Problems with Windows Vista x64 Startup. Errors:0x0000000A, 0x0000007E

I am also building my own system, with similar specs, and found this thread very helpful.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0ghz
Asus Striker Extreme motherboard
Nvidia GeForce 8800GTs 640Mb Graphics
4x Kingston HyperX 1GB DDR2 800Mhz
Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad (Crossfire Edition) EPS12V 750W Power Supply
150Gb Western Digital HardDrive 10,000rpm
20x Samsung DVD RW

After initially installing Vista Home Premium 64-bit I got the BSOD with "0x0000007E" error, sometimes along with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I found plenty of info online about people having trouble installing Vista 64 with more than 2 gigs of ram so I followed all the advice/instructions up to, and including, the MS update (KB929777).

I could get Vista to boot properly with 4 sticks of 1g ram and play games, but playing around with other apps would cause hangups. Especially the web browsers which would run slower and slower until I could no longer connect online. If I restarted the computer at this point I was greeted with the BSOD that I had worked so hard to get rid of.

The only solution that worked without any problems was to remove one of the sticks of ram, any stick from any slot, to bring the total memory down to 3 gigs. No problems whatsoever, but I bought 4gigs and I want to use 4 gigs, darn it!

After reading this thread I came up with a solution and now the system works great with all 4 sticks installed. Thanks dmex, for your detailed responses to this thread.

Solution:

in the Asus Striker Extreme BIOS- "extreme tweaker" section I unlinked the cpu and memory that had my memory running at 666.7mhz and was able to change my memory to run at 800mhz that Kingston specifies.

Not sure if this is a "fix" or a "workaround" but everything runs as intended now.

My Computer

Well, first off let me say that this is only the second time I've put a system together. The first was over five years ago. I'm not fluent in the language of computers, but am pretty good at figuring things out and how to sift through information that others provide in order to find solutions.

In my case I did not have trouble "installing" Vista with 4gig ram, but it was a real problem getting it to boot without the 0000007 stop error. Since the stop error was always followed by four strings of numbers it became apparent that it was referring to my 4 sticks of ram. Removing any one of the sticks stopped the BSOD from occurring so it made sense that I did not have a "faulty" stick. Something was wrong with my memory function/settings.

I stumbled upon this forum and found this thread and downloaded the cpuid program you suggested(thanks). When I looked under the cpuid "memory" tab I saw that my memory was running at "333mhz-single". A bit more reading on the matter and I was ready to make my move,haha.

The ASUS Striker Extreme bios is a little different than I am used to but I was able to find how to change the settings for memory voltage and speed(?).

Auto settings: 1.85v-666mhz

New settings: 1.95v-800mhz

I ran cpuid again and saw that my memory had changed to "400mhz-dual". Some of the "clocks" numbers changed as well. My system has run flawlessly since, through many reboots while updating drivers, installing programs, etc.

Since I only have a basic understanding of what I did I am more than happy to provide any system information that might help illuminate why my computer now works. Seems that a lot of people are encountering this same memory problem and I would like to understand more myself. I mean, this is where the real fun is, gaming is just a bonus,haha.

For now, I'm just tickled that it works:geek:

My Computer

Onslaught320, just a quick thought but did you check the QVL(QualifiedVendorList) on ASUS site before choosing your ram? I didn't recall seeing any 2gb sticks recommended when choosing ram for my Striker Extreme board. Not that it would matter much in your case, just thinking out loud.

Find your motherboard on asus homepage>Products. click "QVL Download" on the left to find what asus recommends.

