in the context of a processor. These can occasionally be physical changes in the design or manufacturing process, or more often changes in the microcode instructing the processor how to run.

In the case of a Q66, as already pointed out, there is B3 and G0. G0 is better, and if you bought your processor/computer after last November or so then chances are you have a G0. B3's run a touch warmer, and overclock a hair less than a G0. But IMHO, it's irrelevant unless you are going to go for an aggressive result. You can overclock a B3 just fine.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Proudly Built by Me!
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Motherboard
    DFI UT LP P35 T2R
    Memory
    8GB OCZ Reaper DDR2 800 C44GK 4-4-4-12 2T
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire Radeon 4870x2