Vista Sidebar Gadgets Broken

Yeah I've tried that and still no luck. I've even deleted the contents of my C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar folder and replaced it with a friends but still nothing. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated!

Try creating a new user account it might work?

My Computer

The gadgets that look broken like the ones you can see in my first post are:

Clock
Contacts
CPU Meter
Feed Headlines
Notes
Slideshow
Stocks

My Computer

Well, surely something broken in XML...
So as re-registring the dll did not do the trick, run a sfc /scannow in an elevated prompt command.

My Computer

Thanks for the tip guys. I ran a sfc /scannow and sfc /verifyonly. scannow found a few errors and sucessfully repaired them and verifyonly found no problems. I did a restart and ran another scannow which reported no errors found. However this still hasn't fixed the problem.

If it is indeed a problem with XML then is there a way to reinstall it without having to do a Repair Install for Vista? I don't have a Vista installation DVD as I wasn't given one with my laptop. I'm using SP1 anyway so that makes it even more inconvenient to create my own installation disk with SP1 on it.

My Computer

Another thing to check.
If you don't use Windows Aero, activate it, if you use it, deactivate it, reboot then reactivate it.

EDIT:
btw, i forgot this one:

regsvr32 msxml4.dll
(CMD as admin + reboot)

My Computer

I am using Aero so I disabled it, did the regsvr32 msxml4.dll thing and rebooted but still no change. Hasn't made a difference to any of the gadgets I listed as broken.

My Computer

Any more suggestions guys? Is it possible to reinstall XML without having to do a Repair Install for Vista (sorry if I'm repeating myself but this is really bugging me).

My Computer

If it is any help, I am having the exact same problem with my gadgets. My clock looks exactly the same as greenies. Any solution would be appreciated.

Lee

My Computer

Hi,
Just received a friend's mail describing the same problem, dll re-registerded did nothing too.
As it happened to my friend's computer just after having installed Avast, it told him to uninstall it and the problem was solved.
He reinstalled Avast after an sidebar is still OK.
So, maybe you could try deinstalling your AV to check if it solves the problem, deactivating it may work but i guess that some entries have to be cleared.
Check also that if you changed AV that the old one has been deinstalled entirely, for example on a PC which had Kaspersky for ages and then moved to Nod 32, in the Windows firewall control panel settings, Kaspersky were still appearing as the main firewall (just the name was present because of some weird registry entries).
Hope it helps.

My Computer

Unfortunately I don't have Avast installed to begin with. I try downloading it, installing it and then removing it (making sure to completely get rid of it with Revo Uninstaller and CCleaner) but it didn't seem to solve the problem.

My Computer

I've been doing a few other re-installations over the past few days to see if it makes a difference. I found a few MSXML Core Services installers on the Microsoft website but these didn't seem to make a difference. I also tried reinstalling Java again but unfortunately nothing.

Does anybody else have any more suggestions? Did you manage to get yours working again Rooster44?

My Computer

Hi greenie,

I think you misunderstood my last post, i did not tell you to install Avast but just trying to expalin what happened to my friend.
The problem could come from the AV running on your system, so try this way:
Uninstall your current AV software, disable your firewall, then uninstall the gadgets and reinstall them to check if there are any changes.
The problem you experience is very common and if the dll reg does not work, i did not see a real improvement except the AV issue.
I will try to check the entries made by one of the gadgets in conflict and will let you know.

My Computer

Hi sidney,

Sorry I misunderstood your previous steps. I have been using AVG 8.0 Free as my anti virus. I disabled my firewall, uninstalled it, rebooted, re-registered DLLs and still I have the same problem. Hopefully this gives you some help on what to try next.

greenie

My Computer

Back