Photo gallery can't open this picture

The icon of the files are not differant from any others and the properties look pretty well alike. The only factor that stands out is that this has only happened to all the images in one folder. Somehow the file names have had a prefix added to each of the files. Files from my camera are in a date and number format typically 20090725_2633. The files had a prefix added so the above file is now mpics 2009_20090725_2633. This prefix is the same for ever image, how it happened I do not know but is this a clue? If this is not of any help then I think we will have to call it a day. Do you have to close/stop this thread if so how do you do that. Many thanks for all your efforts.

My Computer

Irfanview will tell you in a popup if a file with the gif extension is actually a jpg. etcetera.

So that would be one way to determine if the filename extension has been altered.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire X1700
    Motherboard
    ASUS
    Memory
    3 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1 gig GeForce 210
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Vizio 21" tv
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 terabyte sata in 1 partition
    Cooling
    fans that came with it
    Keyboard
    basic USB
    Mouse
    basic USB
    Internet Speed
    3 megabits on a cable modem, wired
Irfanview will tell you in a popup if a file with the gif extension is actually a jpg. etcetera.

So that would be one way to determine if the filename extension has been altered.

Thank you, have just tried Irfanview, when you try to open image it states " Cannot read header" I think as Dwarf said a lot of data appears to have been deleted.

My Computer

Yeah, that error message is saying the file is corrupted and cannot be displayed.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire X1700
    Motherboard
    ASUS
    Memory
    3 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1 gig GeForce 210
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Vizio 21" tv