My Computer

I am new to this site but you will be surprised with my system

Intel Core 2 Duo 6750 2.66 MHz
Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus Motherboard
OCZ 6400 Titanium DDR2 800 MHz 4x1 GB RAM modules
Gainward Bliss Nvidia 8800GT 512 MB DDR3
Windows Vista Ultimate x64 OEM
Segate Baracuda 500GB
Western Digital 120 GB
Western Digital 80 GB
2 x Optiarc AD-7191 DVD-RW

You notice that my memory, motherboard and graphics card are the same as onslaught 's
and I am experiansing the same problems. And one more thing:
When I first bought my memory, in pairs, one of the modules refused to boot with my M/B but booted on other systems. When the ventor tried the stick on the same M/B as mine, it didn't work. So he gave me another pair.
I checked then the ventors list of Asus and OCZ has only 1 model there -not mine-.
Vista are working perfectly with 3 GB in no Dual DDR mode and with 2GB in Dual DDR but they have problems on 4 GB Dual DDR no mater if they are in 4x1 or 2x2 GB modules.
I am led to believe that there are 2 possibilities:
1. This particular M/B has "bad blood" i.e. incopatibilities in Dual DDR mode with OCZ
memory modules or,
2. Vista have problems handling 4 GB of RAM

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Proudly Built by Me!
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Motherboard
    DFI UT LP P35 T2R
    Memory
    8GB OCZ Reaper DDR2 800 C44GK 4-4-4-12 2T
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire Radeon 4870x2
    Sound Card
    AuzenTech Prelude 7.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 Acer P243 24" and 1 Samsung T260 26" Monitor/HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    Both are running at 19x12
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 1TB 7200.11 (Vista x64)
    Seagate 500GB 7200.11 (Win 7 x64)
    PSU
    OCZ GameXtream 900w
    Other Info
    FSB at 400 (1600) Mhz, CPU Multi @ 8 for 3.2Ghz
Dyon - Error message when you try to install Windows Vista on a computer that uses more than 3 GB of RAM: "STOP 0x0000000A"

Remove 2GB, download and install the update, then reinstall the other two *after* the computer has successfully rebooted into the OS. Check the install to make sure it's successful.

The other thing that Sirstone did is make sure the memory was manually set to OCZ'z specificationis, instead of the Auto settings on the motherboard.
Changing the memory(ram) settings in the system bios is definitely what did it. the MS update did nothing for my system. I heartily recommend that both dion and onslaught try manually setting voltage/speed. My system was buggy as heck and is now running error free, and quite fast;)

My Computer

dmex, I don't seem to have the option of changing settings using the cpuid that you posted earlier in this thread. No worries since everything is fine now. I do however see, upon closer examination, that cpuid shows my memory to be Kingston PC2-5300(667mhz) when in fact I have PC2-6400(800mhz) sticks installed. I don't think newegg would have sold me four mislabeled sticks. Anyway to get my system to show proper ram installed when looking in cpuid?

I've been reading that Vista and some motherboards, Asus for example, have some difficulty agreeing what memory is installed. Since changing my memory settings manually has fixed everything I, for one, am sold on this notion.

My Computer

No worries,mate. Just have to figure how to take screenshots in Vista.............find free image host........then post them to forum....................Done!

I was playing around last night, doing my best to learn how to "overclock" things. Ram is at 444mhz in screenshot but I will be backing that down to spec'd 400mhz before finding a good "benchmark" tool so I can do things properly. Cpu is now at 3.6ghz bringing my Vista system rating up to 5.8(for what it's worth,haha).

memory.jpg

Mainboard.jpg

SPD.jpg

My Computer

dmex, thank you for the suggestion. I have downloaded the program and checked if timings are as reported by BIOS and they are. I kind of solved the problem by changing the order of the sticks on the M/B. I did something not "advisable".My sticks are exactly the same but in pairs. So i have put the entire pair on the same bank. The system boots on the vast majority of circumstances.
I have upgraded the BIOS to 0901 (latest) version but no help came from this.
I am led to believe there is some problem on the way Vista work with my M/B and the way they access the memory.

My Computer

Sorry for taking so long to reply, My comp decided it didnt like the heat and killed my graphics card after we had some 40degree days down here last week.

Looks well done Sirstoneofgall, I still recommend using ntune from nvidia to help overclock your system (NForce 680i) it also comes with a benchmarking tool.

