TESTED "x64" security software..

Re: OFFICIALLY TESTED "x64" security software..

It is funny how install directory points to 64 bit but 4 process running (looking in task manager) are all xxxxxxx*32 (where xxxxx is name of service):sarc:

Any task running with a *32 is 32 bit. No matter what directory it resides.

Yes, Vista x64 is supposed to put all fully 64-bit coded programs in /Program files/ and all of the 32-bit coded programs in /Program Files (x86)/ but this isn't always the case. Besides, you can force most installations into any folder you wish.

The bottom line is what you see in Task Manager. If it has a *32, it's 32 bit. If it doesn't, it's 64 bit.

My Computer

I'm sorry, but I really fail to see the use for this thread except to spread mis-information and confusion.

Just because an AV app written to be 64bit compatible has a process that runs in 32bit mode, doesn't mean you're any less protected or that the scans are only half as fast, so this topic is rather pointless.

It's personal preferrence that is driving this thread, as you've pointed out in another thread that you don't like to see any "*32" processes in your 64bit Os's Task Mgr, but you're trying to make it look like these programs are less than capable in this thread and it's simply not true.
These are fully 64bit capable programs and perform as good as, if not better than in some cases, any of the programs you call "True 64bit". If you have any proof of anything different, please post it and any links to confirmation of the data you provide. Otherwise, I think this thread should be closed myself, or at least unstickied and allowed to fade out.

This is NOT an attack on you Ginter and is not meant to start any problems between us, that's the last thing I try to do on any forums I frequent, but I see this thread as being somewhat unfair to the less savvy users who may believe that their AV or other security app is not securing them properly, even tho it's written for 64bit. They may be inclined to drop a perfectly good, if not superior, security product that they paid for and go and purchase another one for no real reason. Kind of a waste of money and time and I wouldn't like to see that happen to anyone here.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Personal Build
    CPU
    Intel E6750 Core 2 Duo
    Motherboard
    Asus Commando MoBo (P965/ICH8R)
    Memory
    4G's Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 PC26400 RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Platinum FATAL1TY (next)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x 22" w2207 LCD Monitors
    Screen Resolution
    1- 1680 x 1050, 1 - 1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    3 x 500G SATA II WD Caviar HDD's
    PSU
    EnerMax NoiseTaker II 600W
    Case
    NZXT Lexa Classic (modified, dual doored & windowed)
    Cooling
    Zalman 9700 CPU cooler, 4-120mm fans, 1-90mm
    Mouse
    Logitech Optical Trackman trackball
    Other Info
    NZXT Lexa Classic Case, Zalman 9700 CPU Cooler, 2 DVD Burners c/w LightScribe (Sony, TSST), Enermax NoiseTaker II 600W PSU with Custom Chrome cable sleeving, Hauppauge HDTV TV Tuner Card, 5.1 Logitech Z5500 speakers, 15 in 1 Multi-card reader
I'm sorry, but I really fail to see the use for this thread except to spread mis-information and confusion.

I see every point in this thread and I thank the OP for starting it. It's to show which security applications (AV, firewall and anti-spyware) are true 64-bit applications.

Even though WOW64 helps support 32-bit applications you ideally want to be running 64-bit software on a 64-bit OS. I run 64-bit Crysis (obviously). I run 64-bit VirtualBox as well. You don't seem to understand this at all?

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 3.2GHz
    Motherboard
    Abit IP35-E @ 1600FSB
    Memory
    4GB Hynix DDR2-800
    Graphics Card(s)
    PowerColor Radeon X1900XT
    Hard Drives
    (2) 320GB Seagate 7200.10
I see every point in this thread and I thank the OP for starting it. It's to show which security applications (AV, firewall and anti-spyware) are true 64-bit applications.

Even though WOW64 helps support 32-bit applications you ideally want to be running 64-bit software on a 64-bit OS. I run 64-bit Crysis (obviously). I run 64-bit VirtualBox as well. You don't seem to understand this at all?

Hi Jon

The problem here is that these are not 32bit applications running in an emulated 32bit environment on a 64bit OS, these are applications written to be fully 64bit compatible that happen to have a process running in 32bit.
The only "Testing" that was done here was to install the AV Program, open Task Mgr, and see if anything related to the AV program listed a process with *32 behind it...that's not testing for AV products in my book, nor in any book I know of.
In another thread here, this OP has actually called any AV product with a 32bit process as "Garbage", without any regard as to how they actually tested on 64bit systems by the world's most respected Independant AV Test labs.

So, what is a "True 64bit application"?
Is it one that uses all the aspects of a 64bit data throughput, or is it one that runs perfectly well under a 64bit environment?
Well, while one might think that an AV product that doesn't list any process as running in 32bit mode, would obviously run it's scans at a much faster rate than one that does, that's simply not true...in fact I would offer here that almost every AV product out today still uses the same scanning engine as their 32bit product does, even those ones who do not list one of their processes as a 32bit one.

So where is the advantage here?
Nowhere, and it's actually detrimental to less security savvy users who may think that Eset's NOD32 may be garbage because it's ekern process is listed as *32 in Task Mgr. Then they just may uninstall what is probably (and easily shown to be such) the top ranked AV product for 64bit Vista, and install something that is nowhere near as secure just because it doesn't have a process with an "*32" behind it in Task Mgr.

To me, and to many others here as well, that's simply not an acceptable reason, it's not "Official" and it's certainly not "Testing" to what would be considered an acceptable level by the Security Industry's standards.
This thread was unstickied so it would fade away for exactly these reasons, let's please let it go from here on.
If you have any hard data to prove otherwise, that any of the listed AV products with a 32bit process listed in Task Mgr offers less protection than one which doesn't because of this, please feel free to start another thread on the subject and we'll go from there.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Personal Build
    CPU
    Intel E6750 Core 2 Duo
    Motherboard
    Asus Commando MoBo (P965/ICH8R)
    Memory
    4G's Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 PC26400 RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Platinum FATAL1TY (next)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x 22" w2207 LCD Monitors
    Screen Resolution
    1- 1680 x 1050, 1 - 1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    3 x 500G SATA II WD Caviar HDD's
    PSU
    EnerMax NoiseTaker II 600W
    Case
    NZXT Lexa Classic (modified, dual doored & windowed)
    Cooling
    Zalman 9700 CPU cooler, 4-120mm fans, 1-90mm
    Mouse
    Logitech Optical Trackman trackball
    Other Info
    NZXT Lexa Classic Case, Zalman 9700 CPU Cooler, 2 DVD Burners c/w LightScribe (Sony, TSST), Enermax NoiseTaker II 600W PSU with Custom Chrome cable sleeving, Hauppauge HDTV TV Tuner Card, 5.1 Logitech Z5500 speakers, 15 in 1 Multi-card reader
I use eTrust ITM at work. I would never use it at home. Look at Trendmicro's solutions. Avast Pro 4.8 is excellent anti-virus.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
    Motherboard
    Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID
I use eTrust ITM at work. I would never use it at home. Look at Trendmicro's solutions. Avast Pro 4.8 is excellent anti-virus.

Have you used symantec corporate and does it support 64bit?

I have - Symantec Endpoint Security ver 11, which has both 32 bit and 64 bit installers.

*However* I think the installer *itself* may be 32 bit, as the '64bit' installer still tried to install to %ProgramFilesx86%....

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro X64 Insider Preview (Skip Ahead) latest build
    Manufacturer/Model
    The Beast Model V (homebrew)
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 965 EE @ 3.6 GHz
    Motherboard
    eVGA X58 Classified 3 (141-GT-E770-A1)
    Memory
    3 * Mushkin 998981 Redline Enhanced triple channel DDR3 4 GB CL7 DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3-12800)
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0 (04G-P4-3979-KB)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio (onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 * Lenovo LT2323pwA Widescreeen
    Screen Resolution
    2 * 1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    SanDisk Ultra SDSSDHII-960G-G25 960 GB SATA III SSD (System)
    Crucial MX100 CT256MX100SSD1 256GB SATA III SSD (User Tree)
    2 * Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA II Mech. HD
    Seagate ST1500DL001-9VT15L Barracuda 7200.12 1.5 TB S
    PSU
    Thermaltake Black Widow TX TR2 850W 80+ Bronze Semi-Mod ATX
    Case
    ThermalTake Level 10 GT (Black)
    Cooling
    Corsair H100 (CPU, dual 140 mm fans on radiator) + Air (2 *
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 (gen 2)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master (shared)
    Internet Speed
    AT&T Lightspeed Gigabit duplex
  • Operating System
    Sabayon Linux (current, weekly updates, 5.1.x kernel)
    Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo ThinkPad E545
    CPU
    AMD A6-5350M APU
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics card(s)
    Radeon HD (Embedded)
    Sound Card
    Conextant 20671 SmartAudio HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Lenovo 15" Matte
    Screen Resolution
    1680 * 1050
    Hard Drives
    INTEL Cherryvill 520 Series SSDSC2CW180A 180 GB SSD
    PSU
    Lenovo
    Case
    Lenovo
    Cooling
    Lenovo
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master (shared) | Synaptics TouchPad
    Keyboard
    Lenovo
    Internet Speed
    AT&T LightSpeed Gigabit Duplex
I use avast 64bit which links into outlook:) and I will be downloading comodo firewall tonight, it is now supposed to be 64bit complient.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    I5 3570K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
    Memory
    4 x 4GB corsair ballistix sport DDR3 1600 Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660 TI
    Sound Card
    creative x-fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Primary CiBox 22" Widescreen LCD ,Secondary Dell 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    Both 1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500G HD (SATA) 1 x 2TB USB
    PSU
    Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU
    Case
    Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
    Cooling
    3 x 80mm tri led front, 120mm side 120mm back, 200mm top
    Keyboard
    Logik
    Mouse
    Technika TKOPTM2
    Internet Speed
    288 / 4000
    Other Info
    Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
    Trust Graphics Tablet
Be sure not to install the search toolbar / sponsor / whatever it calls itself....

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro X64 Insider Preview (Skip Ahead) latest build
    Manufacturer/Model
    The Beast Model V (homebrew)
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 965 EE @ 3.6 GHz
    Motherboard
    eVGA X58 Classified 3 (141-GT-E770-A1)
    Memory
    3 * Mushkin 998981 Redline Enhanced triple channel DDR3 4 GB CL7 DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3-12800)
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0 (04G-P4-3979-KB)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio (onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 * Lenovo LT2323pwA Widescreeen
    Screen Resolution
    2 * 1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    SanDisk Ultra SDSSDHII-960G-G25 960 GB SATA III SSD (System)
    Crucial MX100 CT256MX100SSD1 256GB SATA III SSD (User Tree)
    2 * Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA II Mech. HD
    Seagate ST1500DL001-9VT15L Barracuda 7200.12 1.5 TB S
    PSU
    Thermaltake Black Widow TX TR2 850W 80+ Bronze Semi-Mod ATX
    Case
    ThermalTake Level 10 GT (Black)
    Cooling
    Corsair H100 (CPU, dual 140 mm fans on radiator) + Air (2 *
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 (gen 2)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master (shared)
    Internet Speed
    AT&T Lightspeed Gigabit duplex
  • Operating System
    Sabayon Linux (current, weekly updates, 5.1.x kernel)
    Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo ThinkPad E545
    CPU
    AMD A6-5350M APU
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics card(s)
    Radeon HD (Embedded)
    Sound Card
    Conextant 20671 SmartAudio HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Lenovo 15" Matte
    Screen Resolution
    1680 * 1050
    Hard Drives
    INTEL Cherryvill 520 Series SSDSC2CW180A 180 GB SSD
    PSU
    Lenovo
    Case
    Lenovo
    Cooling
    Lenovo
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master (shared) | Synaptics TouchPad
    Keyboard
    Lenovo
    Internet Speed
    AT&T LightSpeed Gigabit Duplex
Be sure not to install the search toolbar / sponsor / whatever it calls itself....

Good point for everyone. There is a part of the install about a toolbar addon, it is free software though so they have to get paid somehow. I did not install the toolbar addon and every thing worked ok. Comodo does work very well, it even stopped a cd autostarting an install program. Dont know if this is good or bad but will have to see how it goes.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    I5 3570K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
    Memory
    4 x 4GB corsair ballistix sport DDR3 1600 Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660 TI
    Sound Card
    creative x-fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Primary CiBox 22" Widescreen LCD ,Secondary Dell 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    Both 1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500G HD (SATA) 1 x 2TB USB
    PSU
    Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU
    Case
    Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
    Cooling
    3 x 80mm tri led front, 120mm side 120mm back, 200mm top
    Keyboard
    Logik
    Mouse
    Technika TKOPTM2
    Internet Speed
    288 / 4000
    Other Info
    Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
    Trust Graphics Tablet
I read al topic and decided to download the Bitdefender cause it is the ONLY THE LONELY NATIVE x64 Application available ...

Thank you guys

My Computer

Bit Defender x64

I had BitDefender on my Vista x64 install initially. Unfortunately I had a hard lockup on my system every time I attempted to transfer a large file over the network. After many days of debugging it turned out to be BitDefender issue. Removing BitDefender completely resolved the issue. BitDefender support were unable to help and there is stil some weeks later no resolution from them. Try at your own risk. I've been using Avast! Home Edition with no issues.

Cameron.

My Computer

I read al topic and decided to download the Bitdefender cause it is the ONLY THE LONELY NATIVE x64 Application available ...

Thank you guys
Well regardless of whether NOD32 and BitDefender are true x64 programs, I chose to let Independent certified Lab testing of antivirus products decide for me the true "real world" value of an antivirus program.

Bitdefender failed Virus Bulletin's Vista SP1 testing in April 2008, Failed XP testing in August 2008, Declined to enter it's product in Windows Server 2008 testing October 2008, Declined entry in Windows Vista x64 testing December 2008, and only recieved "1 star" (out of 3 star) certification in AV-Comparatives Testing November 2008 (46% detection rate with an unacceptable high amount of false positives).

NOD32 on the otherhand recieved "3 star" certification (the only antivirus product to achieve said certification level) and has consistantly recieved VB100 awards without fail from Virus Bulletin on all Operating System platforms. (see source below)

Regardless of whether an Antimalware program is "true 64-bit", or not, it is an absolutely useless program if it fails to protect ones system from Malware and Virus threats.

Sources:
Virus Bulletin
AV-Comparatives
For further info regarding other Vendor Antivirus test Performance results On Vista SP1, XP, Server 2008, Vista x64 plateforms

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    T7600G Core2Duo 2.66 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Intel 945PM + ICH7 Chipset
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Mobility Radeon x1900 256MB
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    WUXGA 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    640GB 7200RPM SATA/RAID 0 (2x320GB)
    and 320GB 7200RPM External
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft 3000
    Internet Speed
    10 mbps/2 mbps
    Other Info
    Optical Drive:
    Panasonic UJ-220 DL BD-RE (Blu-Ray)
Zone Alarm x64 (no longer available).

There is a Beta test version that is under test. You can try it at Zonelabswebsite.

Last edited:

My Computer

Back