Screensaver Wait Time resets to 1 minute

I am having the same exact problem. I have a brand new desktop pc running Vista Home Premium x64. Every since the initial boot I have had problems with the screen saver resetting to 1 after every reboot. I have searched high and low and there are many suggestions out there to fix it, but none of them worked for me. I do have a older Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0 installed. Many of the blogs out there reference this as the problem, including Microsoft itself, but the fixes have not worked for me. I removed the wireless mouse and all associated software and drivers and installed a straight USB wired mouse and let Windows install the recommended driver for it. Still the same problem. I have no other wireless devices installed, no external drives, nothing but a plain Jane system. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

My Computer

Welcome to the club....

I chatted with the Gateway help, but they were worse than NO help. After finally getting them to understand the problem creeps up after doing a clean Restoration from the Gateway Recovery Management Progam, they finally tell me it is Microsoft's problem.... excuse me... but this occurs after installing YOUR software upon Microsofts' operating system, which works with about any other install.

Well, I am trying some other things to try and figure it out... I will get back with you later..... hang in there!

My Computer

TinkerDog,
Thanks for the response. As I mentioned in my previous post, there are quite a few blogs and forums out there that talk about our problem, and some dated back to the beginning of last year. Basically since the release of Vista I guess. They are mainly talking about their screen saver and power management functions are not working when using wireless keyboards and mice. My problem is a little different. My screen saver is working, after I set it to another time setting, doesn't matter what it is, and then click "Apply". From then on the screen saver and power mgmt functions work perfectly. I can even go back and reset the time to 1 minute, and everything will still work fine. It's only after a reboot or shutdown that I have a problem. It's like there is a setup file that stores the settings that is not getting saved or more likely, something is stepping on it during bootup. I too am going to do some further investigation by not starting some processes to see if I can isolate what is stepping on it. Thought maybe Shawn or anyone might have some ideas or seen the same problem. Thanks everyone, HotRod....

My Computer

Hi Everyone,
I have an update... I isolated my problem of the screen svare timeout value reverting to 1 minute after a reboot to the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service. If I disable this service, reset the screen saver timeout to some value, and then restart, the screen saver timeout value remains intact and the screen saver and sleep functions work normally. If I go back and set the WMI service to anything other than disable (manual, automatic, delayed automatic) and restart the system, the screen saver timeout value reverts back to 1 minute, and the screen saver and sleep functions do not work. If I set the screen saver timeout value to any number other than one and apply that value, then everything works fine until the next restart. I can even go back and reset the timeout value to 1 minute and everything will still work normally until a restart. I did a little research and there are some blogs out there that talk about group policy WMI filters that preset screen saver values to some preset values, etc. This is over my head a little, but was curious as to whether something like this could be going on with the WMI services on my computer? From everything that I read, I hate to leave the WMI service shutdown as it is used by just about any windows based software. Would like everyones thought and input to what I have found so far. Thanks to all, Larry....

My Computer

I am having the same problem with a Gateway computer. Screensave resets to 0 on reboot. I have no extra hardware installed and very few programs at the moment. Very annoying problem

My Computer

If this is related to WMI, there seems to be ways to resetting WMI. I do not know if this will work, or if it's even advicable, but you could Google for this and decide, on your own risk of course, whether this is worth a try or not. Make restore point first.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS720
    CPU
    Intel Quad Q6600 2.40GHz
    Motherboard
    Dell 0YU822, NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI SPP / SLI MCP
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 800MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gainward GeForce GTX 560 Ti, 1024 MB GDDR5
    Sound Card
    Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 2407WFP-HC
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    NVIDIA 640GB SATA Raid 0 (2x320GB) (7200 rpm) for Vista,
    Intel X25-M G2 160 GB for W7,
    Maxtor OT III External HDD,
    WD Elements 1 TB External HDD
    Internet Speed
    100/20
    Other Info
    M779 PCIe PAL/SECAM/DVB-T Desktop TV Tuner. Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller.
Thanks for the input everyone. Yes, there is a lot of problems out there with the wireless mice and wireless keyboards versus Vista and the screen saver and sleep functions. Problems vary. I have a different problem as I stated in my earlier post in that a reboot causes my screen saver to revert to a timeout of 1 minute. I do have a wireless mouse, but it is an older version (2.0) and a older style receiver. I have completely uninstalled it and used a USB wired mouse with the same results. I ran more tests today and found out that my sleep mode does in fact still function after a reboot. I have the display set for the test to shutdown 5 minutes before the computer goes to sleep and the hard disk to shutdown 1 minute prior to the display shutting down (this is critical). If I reset the screen saver after a reboot like I detailed in my previous post, everything works great. Screen saver comes on, then the hard disk shuts down, then the display goes off, then the computer goes to sleep. If I reboot without changing a thing, after the reboot the computer never goes into the screen saver mode. When the display timeout runs out the display does not go off. But when the sleep mode times out, the display does in fact goes off and the computer goes to sleep. (Display goes off because the computer goes to sleep) So a reboot kills the screen saver and the display timeout, but not the sleep mode. If I disable the WMI service, reset the screen saver timeout and reboot, everything works as it should, every time, and with or without the wireless mouse. Again, I do not have the newer style wireless mouse and keyboard combos that everyone else is having problems with. I believe that I am going to fire off a question to Microsoft with the findings that I have come up with. Doubt that I even get a response as they have not answered my last several attempts for other issues. Anyway, I still welcome inputs from anyone that is experiencing the same problems or can shed some light on the WMI service. There are a few blogs out there of folks with very similar problems that I have and they do not have any wireless devices installed. My system is brand new and has had this problem since I fired it up. Anyway, thanks for the input from everyone, let's wait and see if we get any other input, thanks again, Larry.....

