The Sims 2, still confused?

That's what I asked in my previous post, if the Video Card was better. I know my card is newer, I just wanted to know if it was better. It seemed like you got upset that I didn't read the previous post, when actually I read them all and tried everything that was posted.

Also, my laptop isn't able to upgrade the graphics card, so it looks like I'm screwed. Oh well.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba Satellite A215-S4757
    Memory
    2048MB DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon® X1200 128MB-319MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.4” diagonal widescreen TruBrite®TFT LCD display at 1280x800 native resolution (WXGA)
    Hard Drives
    250GB (4200RPM); Serial ATA hard disk drive
That's what I asked in my previous post, if the Video Card was better. I know my card is newer, I just wanted to know if it was better. It seemed like you got upset that I didn't read the previous post, when actually I read them all and tried everything that was posted.

Also, my laptop isn't able to upgrade the graphics card, so it looks like I'm screwed. Oh well.

I apologize, It was late and I misunderstood the question. I'm also sorry I gave you the impression I was upset, I wasn't (must be my writing style :)), I just needed to know that you saw all the suggestions posted.

Bummer you're not able to get the game to run. Question - Will it start, and what happens if it does? Also, Does BF2 run?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2
    Memory
    Corsair TWIN2X4096-PC8500 (2x2GHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 4890 (1GHz)
    Sound Card
    X-Fi Titanium - Fatality Pro Series
    Monitor(s) Displays
    hp w2207h (22" widescreen)
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    One 750GB, 2x500GB Western Digital Caviar Black Hard Drives (32meg)
    PSU
    Antec Neo HE 550
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9500 AT
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    "High" Speed DSL? Is that like low speed FIOS?
    Other Info
    Q6600 B3 Revision OC to 3.0GHz
It does start. It works fine, doesn't freeze or anything, but it shoots a rainbow of pixels out (hard to describe) For example: My sims body (sometimes, not always) shoots out his body into beams of colors and fills a good portion of the screen. I tried turning down the graphics settings down and converting it to XP mode (which I thought would do the trick) but neither of them worked. It's just an inconvenience, but I can still play the game.

The funny thing is I haven't played this game in probably a year, but I went into the gaming forum and saw this discussion and it persuaded me to play it.

About BF2, I haven't tried playing that game in about a year also. I think it might have been choppy and laggy, but can't really remember. I would try and play it, but I left the game at home (I'm away at college). I might also be confusing that with Call of Duty 4. I know I bought that game and played it on my laptop and it was TERRIBLE in the fact that it was soo laggy. So, I look up the specs to find that it needs a good graphics card. This is where I looked up my graphics card, and found an answer on yahoo answers (this is why I asked you if mine was better because the only verification was from that, and I don't fully trust yahoo answers). The person who described my graphics card said that it is "lower than low" So I figured COD4 wasn't the best game for me.

Sorry, this was long. I'll stop.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Memory
    2048MB DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.4” diagonal widescreen TruBrite®TFT LCD display at 1280x800 native resolution (WXGA)
    Hard Drives
It does start. It works fine, doesn't freeze or anything, but it shoots a rainbow of pixels out (hard to describe) For example: My sims body (sometimes, not always) shoots out his body into beams of colors and fills a good portion of the screen. I tried turning down the graphics settings down and converting it to XP mode (which I thought would do the trick) but neither of them worked. It's just an inconvenience, but I can still play the game.

Those rainbows of pixels you speak of are called video artifacts. They are drawing errors made by the video card and the most common cause is an overheating video card. They can also be caused by hardware - faulty/failing video card, or software - bad/corrupted video drivers, or overclocking - CPU (processor) and/or GPU (video card). You can see some good examples of video artifacting in this article - Diagnose video card problems by comparing with example corrupted screens.

Things to try/look for:

1- Turn down your overclocks - CPU/GPU (if overclocking).
2- Update the video card drivers
3- a- Lower/check that the games video settings aren't to high for your card. b- Insure you have the latest game patches.
4- Try another game to see if the same thing is happening. (it might be just that game)
5- Improve cooling: a- Ventilation. b- Make sure the fans are in working order.
6- Do you have artifacting during normal computer use? - This is a good indication of a faulty/failing video card!!!
7 - Are ther other computer problems? - Display errors codes?
8- Replace faulty/failing video card.

If the problem still persists after going through the first 7 checks or so, then it is more than likely that you have a failing/faulty video card and it will need to be replaced. Since this is a laptop we're talking about, you'll have to seek a service technician or send it back to the manufacturer for repairs.

Keep us informed, and good luck.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Antec Neo HE 550
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9500 AT
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
This doesn't happen in any other game though. Any game that I can think of. And it happened when my computer was fairly recent. Do you still think it is a faulty video card?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Memory
    2048MB DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
This doesn't happen in any other game though. Any game that I can think of. And it happened when my computer was fairly recent. Do you still think it is a faulty video card?

Based on your reply, I'd say no. If you followed/answered the steps I outlined, and looked at the link I provided, then you should be able to determine that for yourself. :)

And the fact that your computer is "fairly recent" means nothing as you can get a faulty part right off the shelf. If the system is new, and you're having video problems, then I'd have a technician look at it. On the other hand it could be a simple case of your card not being capable of running certain games, and probably most newer games.

At any rate keep an eye on it and if you notice the artifacting getting worse, then I'd seriously consider having the machine looked at.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Antec Neo HE 550
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9500 AT
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
Actually, now that I think of it, I haven't really played another game on it. I tried BF2 and COD4 but my graphics card couldn't handle them so they were just laggy/glitchy.

How do I Turn down my overclocks?

My computer does get loud when I play the game, it could possibly be overheating.

How would I fix that?

Also, I take out my battery and just plug in straight to the wall, is this bad?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Memory
    2048MB DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
I need to check/answer the other steps I listed before I can proceed, otherwise we're chasing ghosts.

As to the overclocks -If you don't know how to turn them down, then you're probably not overclocking. For now, that's checked off.

Thanks

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Antec Neo HE 550
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9500 AT
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
Back