Dionysisarv using your mem sticks on the same bank should work better if your motherboard supports Dual-Channel interfaces, does cpu-z say much different when the config is switched around?

My Computer

dmex, hi! Problems like yours are common in summer here, too! There must have been Vista all along and not my memory. Microsoft published an update, KB929777, that solves the problem. Since I installed this update, the system runs smoothly. I had the BIOS check the memory for defects (I know this isn't so good, but helps) and found nothing. Anyway, the blue screen hasnt shown itself since I installed the Update. Thanks for your time! The Update is in this link:
Error message when you try to install Windows Vista on a computer that uses more than 3 GB of RAM: "STOP 0x0000000A"

My Computer

Hi there, new member here, although I've been using these forums from google search results for some time. Just thought I'd update this thread with my experience and see if anyone else may have some input on my setup. I have the same motherboard as onslaught and dion, the P5N32E-SLI Plus. I have been custom building PCs for years, but very few systems have given me as much trouble as this one. I got this board as an RMA replacement for my old faithful (but buggy) P5N32-SLI Deluxe, and started by just installing the components left over from my old build.
Original rebuild setup:
P5N32E-SLI Plus
Pentium D 950
2GB (1GBx2) Kingston DDR667 (ASUS QVL approved)
ASUS SATA DVD-RW
XP Pro x64/Vista Bus. x64/Fedora 8 64 bit/Knoppix 5.1.1 DVD
After getting my new replacement motherboard, I had nothing but blue screens and stop errors (also 0x0000000A every time) during install of EITHER XP Pro x64 or Vista x64. Fedora would install most of the time but not boot properly. Knoppix was hit and miss and was not as reliable as I'd like.
I have never gotten Vista 64 to install or run properly, or stay on long enough to do updates or install the correct drivers. About 2 months ago I had a computer to build for a friend, so I ordered 2x1GB 800Mhz Kingston RAM also on the ASUS QVL, installed it in my system and used the older RAM for the friend's computer. His runs fine and is stable with my old RAM. My system did not improve at all. Since the problems occured so predictably and with a variety of OS's, I ruled out the MS KB update, especially since I have never booted the system with over 2GB installed. I would try to install or boot with only 1 module installed, I updated ther BIOS to the most recent, and until today I had no promising success. This morning my work comp crashed, and i needed something up and running, so I tried repeatedly to install Vista Bus. x64 to a brand new 750GB SATA HDD with no luck. Same blue screen every time. Tried installing Fedora 9, same results as with Fedora 8. Then I remembered I had a temporary test machine upstairs I was using as a HTPC that also had 2GB DDR800, but this was Kingston HyperX memory, not KVR. I swapped it out in my build downstairs, and for the first time I have Fedora 9 fully booted and it appears to be stable. I thought I had ruled out memory, since I had swapped out a few different modules, and had tried booting with only one installed, changed slots, etc. Tweaking the BIOS and timings had no effect whatsoever. I know the 800MHz Kingston Value RAM I pulled out is good, cuz it runs fine in other systems. It looks like it was just a poor matchup between the motherboard and RAM. My next step is to try installing Vista x64 again and see what results I get. I do know that the DVD I am installing from is without any service packs... dissapointing that my work comp crashed, because now it will be difficult to slipstream in any updates. I am hoping the memory swap at least allows me to install and boot Vista, so that I can do tests and updates from within a running OS. I was beginning to think the mobo was a big disappointment, but Fedora has been running a half hour now directly after installing the HyperX memory. The system as a whole has never stayed on this long except with Knoppix. It's starting to look promising, hopefully I'll have an update later after installing Vista.
Current rebuild setup
P5N32E-SLI Plus
Pentium D 950 (E8400 in my hands to install before OS install)
2GB (2x1GB) Kingston HyperX DDR800 (did not check ASUS QVL on this 1)
ASUS SATA DVD-RW
HL SATA DVD-RW
Fedora 9 64 bit/Knoppix 5.3.1 DVD
2 750GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 (not in RAID)
250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.9
160GB Maxtor
Coolermaster 550W PSU
Coolermaster TAC-T01 Aliminum chassis

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Core 2 Duo E8400
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus
    Memory
    2GB Kingston HyperX DDR800
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS Silent EN8800GT (Nvidia)
    Hard Drives
    2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 750GB SATA2
    1x Maxtor 160GB SATA
Hi bad_the_ba,

I looked up your BSOD error code....:cool:

The IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bug check has a value of 0x0000000A. This indicates that Windows or a 3d party kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.

