Setting Up Vista for Speed Guide

Did you find this guide helpfull

• Yes thank you so much

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No it sucked

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Anyway, excellent guide. Just did all of it today from a clean install.

I feel like I deserve a cookie or something. This took like 12 hours haha ^^

Yeah it takes a while but i think its worth it :D Oh and pacinitaly even though your hard drive is new it may not support this featue as its a laptop hard drive. I wouldnt worry about it as its only one tweak you are missing out on.

My Computer

Anyway, excellent guide. Just did all of it today from a clean install.

I feel like I deserve a cookie or something. This took like 12 hours haha ^^

Yeah it takes a while but i think its worth it :D Oh and pacinitaly even though your hard drive is new it may not support this featue as its a laptop hard drive. I wouldnt worry about it as its only one tweak you are missing out on.

true,
I just love tweaking. I've done so many, I forgot 50% of them. Thats why I have not done a clean install, I just keep cloning the HDD's

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    gateway/m6881
    CPU
    centrino core 2 duo 2.2ghz T7500
    Memory
    3GB
    Hard Drives
    500GB WD
    Mouse
    logitech
    Internet Speed
    fios 35MB not!!!!
Great guide except you could adjust two things:

1) Setting a set page file size may worsen peformance as Vista manages memory much better in the page file than any other Windows OS and performance may degrade if a set size is chosen.

2) None of the services should be adjusted unless you know exactly what service depends on what. If you take a look at this book: Amazon.com: Windows Vista Inside Out, Deluxe Edition (9780735625242): Ed Bott, Carl Siechert, Craig Stinson: Books every service is listed along with recommendations. Less than 4 are changed from their defaults.

Otherwise a very good guide. Tune Up Utilties has to be the very best of all clean up utilities.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sony Vaio Z46GDU
    CPU
    [email protected] w/6MB L2 cache 1066MHz FSB
    Memory
    6GB DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    9300M GS 256MB + Intel Integrated 4500MHD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    13.1" WXGA True Colour Tough
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    320GB SATA 7200RPM
    Internet Speed
    1MB/s
Hi Fostmourne im glad you like the guide. Just two things though:

1- I set a page file min and max size to a level that i know il never use all of. This means the size wont change and vista doeasnt have to set these sizes itself every time it boots up. This reduces fragmentation on the page file and also speeds up boot time a little bit.

2- Iv never looked at that book but heres five just to show you what i would change:
  • Remote registry- Disable this as it allows people to modify your registry from over the internet
  • Windows Search- Disable this to reduce the noise and temp etc of your hard drive. It doesnt work properly anyway so is not needed.
  • Offline files - If you dont synchronize files between computers, disable this service or set it to manual
  • Fax service - can be diabled if you dont have a fax machine
  • Print Spooler - Disable this if you dont have a printer
There are many more services you should change the settings of if you are confident in doing so. As iv said before just change the ones you want to a setting of Manual so they are available when you need them but dont start every time you boot up your pc. In Windows 7 they have reduced the amount of Automatic Services as the realised the amount in Vista is just plain silly and unneeded.

But keep the suggestions coming as they are most welcome and yeah i agree TuneUpUtilities is the best available. :)

My Computer

about step no. 4. when i use the advance disk cleanup. which one do i tick and which one do leave out?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hewlett-Packard/Com Presario CQ40 Notebook PC
    CPU
    AMD Athlon X2 Dual-Core QL-64 ~ 2.1 GHz
    Memory
    2GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
Hi Sicknerd

You've probably worked it out but il try to help anyway. If you click on the text of each tickable object then it will give a brief description of what each one is. I have mine set to clean everything except the thumbnail cache. You are quite safe ticking them all.

My Computer

Iv just installed Windows 7 so my time at Vistax64 forums is over. I hope this guide helps some of you and that any questions on this guide are answered by other forum members here.

Bye :D

My Computer

Back