Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device

Sorry to bump an older thread but, I've had this problem FOR FOREVER in XP and in VISTA and i've always had my USB Drives / Mass Storage \ Thumb drives set in Device manager for quick removal. About 50% of the time the safely remove icon in the system tray works and the other 50% it doesn't. Seems like if I stay active with the USB drive it ejects but if I go idle or leave the system for a bit (drive I presume goes into power save mode) and won't properly eject...

Today it ticked me off. While I know I can simply remove, it bothers me that it won't eject "properly". Here's what I found on Microsofts site.
Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device
They said to go here:
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html
which takes me to this page ultimately:
Process Explorer

GEEZ GEEZ GEEZ Is that ever an AWESOME PROGRAM... WHY the heck isn't it in Windows standard? I've never heard of it or seen it before.
I had to go into the menu and turn on the lower pane as it didn't come with that shown like it says in the description of the tool. if you click on the smushed graphs at the top right corner they give nice detailed graphs of system information. Like Task Manager but with more graphs. (Seems similar to what Vista has with its System Resource function from Device Manager - although that tracks more things etc.

Process Explorer V 11.33
" Introduction

Ever wondered which program has a particular file or directory open? Now you can find out. Process Explorer shows you information about which handles and DLLs processes have opened or loaded.
The Process Explorer display consists of two sub-windows. The top window always shows a list of the currently active processes, including the names of their owning accounts, whereas the information displayed in the bottom window depends on the mode that Process Explorer is in: if it is in handle mode you'll see the handles that the process selected in the top window has opened; if Process Explorer is in DLL mode you'll see the DLLs and memory-mapped files that the process has loaded. Process Explorer also has a powerful search capability that will quickly show you which processes have particular handles opened or DLLs loaded.
The unique capabilities of Process Explorer make it useful for tracking down DLL-version problems or handle leaks, and provide insight into the way Windows and applications work."

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    I've got a number of home built systems & some old boxed units
    CPU
    E6750, E4700, E4400, bunch of P4's
    Motherboard
    GA-P35-DS3R, GA-8i865GME-775-RH Hybrid C2Duo&AGP, IP35-e
    Memory
    3GB DDR2-1000 Ballistix tracer, 2GB DDR500 Ballistix, Various DDR,SDRAM, RDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD4870,ATI AIW: X800XT,XLPCI-E, 9800Pro 9600XT, X1950 XT
    Sound Card
    Onboard, Creative X-Fi, Creative Audigy 2
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" Samsung LCD's, 24 Asus VK-246, Samsung 24"
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 1024, 1920 x 1080, 1920 x 1280
    Hard Drives
    150 GB Raptors, 400GB Seagates SATA, Various IDE drivers
    PSU
    Antec Earthwatts 430, ....