View on multiple partitions on a single drive

f_vo

Banned
I know Microsoft stated, especially for XP that everything should be on 1 partition. XP would arrange the data, what was less used was put on the end of the drive (or almost) what was frequently used on the beginning of the drive.

In my opinion everyone (who wants to) should have 3-4 partitions, if the drive(s) are big enough, or if you have a raid solution you probably have even more space at hand.

Here is what i would do (and do). My old Dell Pentium lll, 600 mhz has only 1x15k Scsi drive of 18 gb. So the O.S. (Win2000 Pro) is on a partition of 8,5 GB. The second partition is used for stuff not for daily use but also for Office 2003.

However with the large disks available now ( a few hundred GB), i would suggest to use at least 3 partitions, i use 4 on the main computer.

So why this thread?

Personally i use the C: partition for the O.S. like everybody does.
then comes the O: partition with office 2007 on it for Word, Excel, Access documents.
Then there is the J: partition for the jokes and video stuff i receive daily from some friends. I save everything so right now 8,5 gb.
Finally the R: partition for the music and other stuff like downloads only used for installs like Dreamscene or whatever is downloaded. Once installed you hardly reuse this again

The benefit of having the OS on a stand alone partition (nothing else on it) is:

when crashing and the OS needs to be reinstalled, the Office documents, the foto's, video's etc will still be on the disk. If you put everything in one partition and need to reinstall, well you can reinstall EVERYTHING that was on it.

But the most benefit you get from separating the O.S. is that when defragging, manually or automatically you only need to defrag the OS partition. It is that partition that always needs to be defragged. Not the data partition, here you can do it once in a while.

Secondly when only the O.S. needs to be defragged, it happens in maybe 10-15 minutes, a bit longer is drives are not fast.

Also, although defragging can be good, best is not to do this for the entire drive every day, even every week is not necessary.

Using more then 1 partition lets you organize things yourself. You decide wich partition(s) will be on the end of the drive. So the stuff used daily gets faster access.

However do not change your system if you are happy with it as is.

François

My Computer

Good point François.

Shawn

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
Thanks Shawn,

I answered already here but do not see the answer, so here i go again.

If putting the O.S., eventually some other stuff on the C partition and you need about 20 GB (size depending on your block size if using Raid), best is to add 50 % for that partition, 100% is you plan to add more size to the OS partition in the future. This can easily be done, with the huge drives available now.

That way Vista will work faster, not having to search for free bytes. Furthermore the MFT (Master File Table) will not need to be defragged every 12 hours (this can happen if your OS has not enough free space). If this happens your computer will slow down.
If you do not use a defrag program which checks the MFT, then you will not know this of course. Raxco checks this and lets you know.

Figurs like 20 GB etc are merely examples, nothing more.

François

My Computer

Back