Problems Activating/Changing .Net 3.0

Deuce248

Hi,

I currently own a Vista premium 64bit laptop.....I'm trying to install Empire total war, which requires Directx 10. In order to install that I need to activate .Net 3.0. I attempted to do this by going to Control Panel....Turn On/Off Windows Features....checked all of the boxed under .Net 3.0.....then it configues but then displays the message "an error has occurred. not all of the features were successfully changed"

I have no idea what to do....I attempted to see if I could uninstall .Net 3.0 but I couldn't find it anywhere.

Any help would be much appreciated(sorry if this is in the wrong topic area)

Thank you

My Computer

Vista already has the .Net framework built into it, as well as DX10.

What leads you to conclude that you need to somehow "activate .Net 3.0"? What is the actual problem you're encountering and what error messages are you seeing, if any?

My Computer

What leads you to conclude that you need to somehow "activate .Net 3.0"? What is the actual problem you're encountering and what error messages are you seeing, if any?
The only error message that comes up is the "an error has occurred. not all of the features were successfully changed"

Basically....I think I know what I have to do(which is using the Window On/Off features) but for some reason it will not allow me to do it.

When I do go to the Control Panel it has a solid square in the .Net box with only the XPS box checked and not the....HTML?/Non HTML?

Last edited:

My Computer

The only error message that comes up is the "an error has occurred. not all of the features were successfully changed"

Basically....I think I know what I have to do(which is using the Window On/Off features) but for some reason it will not allow me to do it.

When I do go to the Control Panel it has a solid square in the .Net box with only the XPS box checked and not the....HTML?/Non HTML?

Let me try that a different way - what leads you to conclude that errors during the installation of "Empire: Total War" are being caused by a lack of .Net 3.0 and/or DX10 on your machine?

My Computer

Let me try that a different way - what leads you to conclude that errors during the installation of "Empire: Total War" are being caused by a lack of .Net 3.0 and/or DX10 on your machine?
Because.....when I went to install Directx 10 an error message came up....(yes I know its supposed to be installed but I have yet to find any files regarding it on my computer)...I googled that error message....other people had similiar problems......several people said that .Net had to be activated/or installed...I went to activated/change it on the On/off Windows features....its a fact that it says it's not fully "activated"....I checked the boxes so they would be....it says that it's configuring....then the same error message pops up after it's finished.

My Computer

Both the .Net framework 3.0 and DX10 are built into Vista. They do not need to be "activated", nor should you need to add/remove bits of them unless your OS installation is somehow damaged.

I would suggest focusing on the errors (if any) you see during the game install.

My Computer

Both the .Net framework 3.0 and DX10 are built into Vista. They do not need to be "activated", nor should you need to add/remove bits of them unless your OS installation is somehow damaged.

I would suggest focusing on the errors (if any) you see during the game install.
Not to continue this but....I I assume they need to be installed even if already on the machine, correct? They are not in any program list

From that I can only assume I have to configure them....meaning I need to go to "TURN WINDOWS FEATURES ON OR OFF" In the control panel. Neither .Net 3.0 OR WPAS are fully turned on.

The error codes I get from google when installing the game...imply that .net is not working or fully installed WHICH "TURN Windows features on or off" implies....because the boxes "Configure API" under WPAS or "Windows Communication Foundation HTTP/NON-HTTP Activation" are checked MEANING...activated.

When I check them an error code tells me they couldn't be configured.....I've asked why and how to fix it...I'm not making this up.

Thanks again

Last edited:

My Computer

Click on the link in my sig and youll find updates for directX, windows installer, .NET etc that you should install. Once installed reboot your pc and then try to install Empire again.

My Computer

Click on the link in my sig and youll find updates for directX, windows installer, .NET etc that you should install. Once installed reboot your pc and then try to install Empire again.
Thanks a lot and will do...but I'm still confused to why .net and wsap wont fully configure/install/activate/etc

My Computer

In the turn windows features on or off my .NET only has XPS viewer ticked. If you dont know what your doing there you shouldnt do anything as some of its vital.

My Computer

When I tried to install the Directx file an error message came up saying...

DXerror.log and DirectX.log refer to your windows folder to determine the problem...

Don't really know where to go from there

My Computer

MMMMMMM. It seems something in vista has gone wrong. Go the the vista start orb and type in the search bar services and hit enter. Find Cryptographic Services and set it to automatic then reboot and try installing directX again.

If that doesnt work then go to the vista start orb and type in the search bar cmd then hit enter. Then type in the window sfc /scannow and then hit enter.

Once that scan is completego to Start>Computer>Right Click "C" drive>Click Properties>Tools>Error Checking-Click "Check Now">Under Check Disk Options click "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors"> Restart Computer

If either of those scans come back showing corruption your best bet is to re-install Vista.

My Computer

DirectX.log
04/24/09 22:59:38: DXWSetup: ***** DXWSETUP *****
04/24/09 22:59:38: DXWSetup: WinMain()
04/24/09 22:59:38: DXWSetup: IsIA64(): not IA64.
04/24/09 22:59:38: DXWSetup: ExecuteInf(): SetupInstallFromInfSection() failed, error = 995.
04/24/09 22:59:38: DXWSetup: ExecuteInf(): Unable to proceed C:\Users\Kevin\AppData\Local\Temp\IXP000.TMP\dxwsetup.inf:[DirectX_WinNT]. The file may be damaged.

DXerror.log
[04/24/09 22:59:38] module: DXWSetup(Oct 22 2007), file: utils.cpp, line: 1204, function: ExecuteInf
Failed API: SetupInstallFromInfSection()
Error: (995) - The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.

Unable to proceed C:\Users\Kevin\AppData\Local\Temp\IXP000.TMP\dxwsetup.inf:[DirectX_WinNT]. The file may be damaged.

My Computer

Do as i suggested above, but i think vista has become corrupt and when you run those scans you'll find errors.

If you do find errors then you should reinstall vista skipping the download update part. When at your desktop install virus software then go to the link in my sig and do as it says there before installing any other software or applying tweaks. Once youv done that install your software.

My Computer

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
Details are included in the CBS.log windir/logs/CBS.logs. For Example C:/Windows/logs/CBS/CBS.logs

Is there anyway I can just reinstall Directx? As dumb as this is...how would you reinstall vista?

My Computer

To reinstall vista your going to need a vista disc. But first run a full scan on your pc with whatever virus software you own eg NOD32 Antivirus is a good one.

This will make sure your not going to move a virus to your new install. Next you need to backup your data. Either using another hard drive, blank dvd or usb, copy all the folders like Documents, Music, Pictures etc to the new device. Unfortunatelly you cant backup installed programmes but you can save everything in your user folder. If you have computer game saves you want to save then you'll have to locate them manually and copy them and remember where they go to once youv installed the game.

With your files safely backed up you can now install vista. HERES HOW. Once you've done that install your virus software and go to the link in my sig and do as it says there. Then move back all your backed up data and then install your programmes.

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

Back