Cause

This bug check is issued if paged memory (or invalid memory) is accessed when the IRQ of a device is too high.
The error that generates this bug check occurs thanks to a faulty device driver, system service or BIOS.

Resolving the Problem

Try disabling memory caching of the BIOS.
Use onboard IDE port as Primary Vista HDD only. Also, check each IDE device for the proper master/subordinate/stand-alone setting. Try removing all IDE devices except for hard disks and remove all non-essential devices and system services also do not use the upgrade option.

Hope it helps
Steven

My Computer

I looked up your BSOD error code....:cool:

The IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bug check has a value of 0x0000000A. This indicates that Windows or a 3d party kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.

Yeah, I had most of this information already, and had reviewed this thread at great length before posting. I was kind of frantic to get a Windows system up and running today for QuickBooks, because my main system took a crap and I didn't have time to troubleshoot it this morning. Took a look tonight, and it seems a bad PSU was keeping me from POSTing as well as causing the motherboard to give no system beeps when memory or vid card were removed. Got that fixed in a jiffy tonight, so I'm back with my familiar XP on an ASUS P4P800SE Plus.
Getting back to my new(ish) setup, I got a chance to install Vista Business x64 in a dual boot configuration with Fedora 9 64 bit on the same 750GB SATA HDD, AFTER replacing the memory with Kingston HyperX from another system as I had mentioned before. Vista has had no issues at all with the new memory. The system I moved the old memory to, also an ASUS, but Intel based, has had no issues. Other than a random seek noise in my brand new 750GB HDD in the form of an annoying click, the system seems very stable. I'm finally glad I let ASUS RMA department talk me into this board as an upgrade after they couldn't replace my older SLI board. I hope the faster FSB and RAM standards will benefit me one day (will test with E8400 as soon as I figure out what to put in it's place). Thanks dmex for the quick reply. Just now getting all the x64 drivers and updates installed. I'm sure this won't be my last issue with x64 on this comp, but things are definitely smoothed out. Weird that I was getting this same error with only 2GB max ever installed, as well as with a single 1GB module for testing. I have no IDE drives in this system, it looks like that was never an issue. BIOS is currently at defaults on everything. Can't wait to try this system with a newer processor, I might even spring for something better than the E8400 and just leave that in my HTPC.
Current WORKING setup
P5N32E-SLI Plus
Pentium D 950 3.0GHz
2GB (2x1GB) Kingston HyperX DDR2 800
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 750GB
Vista Biz x64 on 250GB primary partition using NeoSmart EasyBCD for modified Vista bootloader
Fedora 9 64 bit on 2nd and 3rd partitions

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Core 2 Duo E8400
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus
    Memory
    2GB Kingston HyperX DDR800
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS Silent EN8800GT (Nvidia)
    Hard Drives
    2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 750GB SATA2
    1x Maxtor 160GB SATA
I am having the same problems with the Stop 0x0000000A. My system was stable for almost 30 days. Was able to boot once to review event log. no new application or drivers installed prior to the BSOD. Tried various memory modules and positions with no success. (reduced from 8GB to 2GB). I am running SP1 which includes the MS update. Asus P5Q MB. Kingston 1066 MHz RAM. Manually set the frequency in BIOS to 1066 from auto (800MHz). I can't get the system to boot/logon.

Any suggestions?

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q9550
    Motherboard
    Asus P5Q
    Memory
    Kingston HyperX 1066MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX 260 Core 216
    Monitor(s) Displays