My Computer

I have the same issue. I have just bought a Gateway LX 6200 computer and everytime after reboot the screensaver timer is set to 10 minutes, however somewhere during the boot up process it reverts back to 1 minute and never fires up.

I don't have any PATA drives in my computer however I have added two SATA 2 drives to the front 2 cages that are built into my computer to easy add hard drives to it, removing them does nothing as this problem was there prior to installing the two extra sata hard drives.

I have not contacted Gateway about this issue yet and my computer is clean, it's only 2 days old and barely has any added software on it, maybe a game or two and thats about it.

Amd quad core phenom 9500
8GB RAM
Windows Vista 64bit.

My old computer from Acer (not actually old, maybe 2 weeks old before I bought the Gateway) was an Intel 2.2ghz, 4gb ram windows, vista 64bit and did NOT have this issue.

My personal belief is that Gateway has installed something on their computers that messes with the screensaver, though which program it is I really don't know, nor have any idea how to go about finding out.

Im actually quite frustrated about this but trying to keep my cool in this post, apologies if it seems hostile towards MS, Vista or Gateway.

Edit: Yes I have a MS mouse, it's the MS Natural 6000 wireless mouse. The sleep function works on my computer fine, other then when waking up the internet connection which is hard wired is dead occasionally (depending on how long it's been sleeping I think) and might need to be rebooted which kind of defeats the purpose of sleep mode if you ask me.

My Computer

Kuplo.
Yes, sounds like you are having the same issue. My new computer is an Acer Desktop with AMD Phenom™ X3 Triple-Core Processor 8400. Just curious, did you happen to try setting the WMI service not to start up, then resetting everything and then reboot to see if it keeps your settings? If you do, make sure that the service did not start. Just a thought. Seems like the problem to me is not with Acer, Dell, etc, but Vista itself. Also curious is the fact that you and I are both having issues with the AMD powered machines. You said that your Acer Intel powered machine did not have a problem. That is another commonality that I can see. Don't know what the answer is, I do know that it is not the mouse as in the other posts. Anyone jump in here. Thanks to everyone, and a very Merry Christmas and a safe and Happy New Years to everyone... Larry...

My Computer

Yeah, I have a dual core AMD Gateway and have never had this problem. It's pretty perplexing.:confused:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Airbot 2.0
    CPU
    Core i7 920 (D0) @ 4Ghz, 26c idle- 65c full load on air
    Motherboard
    Asus P6X58D Premium -Sata 6Gb/s - USB 3.0
    Memory
    12GB Corsair Dominator -CMD12GX3M6A1600C8
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA Nvidia GTX 480 -Fermi
    Sound Card
    ASUS Xonar D2X
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 24" Flatron W2453V-PF Full HD 1080p 2ms response time
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60hz
    Hard Drives
    1 OCZ Vertex2 180GB SSD
    1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 7200RPM 32MB cache
    2 500GB WD Caviar Blacks 7200RPM 32MB cache (WD5001AALS)

Pioneer DVD Burner DVR-S18M
    PSU
    Corsair HX1000W
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF 932
    Cooling
    Case Fans -3 230mm, 1 140mm/CPU - Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless MK700
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless MK700
    Internet Speed
    100 MBPS DL 30.17Mbps UL 0.98Mbps
    Other Info
    Windows 7
    Processor-7.7 RAM- 7.9 Graphics-7.9 Gaming Graphics- 7.9 HDD- 7.8

W.E.I final score= 7.7

Windows Vista=5.9
The WmiPerformance service is stopped on mine and set to manual start, so I don't think it gets started on reboot?

