Vista Locks Up/Freezes

B

BigDaddy5XL

Need Help.

Vista Home Premium x64 Locks up/Freezes after any wireless connection to the internet is made. The time seemed random at 1st but after some bios/hardware tweaking I can get connected for approx 10 sec before Vista locks up/freezes. It is not like it is becoming "non responsive" - All operations cease - the mouse pointer will not move nor any keyboard command registering (alt+ctrl+del, ctr+shift+backspace, alt+f4, etc.).....nothing. I have to cut the power to restart the computer. :cry:

This used to happen while I was playing Assassin's Creed but after adjusting the settings in the bios that has gone to a minimum. I spoke w/ both EVGA and D-Link tech support but they were unable to pinpoint the problem. EVGA suggested that lock ups/freezes are generally caused by the graphics card and/or RAM. I built this rig and all of the most recent drivers/bios versions were used in the installation of the hardware.

This is the only thing hindering me from completing my gaming rig. Vista performance rating 5.7 (due to processor - all other ratings at 5.9)
Can smoothly run Crysis at 1600x1200, No Anti-A, and all other settings on Very High w/ DX10. :D

Specs:
EVGA 780i SLI Mobo
Intel E8400 3.0GHz 1333 FSB Wolfdale
Patriot Viper DDR2 800MHz 4GB (2x2GB) 4-4-4-12 2.2V
XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog Edition (Core: 640MHz RAM:1900MHz)
Corsair 1000W Modular Power Supply
WD Velociraptor 300GB Sata 3.0GB/s 10,000RPM Hard Drive
D-Link DWA 552 Extreme N Wireless Card

My Computer

Hi,

There are a few things that you can try. Do you have problems if you connect directly using an Ethernet cable? Try using another slot for your wireless card. Are your wireless card and router compatible with each other, and are they set up correctly? Refer to the relevant instruction manuals. Generally speaking, for best compatibility you need to use the same manufacturer. Have you installed SP1 yet? There is a driver available, version 7.3.1.42, which, according to D-Link, is included in SP1.
Dwarf

D-Link DWA-552 Xtreme N Desktop Adapter

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dwarf Dwf/11/2012 r09/2013
    CPU
    Intel Core-i5-3570K 4-core @ 3.4GHz (Ivy Bridge) (OC 4.2GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M
    Memory
    4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B (16GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GeForce GTX770 Gaming OC 2GB
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition on board solution (ALC 898)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ViewSonic VA1912w Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    OCZ Agility 3 120GB SATA III x2 (RAID 0)
    Samsung HD501LJ 500GB SATA II x2
    Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB SATA II
    Iomega 1.5TB Ext USB 2.0
    WD 2.0TB Ext USB 3.0
    PSU
    XFX Pro Series 850W Semi-Modular
    Case
    Gigabyte IF233
    Cooling
    1 x 120mm Front Inlet 1 x 120mm Rear Exhaust
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 3000 (USB)
    Mouse
    Microsoft Comfort Mouse 3000 for Business (USB)
    Internet Speed
    NetGear DG834Gv3 ADSL Modem/Router (Ethernet) ~4.0 Mb/s (O2)
    Other Info
    Optical Drive: HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30 SATA Bluray
    Lexmark S305 Printer/Scanner/Copier (USB)
    WEI Score: 8.1/8.1/8.5/8.5/8.25
    Asus Eee PC 1011PX Netbook (Windows 7 x86 Starter)
Thank you dwarf for responding. and yes I do have SP1 according to the Windows installation DVD. I did go to the above site and download the drivers and use those drivers to install the card even though the site says they are included on SP1. I do use the compatible Router for the card also the DIR 655. I have not attempted an ethernet connection yet but I do plan to attempt that today (at work right now). I have attempted to use a different slot on the mobo w/ the same results but it could be worth another attempt. As far as the hardware being "set up correctly" I did use the included discs to set up the router but the included disc for the wireless card only has the old (32 bit?) drivers on it and the installation fails approx 1/2 way through. Sometimes I am able to connect, open internet explorer, and load A webpage just before vista locks up. Thanks again for the reply and if you or anyne else has any other suggestions please dont hesitate to post. Thanks.

My Computer

Ok.

So I used the ethernet to hook up to the internet and there is no instant freeze like w/ the wireless card. So I am able to access tthe internet but I do need to get teh wireless card working. I do experience frezing still. Mid- Game Install, Mid-Defrag and if anyone can help w/ this I would be very greatful, because this whole freezing thing is getting very old. Having to hard boot my computer once an hour or so is killing me. :mad:

Please Help.

My Computer

maybe try another wireless card - I've had great success with the ASUS WL-138G V2 - cheap and vista 64 drivers install automatically.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    E8400
    Motherboard
    asus p5ql-e
    Memory
    ocz pc 1066 2x2gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    asus eah3650 silent
    Sound Card
    Edirol UA-25
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway FPD2185W
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    750g samsung
    PSU
    Zalman ZM460B 460W
    Case
    Lian Li A05 + 2 x Sythe S-FLEX SFF21D 120mm case fan
    Cooling
    Coolermaster Hyper Z600 fanless CPU cooler
    Keyboard
    Merc Stealth
    Mouse
    Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000
    Internet Speed
    DSL
Anything in the 802.11 N department? With my old card I could get 300Mb/s.
As of right now I have taken the Wireless card out of the Mobo and am using a wired connection. I am hoping the random freezes I am experiencing are due to Vista checking the wireless card or something. If anyone has the EVGA 708i SLI Mobo, is running Vista Home Premium x64, and has a wireless N card/usb device. I am still up for suggestions. I'd prefer not buying a new card (considering the card cost $80-90), but if that is what i have to do to keep my compy from freezing. I am at work right now and will not be able to work on my compy for another 8 hrs or so. Thanks for the help guys and I will post back regardless of the results I have w/ removing the wireless card completely. Thanks again.

My Computer

My apologies for posting so late - had to run a long enough time to determine if vista would crash. I was right though. I phisically took the wireless card out of the mobo and vista has not locked since. D-Link says it has x64 drivers for the wireless card. Well I downloaded something that let vista find the card but as far as functioning.......you would be better off writing the drivers yourself. Not one crash since, (5 hrs w/o restart or shutdown) and several game installations later. Probably wont even bother w/ this card anymore. I'll just get one that will work instead. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all your help guys.

My Computer

Hi,

Here are some links for you. Please note that it is recommended that you stick to the same make for the router and wireless adapter for best performance. Of course, if you can manage with the Ethernet connection then that is the best way. Alternatively, there are solutions which use the power wiring of your house as a network with adapters that plug in. These adapters are linked to your PC and router via Ethernet cables, so your system behaves as though it is directly connected by Ethernet. You should find details of these when browsing the following sites.
Dwarf

D-Link | Welcome

Linksys - A Division of Cisco

NETGEAR - Wireless routers, adapters, and other networking solutions for the home, smb, and broadservice Providers

http://www.belkin.com/

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dwarf Dwf/11/2012 r09/2013
    CPU
    Intel Core-i5-3570K 4-core @ 3.4GHz (Ivy Bridge) (OC 4.2GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M
    Memory
    4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B (16GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GeForce GTX770 Gaming OC 2GB
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition on board solution (ALC 898)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ViewSonic VA1912w Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    OCZ Agility 3 120GB SATA III x2 (RAID 0)
    Samsung HD501LJ 500GB SATA II x2
    Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB SATA II
    Iomega 1.5TB Ext USB 2.0
    WD 2.0TB Ext USB 3.0
    PSU
    XFX Pro Series 850W Semi-Modular
    Case
    Gigabyte IF233
    Cooling
    1 x 120mm Front Inlet 1 x 120mm Rear Exhaust
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 3000 (USB)
    Mouse
    Microsoft Comfort Mouse 3000 for Business (USB)
    Internet Speed
    NetGear DG834Gv3 ADSL Modem/Router (Ethernet) ~4.0 Mb/s (O2)
    Other Info
    Optical Drive: HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30 SATA Bluray
    Lexmark S305 Printer/Scanner/Copier (USB)
    WEI Score: 8.1/8.1/8.5/8.5/8.25
    Asus Eee PC 1011PX Netbook (Windows 7 x86 Starter)
I had the same issue with the DWA522 from D-Link using the Vista 64 driver posted on thier web site. It is a late 2007 dated driver. Right above it is a July 2008 set of drivers that includes Vista 64 drivers. Loaded the later dated driver and no issues for 45+ hours and multiple reboots since.

My Computer

Back