Vista can't find any midi devices

dimhoLt

Hi guys.

Been trying to solve this for weeks now but can't find the solution, so I'll have to ask you. I can't play midi-files anymore. WMP says "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device, such as a sound card or sound controller."

I use Noteworthy Composer too to try out different composition ideas etc, which says "There's currently no MIDI-device selected for playback. Would you like to select one now?". I click "Yes", but the list, which should contain eg. the Microsoft Midi Mapper and the Wavesynth-something, is empty.

I run a virtual PC with XP Professional to be able to use some old software, and on that virtual computer, it works fine.

My guess would be that some program or driver that I've installed messes it up, but I can't troubleshoot since there are no error messages or anything. The WMP Online Help just says "Check your hardware" more or less. But it works on the virtual, so it must be a software problem.

Can anyone please help me, if not with a solution, at least with how to troubleshoot this?

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
dimhoLt

My Computer

Thanks. It worked to reinstall the drivers. Was hell to identify the card though. If anyone else has these problems, try the Direct X Diagnostics tool, found under "Start" > "Run" > "dxdiag". Select the sound tab and check the manufacturer there.

Thanks alot.

My Computer

Back