That was the only WMI (anything with wmi in the name) of the services in the lists in both task manager services and or the regular services menus.

My Computer

Kuplo,
There should be a service called Windows Management Instrumentation. It is on both of my x64 bit systems. This definitely solved my problems as I ran the system several days and rebooted several times each day with absolutely no problems at all. I just don't know what all is affected by disabling this service. Also, I just had another thought on my previous post about AMD vs Intel, my new laptop is intel with Vista x64 and no problems with it at all and my new Acer desktop is the AMD and the one having an issue. Your old desktop was an Acer with intel x64 and not problems and your new one is a Gateway with AMD x64..... Cooincidence????? Go figure, Larry....

My Computer

Ok, I found that service and paused it to see if the screensaver will now fire up in 10 minutes. That services's description tells me that it's a necessary service for windows software to run if they depend on it, I don't know how much software I have that depends on it but until it's fixed for me it's probably best just not to have a screensaver if that service is actually needed by any software I run.

I'll know in 10 minutes or so if the screensaver will fire up, it never has since I bought the computer so...

My Computer

Kuplo,
Read my earlier post. You have to disable that service using msconfig or equiv. Then reset your screen saver timeout value to some value, then reboot and see if it keeps the setting and functions as normal. Yes, the description of WMI that I found is the same thing that oyu discovered, used for other Windows applications. That was one of my questions to this forum, if someone could shed light on what the downside of leaving this service shutdown.
Just stopping this service won't do anything for the test, and if oyu reboot, it will just restart automatically. Thats why you have to disable it for a valid test. Later, Larry...

My Computer

I have the same issue. I have just bought a Gateway LX 6200 computer and everytime after reboot the screensaver timer is set to 10 minutes, however somewhere during the boot up process it reverts back to 1 minute and never fires up.

I don't have any PATA drives in my computer however I have added two SATA 2 drives to the front 2 cages that are built into my computer to easy add hard drives to it, removing them does nothing as this problem was there prior to installing the two extra sata hard drives.

I have not contacted Gateway about this issue yet and my computer is clean, it's only 2 days old and barely has any added software on it, maybe a game or two and thats about it.

Amd quad core phenom 9500
8GB RAM
Windows Vista 64bit.

My old computer from Acer (not actually old, maybe 2 weeks old before I bought the Gateway) was an Intel 2.2ghz, 4gb ram windows, vista 64bit and did NOT have this issue.

My personal belief is that Gateway has installed something on their computers that messes with the screensaver, though which program it is I really don't know, nor have any idea how to go about finding out.

Im actually quite frustrated about this but trying to keep my cool in this post, apologies if it seems hostile towards MS, Vista or Gateway.

Edit: Yes I have a MS mouse, it's the MS Natural 6000 wireless mouse. The sleep function works on my computer fine, other then when waking up the internet connection which is hard wired is dead occasionally (depending on how long it's been sleeping I think) and might need to be rebooted which kind of defeats the purpose of sleep mode if you ask me.

How about disconnecting the wireless mouse and trying a regular mouse and see if you still have the problems with the resetting of the screensaver wait times.......

My Computer

Okay well if you stop the service in the services area of vista then it tells you that "Security Center and IP Helper" will no longer work. I'll test it out though by making it a manual startup so that it doesn't start automatically with windows and see what happens.

Yeah I've tried it with a Logitech mouse and the wired mouse that came with the computer, the wired mouse that came with the gateway was the first mouse hooked up and it still does what it does now.

My Computer

Disabling it in the services panel (task manager > services > services button at the bottom of the task manager, services area) indeed lets the screensaver fire up like it should without a reboot.

Rebooting the computer with the service disabled does keep the settings I have inputed for the screensaver as well.

This time stopping that service told me that only IP helper was going to be stopped if I stopped the wmi management service.

My Computer

From what I have read so far this service deals mainly with remote management of the computers by IT personnel, etc. But it does state that most Windows software does use it. I have the service back running on mine until I get some further info. I just have to remeber to reset the screen saver every time we reboot, which is not that often at all. But still, it is a pain. Trying to train the wife since it is her computer that we have the problem with, but you know how that goes, if you can't put a key in it, start it up, and go, then oh well. Okay, won't even go there...lolol.. Merry Christmas to all, Larry....

My Computer

Back