SFC/SURT problems new build from scrounged parts

sam1951

This is a new build from scrounged parts. Dual boots Windows Vista Ultimate (it's what I had laying around) and Linux Mint. Linux works fine. But I had some difficulty with Vista. I've been running sfc each time after installing drivers and programs and not proceeding until it came back with no errors. I finally got all the drivers installed so device manager has no issues. The last one installed was the via usb3 driver (mb _driver_via_usb3_xp) which allowed the MB usb3 ports to work. But now sfc reports some corrupted files it says it can fix but doesn't. I tried running the system update readiness tool but that is no help either. The machine does seem to run ok but I am curious about what/how important these corrupted files are. Also why does sfc say they will be fixed on the next reboot but doesn't do it.

These files are not being fixed by sfc
C:\Windows\system32\wbem"\[l:42{21}]"Wdf01000Uninstall.mof" from store
C:\Windows\system32\wbem"\[l:24{12}]"Wdf01000.mof" from store
C:\Windows\system32\wbem"\[l:42{21}]"Wdf01000Uninstall.mof" from store
C:\Windows\system32\wbem"\[l:24{12}]"Wdf01000.mof" from store

I have attached some system info as a .PNG
Can anyone shed some light on this Capture.PNG

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Ultimate SP1,2
I have no idea what "from store" means. Are you running sfc from a command prompt "as the administrator." If you go to the wbem folder and find those two files, right click on them and select properties. What are their creation dates? What is selected to open them?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
I also don't know what "from store" means either, maybe "store" is some backup or shadow version? Yes I ran sfc as admin. Both creation dates are Tue 12/05/2023 (that may have been the last time I re-installed Vista on this hardware). They both open with something called Windows Shell Common Dll.
I have another Vista system (Home Premium 32 bit) and I compared the 2 files on that one (it runs sfc no errors) with the Vista Ultimate system with Notepad++. They are different, but Vista Ultimate is 64 bit so maybe no surprise there.
I wonder if somebody has a Vista Ultimate system that will run sfc without errors (or at least not errors on these 2 files) that we could use to compare them. I will attach the 2 files ( had to change the extension to txt to attach them).

Attachments

• Wdf01000mof.txt
    4.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Wdf01000Uninstallmof.txt
    112 bytes · Views: 1

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Ultimate SP1,2
That date you show is the last time it was installed. The creation dates on my files are 2006. Note that I'm running Vista 64 bit Home Premium with all updates (except those for server 2008). Honestly, if your not having any problems, I wouldn't worry about it but that doesn't ruling out us pursuing it further. Don't have time this morning.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
Ok I guess I'll leave well enough alone. Is there a safe way to extract these 2 files from the install disc so I can look at the original versions? I don't think I would do anything but compare them. I don't know if install programs change them or what would happen if I were to try and restore the originals but web research turns up some instances of non functional systems associated with these files if they are "bad". Thanks for looking at this problem with me ..... I'm sure I'll have others.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Ultimate SP1,2
As they say, if it's not broke................................
What is different betweem those files on your 32 bit system and 64 bit system?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
I have attached the 2 "good" files from the 32 bit Vista machine. Something must write to these files because sfc did not fail until I installed the via usb3 driver (mb _driver_via_usb3_xp) which allowed the MB usb3 ports to work. I forget now exactly where I got it but at the time I was quite sure it was the correct one. The bigger files look like some kind of source code I am not familiar with. I've done just a little with C and this looks similar, maybe C# ? If these files do get written to by install programs it doesn't seem to me that replacing them with originals off the install disk or from another machine would be a good idea. Not without knowing more about them.

Attachments

• Good_Wdf01000mof.txt
    4 KB · Views: 2
  • Good_Wdf01000Uninstallmof.txt
    118 bytes · Views: 2

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Ultimate SP1,2
I wonder if "from store" means the Microsoft store and it can't access them because Microsoft no longer supports Vista.

I think the .mof file does get modified by different software. When I look at its properties on this system, the program to open it is shown in chinese. The only chinese program I use is 360chrome.

I don't know how to fix what sfc is saying. I did find this which may be useful-

Also, this person had the same exact problem but it would imply that my first sentence, above, is incorrect since, back then, Vista was supported. Redirecting

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
I finally got around to looking at those files. The files I got from the link you posted are identical to the files on the Vista machine that runs sfc without errors. I think I will take a chance and just copy the good files to their proper places in the Vista Ultimate machine. Obviously, I will make sure I have a backup.
The machine in question is taken down right now so I can use my test Jigs for something else (W7 media center PC) so it will be a little while until I get back to this problem. BTW, thanks for posting that link. What a cool site for getting original Windows installation files, I have some other machines with sfc errors that I may get brave enough to attempt fixing. I'm surprised my web searches didn't find this site but thanks again for directing me there, I'm sure I will use it again.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Ultimate SP1,2
I suggest that you simply rename the files existing on your system and then install the downloaded files. That way you can go back to the problem files if the new ones don't work out. As we discussed- if the existing files don't cause other problems, then you can leave it alone. Look forward to what you find out.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB