The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion issue---My game won't work

Yeah that helps, if you do everything in my previous post it should remove all traces of the Oblivion install and update the components you need in order to play the game.

My Computer

Okay, I actually was able to uninstall the game by looking through the files on the disc, so my computer now says Oblivion is uninstalled. Are all of the downloads in your post free and safe to use?

My Computer

Yeah they are all free and safe to use. The revo uninstaller is 100% free but the Tune Up Utilities is only free for 30 days. But my advice is to use it for the 30 days to fix the problems you have and then uninstall it.

The ones iv listed as updates are all from the microsoft website so are all free and safe to use.

My Computer

After I hit "correct problems" it gives me three options. "Tune Up Disk Doctor" "Tune Up Repair Wizard" and "Tune Up Undelete". Which one should I click?

My Computer

When you installed tune up utilities from the link i gave you it should have placed two icons on your desktop. A Tune Up Utilities icon and a Tune Up 1 Click Maintenance icon. You click the Tune Up 1 Click Maintenance icon and then click on correct problems and then click on close and that should be it.

If youve done what iv said above exactly and it still gives you those three options then it most likely means its dettected a major problem. Click the Tune Up Disk Doctor option and put ticks next to all your hard drives then click Next. Then click on Thorough Analysis and click on Next

My Computer

No problem at all. So it installs but when you click on play does it go to a black screen instead of actually starting if so then do the following:

1. Click the Oblivion Launcher
  2. Next click on Options
  3. Set the resolution to as low as it will go
  4. Set antianalising to none
  5. Unitick vsync
  6. Under screen effects select none
  7. Under Distant rendering untick all the boxes
  8. Finally click on OK
  9. Then click on Play

My Computer

No problem. The thing is i own that game and have never had a problem with it.

While you are waiting on their reply you could open your graphics card options and make sure everything is set to Application Controlled just to make sure your graphics card isnt overiding the settings you choose in the oblivion launcher.

My Computer

hey stew 2

k well i just bought the game like a week ago and i already installed the game and the add ons since its the game of the year edition and it defaults to high quility but when i start the game only the background movie starts and no main menu what do i do????

plz help me:)

My Computer

Hi gamer

Il try to help but as iv said before iv never encountered problems with oblivion. What graphics card do you have so you can update the software for that?

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

Im going to asume you have a desktop pc with a radeon x800 graphics card installed. If so you will have trouble running this game as that graphics card is quite old. But you can try and get it working although id recommend getting a new graphics card. Heres what to do:

1. Download and install the latest Catalyst Software Suite
  2. then reboot your pc
  3. Then install the following:
DirectX (You need this whether you running DirectX 9, 10 or 10.1)
.NET Framework
C ++ for Vista 64 bit

Now reboot your pc and when your back at the desktop do this:

1. Click the Oblivion Launcher
  2. Next click on Options
  3. Set the resolution to as low as it will go
  4. Set antianalising to none
  5. Unitick vsync
  6. Under screen effects select none
  7. Under Distant rendering untick all the boxes
  8. Finally click on OK
  9. Then click on Play
If it still doesnt work after all that then you should look at getting a new graphics card.

My Computer

ive had the game work b4 and i have all the udates for the card it runs fine till its suposed to get to the menu. the background movie with the map moving is there but no menu

My Computer

If it worked before then you should uninstall it and reboot your pc, then install everything iv listed above (if you havent done so already) then reinstall Oblivion and try again.

This site lists tweaks that you can also use: TweakGuides

My Computer

Back