SQL errors, prevents forum responding

Can you give me your log in name over there? I'll see if there is something wrong with your account. Also, anyone else watching this thread with 64 bit Vista-- is this a common problem? We haven't heard about it being a problem but on the other hand the only reason I am here is because a post by a fellow member from here.

My Computer

Ok, there was nothing odd in your account. Since you do have Firefox try this.

Start Firefox is safe mode. Start --> All Programs --> Mozilla Firefox --> Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode).

Again, clear the cache and cookies. Clear your cache. Tools --> Options --> Advanced --> Network, Clear Now button.

Deleting the cookies that have to do with the site. Tools --> Options --> Privacy, Show Cookies button.

Go directly to the Thunderbird forum Thunderbird Support • mozillaZine Forums (Do not pass GO, do not collect $200.00 :) )

What happens?

My Computer

New developments. I have two other accts. One is another regular acct and the other is a "real" admin acct. Both of these accts can post on TB. Now here's some food for thought that may lead to a solution:

The account that doesn't work for TB, is an acct in which I lost access to the C drive. Done by my naieve fiddling around with permissions. A computer guru tried to get this back, but I think he felt that it didn't go well...although the c drive came back. He then set up my "real" admin account and a third regular acct. He then suggested that I transfer docs, pics, etc from the first acct into the new regular acct. This proved a little daunting to me and I was lazy about having to do all this transferring of files and folders. Particularly so when the original acct got back the c drive. The original acct works fine now, with the only apparent exception that TB posting is giving me a problem. Hope this helps with the diagnosis.

My Computer

Tried setting up a new user acct in TB forums, but got rejected because I was using the same email address I originally used when I first registered.

My Computer

Hi flycaster,

Good to see you're making progress :D, have been monitoring the thread here and at the Thunderbird forum.

The issue with permissions with vista is a complex one especially relating to the program files folder(s), a great many of the files here have, by default, special permissions and ownership assigned to the "Trusted Installer" system account, if these have been altered then restoring to the original status would be akin to "recovering eggs form an omelet", to be totally honest I've not heard of anyone succeeding in this without a re-install.

you could try setting permissions in the relevant application folders in program files to include the account with problems (in the firefox folder it appears that users need Read and execute permissions and administrators need full control.

To be honest I would advise against this if you are happy with your current situation where you are at least now able to access the TB forum.

I would also like to publicly thank Loudnoise for taking the time to register here and help with this issue

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Latest Release Preview
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer G276HL 27", (DVi) + Samsung 39" HDTV (HDMI)
    Screen Resolution
    2 x 1920x1080 @50Hz
  • Manufacturer/Model
    Real World Computers (Custom by Me)
    CPU
    AMD FX8350 Vishera 8 Core @4GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A78L-M USB3
    Memory
    32GB [4x8GB] DDR3 1600 MHz
    Graphics card(s)
    Asus nVidia GTX750TI-OC-2GD5 (2GB DDR5)
    Sound Card
    ASUS Xoner DG + SPDIF to 5.1 System + HDMI
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 32" TV
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Internal
    Crucial CT256MX100SSD1 256GB SSD,
    Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH1 2TB,

External (USB3)
    Seagate Backup+ Hub BK SCSI Disk 8TB
    2.5/3.5 Hot Swap Cradle, USB3 + eSata (client HDDs)
    NAS 4TB
    PSU
    Aerocool Templarius Imperator 750W 80+ Silver
    Case
    AeroCool X-Warrior Red Devil Tower
    Cooling
    Hyper103 CPU, Rear 120mm, Front 2x120mm, Side 2x120mm
    Internet Speed
    68 MB Down 18.5 MB Up
    Other Info
    Six Sensor Auto / Manual Digital cooling (Fan) control with Touch control Panel
I certainly second many thanks to Loudnoise for helping in every which manner he could.

Once again, remember I am naive about permissions, so I certainly could be off base with anything I have to say about them. But, as far as I can recall, the only permission area that I may have screwed up, was when I tried to get something on my c drive to work after the action I wanted was denied. I had gone into properties>security within my OS (C) shortcut and did something wrong that lost my c drive. I didn't do anything to the TB folders.

My Computer

Hi Flycaster,

The main problem with the permissions on Vista, (and not limited to vista) is the fact that setting the permissions on a folder also cascades down the folder tree and sets the permissions on all folders within the top level folder, and so on down the tree.

This makes sense where you are setting permissions for data but is less than ideal when the application folders are concerned.

As the normal situation is for the user/admin to concentrate on Data file permissions the default does make sense.

As this applies to the C:\ drive which is treated as a folder for permissions purposes, changing user permissions on this will also change everything below this level - the whole system

As I understand it The "Trusted Installer" user was added to the Vista system to prevent permissions problems on system files. As it sits at a level higher than a normal administrator it does help the accidental setting of permissions

At the moment however, very few 3rd party software developers are using this system, and so whereas the operating system and probably MS office would survice an accidental change to the permissions to the C:\ drive, (folder), it is likely that 3rd party applications , such as Thunderbird would suffer.

Hope this explains a little as to what I suspect may be the cause of your issue

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2 x 1920x1080 @50Hz
  • Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A78L-M USB3
    Memory
    Graphics card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 32" TV
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Internal

External (USB3)
    NAS 4TB
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Internet Speed
    68 MB Down 18.5 MB Up
    Other Info
Well done, Barman. But, I must admit that although I still find this stuff very confusing, your explanation at least tells me about the hierarchy of control. TB sits below c:\ drive and thus my fiddling with C:\ may have affected TB. Close enough?

My Computer

Hi Flycaster,

Yes that just about spot on, hopefully as the new systems introduced with vista mature and 3rd party developers get used to the Trusted installer user, things will improve

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2 x 1920x1080 @50Hz
  • Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A78L-M USB3
    Memory
    Graphics card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 32" TV
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Internal

External (USB3)
    NAS 4TB
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Internet Speed
    68 MB Down 18.5 MB Up
    Other Info
BTW, I just got a post on TB indicating that they know about the problem, but have been too busy to fix it at this time. Oh well... At least I can switch between accts and still get access to TB forums. But it is such a PITA.

My Computer

Just a FYI. The php issue Steviex is talking about is different. From time to time the banner on top and the google ads disappear in a barf of php errors. It doesn't do any harm but has been reported a number of times. When we see php all of the moderaters and most of the regulars respond that it is a known issue without first reading the post :)

My Computer

Back