Perfect disk versus Diskeeper

Hi Jabu,

how do you explain that PF says frequently that system files need a run and that DK does not do this? Never (while obviously necessary) did DK indicate this. So?

Jabu you are always talking about the system files....why is this?

thanks,

François

Diskeeper does not defragment many system files (i.e. metadata files) such as $Bitmap, $Logfile, $BadClus, etc.), which is why it does not report on them. DK also does not report on free space fragmentation, so you would never no that it does not do it very well.

My Computer

what happens Jabu, you are always so late to respond. Been on vacation (hahaha).

Well i just popped the question about "Ultimate ...." Disktrix that is;

François

My Computer

DK also does not report on free space fragmentation, so you would never no that it does not do it very well.

DK does not report on free space fragmentation, but it consolidates free space quite well. I have just checked the D: drive on my XP system which has been running DK on auto and it is nicely consolidated. :cool:

I tested PD8 some weeks ago on the same system (but lightly fragmented E: drive) and something scary happened. Was running a defrag with smartplacement off, but free space consolidation enabled, and the windows screensaver kicked in after a few minutes of no mouse activity. Then the whole PC just locked up and the screensaver froze :shock:...I tried moving the mouse around, but the system was not responding and the HDD LED was lit up.

Thought I was going to get a BSOD..was horrified and I could not even do a hard reset because PD was defragging and would lose data. I let it just run and fortunately after about 5 scary minutes, PD finished defragging and the system unfroze. Phew! Close call.

Needless to say, I have never tested PD with screensaver enabled after that :D. DK has never given me any such problem..its automatic mode is smoooth and trouble free...thats one reason why I recommend it so much.

My Computer

DK does not report on free space fragmentation, but it consolidates free space quite well. I have just checked the D: drive on my XP system which has been running DK on auto and it is nicely consolidated. :cool:

I tested PD8 some weeks ago on the same system (but lightly fragmented E: drive) and something scary happened. Was running a defrag with smartplacement off, but free space consolidation enabled, and the windows screensaver kicked in after a few minutes of no mouse activity. Then the whole PC just locked up and the screensaver froze :shock:...I tried moving the mouse around, but the system was not responding and the HDD LED was lit up.

Thought I was going to get a BSOD..was horrified and I could not even do a hard reset because PD was defragging and would lose data. I let it just run and fortunately after about 5 scary minutes, PD finished defragging and the system unfroze. Phew! Close call.

Needless to say, I have never tested PD with screensaver enabled after that :D. DK has never given me any such problem..its automatic mode is smoooth and trouble free...thats one reason why I recommend it so much.

People would probably be interested to know how you determined DK consolidated free space if it doesn't report on that. Glad DK works for you. Your PD experience is inconsistent with most, but as long as you've found a way for DK to consolidate free space and defragment the system files, hats off to you.

My Computer

People would probably be interested to know how you determined DK consolidated free space if it doesn't report on that. Glad DK works for you.

Huh? What do you mean? It shows the free space in the GUI during and after the defrag does it not? Is that not a good indicator? You are right that it does not give a text report on the free space consolidation, but not much of a problem for me. Anyway, here is a screenshot I took just now. This is D: my main prog files drive- a 140 GB partition. I turned off the autodefrag, did an analysis (the drive was hardly fragmented at this point) and a quick manual defrag just to double check.

And why are you so incredulous that DK does free space consolidation?:rolleyes: It is listed on the DK website, is it not?

See under features.

Diskeeper 2007 - ProPremier Edition Features
Edit: Diskeeper 2007 - Professional Edition Features

Your PD experience is inconsistent with most,

I am curious as to how you know that?

Anyway, I hope you are right because PD is not a bad defragger at all...though they make tall claims to performance boosts with smartplacement and the like. Just that its not my preference. I prefer DK's lower resource usage and background operation and DK is an ideal defragger for someone who does not want to micromanage the defrag process.

My Computer

The GUIs of either product are not granular enough to show an accurate state of fragmentation for the drive. That is why statistics are used - they are more accurate. DK does not provide stats about free space fragmentation nor ALL NTFS metadata fragmentation. Yes, the web site does say that. It also says it defragments all metadata, but it doesn't, as the stats show. If you go to Microsoft user groups and MVP sites, you don't see a lot of blue screens or locked up PCs - it's widely used, as is DK.

My Computer

Well Diskeeper is cheaper, something to consider.

I uses Auslogics, good, but the entire drive is done, while i prefer only do to the C: partition every 2 days, the other partitions only once in a while.

Thanks,

François
diskeeper is 49.99 for pro and i found a perfectdisk coupon easily and it ended up being 29.99. couldn't find any diskeeper coupons

My Computer

How about Iobit's free Smart Defrag 1.0 ?
Apparently same features as Diskeeper but FREE "FOREVER"!
Low profile and runs in background continually watching over fragmentation and correcting things as they happen.

My Computer

also diskeeper couldnt defrag my system files and didnt have the option to defrag on boot. perfectdisk defragged on boot and got my system defragged perfectly. the only drawback to perfectdisk is that it somehow locks ur drive so when you want to shrink ur volume it says access denied. i tried diskpart.exe and using vista's disk manager

My Computer

Back