Socket 754, 64-bit SATA drivers

gargos

AMD Socket 754, 64-bit SATA drivers

Thanks to an apparent BIOS flash failure tonight, I'm left in a pretty urgent scenario of needing a new motherboard. This problem all came about because I couldn't get my PC, let alone Vista x64, to recognize my SATA drive. What little reading I've done so far seems to rule out all nForce chipset MoBo's as a possible replacement if I wish to install Vista on it.

My question is, more out of urgency of needing to get my PC back up and running as quick as possible is what motherboards out there DO have functional 64-bit SATA drivers so that I can hope to install VISTA as a dual-boot option using my SATA drive as the home for Vista. I'd prefer to not have to replace my CPU as well right now which is why I ask about people's experiences with their own Socket 754 boards. Has anybody had any luck with their own?

Last edited:

My Computer

I use any Intel based bored (currently on 975x) when using socket 754 - specifically the aBit AW9D-MAX, has plenty of SATA ports, all complete with Intel's chipset drivers which work perfectly on Vista x64.

My Computer

Thanks. You know, in all that, I forgot to mention that I'd been using an ASUS K8V-SE board with an Athlon 64 3200+ CPU. So I would definitely prefer anybody's results with the AMD boards. It's nice to know that at least one Intel board works, but if I had to get a new CPU anyways wih the new board, then this Socket 754 limitation of mine wouldn't exist.

(Edited title of post to reflect)

Last edited:

My Computer

I'm using a Soltek K8AN2E-GR Nforce3 board with Vista x64 with no problems, all devices working. It has both NVRAID and Promise 579 SATA/RAID functions. The Nvidia SATA worked with Vista's built-in Nforce drivers. For the Promise chip, I'm using the Windows 2003 driver (works perfectly).

K.

My Computer

Back