Solved System Restore not completing successfully

Melti,

You are learning about one of the great benefits of our forum. Not only is it free, but you get the expertise of many members, who are here only to help. A traditional service provides one indivdual and only his one opinion.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
WHS, I'm confused (doesn't take much :) ).

I used Method 2.
I took ownership of the file. I made a copy of the file and moved that to my Documents directory as a back-up. Then I get stuck.

What's confusing me is two things:

1. Original folder wouldn't allow me to rename even though I have full access (that may not be an issue if I'm replacing it)

2. I don't understand how to take a sidebar from another system

I feel like I'm just missing something really basic here, but I don't know what.

Please help.

Thanks

Meltie

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia
Melti, your computer is working well. I would hold off on any repairs, for now, except those that are giving you a problem.

25% of the problems posted are due to changes that the user is not familiar with.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
I just received your PM. Based upon everything in this thread, your computer is working properly, am I correct.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
10-4. Should I change the permission back the way they were before on that file?

Oops - didn't answer your question. Yes, it seems to be.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia
Right now, are you having a problem with the computer? If no, which you just answered, make a system restore point and enjoy the internet. When you do have a problem just use system restore and you will be good again. Unless you have experience, do not fix something that is not broken.

You will always be welcome here to use our tutorials or to use our knowledge. So I suggest that you leave it alone and return if something happens that you are not capable of fixing.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
I will help you as long as you need me, but now we are having a bad storm in the NY area and I have to sign off. I will be back for you, however.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
I have some - but . . . given a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing . . . I'm not comfortable messing with things unless I have skilled support guiding me (such as yourself, whs, and other members of this Forum) AND I understand your direction(s). I've found it's better to stop and ask the minute I don't understand something rather than create another/or a bigger problem.

With that said - I'll go ahead and get rid of Norton and report back. Hopefully, after that, I can mark this thread solved.

Thanks again for all your help

Meltie

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia
meltie, sorry I confused you. Richard is right. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I thought you had problems with the sidebar and wanted to fix the 2 sidebar problems. But if you have no hickups, leave it alone.
In case you do get sidebar problems, come back and I walk you thru the fix. I can also supply a clean sidebar folder that I have uploaded to Skydrive - but only if you encounter problems.
PS: with Richard you are in good hands.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell
    CPU
    Q6600
    Memory
    4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207h
    Hard Drives
    2x250GB HDDs
    1x60GB OCZ SSD
    6 external disks 60 to 640GBs
    Other Info
    Also 1xHP desktop, 1xHP laptop, 1xGateway laptop
Been having exactly the same problem as Meltie at exactly the same time, so been following the same instructions with interest. Ran sfc/scannow with the same results (....found corrupt files but unable to fix some of them).
Will now try to run sfc/scannow 3 times as suggested and see what happens (thanks richc46).
What I have just noticed though, is 2 pieces of recently installed software have vanished from my PC since using System Restore (1 a new printer and the other a download of 'Spybot'). So perhaps System Restore is working but just saying that it "did not complete successfully". No real way of knowing!
I will try more runs of sfc/scannow and let you know what happens.
Good luck Meltie.

My Computer

WHS - I do still have those three errors with the sidebar. I would love for you to walk me thru it.

When I said the computer appears to be good, I should have clarified. I was referring to the restore and overall performance "that I see". Meaning - that while I don't "see" the issues with the sidebar, we know, per the scan, that there are some errors.

Sooo, while I agree with both you and Richard regarding "don't fix it if it ain't broke, we know this is "broke" even though, as I said, it's not impacting me directly at the moment. I was so frazzled by the restore thing I wasn't being clear. Sorry bout that.

I would prefer to fix the sidebar errors as long as you're walking me through it.

With regard to Anti-Virus Program: The download of the new "protections" seems to have worked fine. I checked the Norton site and they are aware of the Vista Restore error. They suggest just turning off Norton during a restore and bringing it back up after. No mention of when a patch might be coming out or if they intend to create one. Hmm?

Thanks again everyone for your help. It is greatly appreciate.

**Jongee, hope this works well for you too.

Meltie

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia
meltie, See my PM.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell
    CPU
    Q6600
    Memory
    4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207h
    Hard Drives
    2x250GB HDDs
    1x60GB OCZ SSD
    Other Info
I am so sorry Melti, I did not forget about you , I would never do that. The Northeast has a bad power storm and we had not electric power since Friday. I will check over the theread and offer any help that you may need.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
That's okay Richard. I know you wouldn't. Hope all is well up there.

Update:

I downloaded WHS's sidebar. Haven't performed the fix yet. Got sidetracked by a few things going on here.

Before I perform the switch out, I have a question. Both myself and WHS weren't sure if I have to download a 64-bit sidebar. WHS downloaded his 32-bit to another one of his systems which is 64-bit and all was fine. Sooo, I was going to try it and simply restore if it didn't work.

Then, I got to thinking a little further on this and searched for "sidebar" files.

Below is what came up:

I have two directories: "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)". I have a "Windows Sidebar" folder under each of these. I'm assuming one is for 64-bit items and one is for 32-bit items?? The latter for when the computer is speaking to 32-bit computers/programs.

I also have 2 each of the following in a folder called "winsxs" under the "C:\Windows" directory: (amd64 I believe is my processor aka brain)

amd64_microsoft windows sidebar resources (and a bunch of alpha numerics)
amd64 microsoft windows sidebar (and a bunch of alpha numerics)

**Please correct me if my understanding is not accurate and/or if this is something I don't need to worry about.

Question: Which folder controls my sidebar? If it's multiple folders and I only tend to one of them, will I muck up the system? Perhaps a change to one of them is what caused the "matching" error from the Scan in the first place, even though "I" didn't change any of them.

I also looked in the Scan report again but it doesn't tell me which folder the error came from. Only gives a alpha numeric address. (I know this is an internal address, but I'm not savvy enough to deal with that).

I can always go ahead and try it and then restore if it doesn't work. But since I was thinking about it, I preferred asking the question first.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Meltie

P.S. (Hope I'm not being "clear as mud" - I was having a hard time verbalizing this)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia
I have two directories: "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)". I have a "Windows Sidebar" folder under each of these. I'm assuming one is for 64-bit items and one is for 32-bit items?? The latter for when the computer is speaking to 32-bit computers/programs.

I have tried the folder you downloaded from my Skydrive in both the x64 and x86 program files of Windows7 - because I was wondering about the same thing as you. It actually worked in both. Other than that, I made no other changes or settings.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell
    CPU
    Q6600
    Memory
    4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207h
    Hard Drives
    2x250GB HDDs
    1x60GB OCZ SSD
    Other Info
OK - cool.

Please bear with me. I'm a little dense today:)

So, just to make sure I understand - I should download it to both directories - yes?

As an aside - what is the difference between these two directories? I probably really don't need to know but was curious.

Thanks W

Meltie

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia
No, do not put it into both Program files directories. Suggest you put it into the normal program files, not x86, but if that does not work, try x86.
I am not 100% sure why they have 2 program files. All I noticed is that 32bit uninstallers can only access the x86 program files.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell
    CPU
    Q6600
    Memory
    4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207h
    Hard Drives
    2x250GB HDDs
    1x60GB OCZ SSD
    Other Info
All done - everything is great.

Thanks W. Thanks Richard. Couldn't have done it without you guys!!

I'm going to close out the thread now

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia
Re: RESOLVED System Restore not completing successfully

all done - everything is great.

Thanks w. Thanks richard. Couldn't have done it without you guys!!

I'm going to close out the thread now

issue is resolved

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia
Back