vista wireless problems

hangman

Well, the problems started when I tried to play an WC3 on my new laptop through wireless. Imo, wireless is the only way to go. I soon discover vista has the same problem xp had, in that a service will automatically search for a better network every 30-60 seconds when I don't need a better network. While doing this it essentially disconnects you and causes lag/spikes in the game and boots you.

With Windows XP I did a lot of researching around 3-4 years ago and found that you could disable this through Wireless Zero Configuration. So, every time I booted xp I would let it connect, and then turn WZC off. After that, my games ran as smooth as butter with no lag.

First of all, I can't believe this many years later, Vista has the same problem, but now its even worse. WZC is gone and I can't just turn it off to fix the problem. I've tried updating the drivers, downloading WLAN optimizier, and Vista Anti-Lag.

Is there any legit and easy way to fix this? Will a new router fix the problem? The router I have is pretty old but It connects so I think Vista will probably always search regardless of the router.

How do I fix this? I'm going crazy...

Thanks for the help!

My Computer

26 views and no replies :cry:...

I might also add this little wireless problem causes problems with myspace music as well.

Maybe can someone tell me if they play games with vista wireless and don't get any lag? Does anyone do that?

Thanks... Someone please help :p

Last edited:

My Computer

Hi, i am not a gamer but will try to help you.
I understand the problem though when i play music or video through my wireless connection i do not have the "spikes" people talk about.

Did you try Vista anti-lag Vista Anti-Lag (VAL)

My Computer

Hi, i am not a gamer but will try to help you.
I understand the problem though when i play music or video through my wireless connection i do not have the "spikes" people talk about.

Did you try Vista anti-lag Vista Anti-Lag (VAL)

Yea, I tried anti-lag and it didn't work. Wlan Optimizer helped a little bit.

So you are using wireless and don't get any spikes? What router and wireless card are you using? Do you use factory settings? How old is the router you use?

Thanks

My Computer

26 views and no replies :cry:...

I might also add this little wireless problem causes problems with myspace music as well.

Maybe can someone tell me if they play games with vista wireless and don't get any lag? Does anyone do that?

Thanks... Someone please help :p

Hi....
I think i have a fairly simple workaround for you. Most wireless cards will come with their own software to control them. If you use this, 1) it should stop vista from searching networks as it will give up control of the card 2) you'll have a few "advanced" options. On most wireless cards you turn Radio mode off (this is where you listen for networks). You don't need radio mode since you've already sensed your network and have it stored in memory. This will stop the wireless card from searching for more networks and stop the lag, if this is the cause of it. :)

ideally though you want a wired modem for gaming..

also try this......http://www.martin-majowski.de/wlanoptimizer/

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    ME.....
    CPU
    Q9450 @ 3.6ghz
    Motherboard
    P5K PREMIUM
    Memory
    8GB 1066mhz buffalo firestix
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD 5970
    Monitor(s) Displays
    20'' syncmaster
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    160GB 7200RPM SEAGATE BARRACUDA IDE
    160GB 7200RPM SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA 2
    PSU
    XCILIO 850w
    Case
    unknown ATX
    Cooling
    Arctic cooler pro 775
    Keyboard
    logitech EX110
    Mouse
    logitech cordless optical
    Internet Speed
    2mb
So you are using wireless and don't get any spikes? What router and wireless card are you using? Do you use factory settings? How old is the router you use?

Yes, my router is a "box" installed by my ISP (3 years old), on laptops, i use the integrated wireless card and on 1 desktop (others being wired) i use a PCI lynksys card and i use the linksys monitor to configure it.

EDIT: BTW, you could add a kind of wifi bridge connected to your ethernet port, that would do the job.

My Computer

I believe I finally figured out something through help from another internet forum.

Disable Wireless Zero Configuration In Windows Vista at WLAN Book.com

You can enable and disable that every time you turn on vista unless you have another network controller other than Windows.

Now that I've said that, I'd prefer to leave it off and download a good network control software from somewhere.

So, does anyone have a link to a great network controller that is free?

Thanks.

My Computer

Difficult without knowing the type of controller used by your laptop.
On the other hand, this problem can be resolved by modifying the properties of your current controller (device manager/ your controller properties)

My Computer

Well, I can't tell if I fixed the problem where it lags when searching for a new network. I did speedtest.net several times and discovered my laptop gets really slow speeds. Last night my speeds were fairly high though at 2.5 mb/s download and 450 kb/s upload.

My dad's xp laptop in the same vicinity as mine got 4 mb/s download and 400 kb/s upload. The hp millenium with direct ethernet connection to the router got 5 mb/s download and 500 kb/s upload.

I have tested and manipulated my laptop all day and the fastest speeds I have gotten were 500 kb/s download and 450 kb/s upload. I tested it far away and close with the same bad results. I also connected to a new n router in the neighborhood that was an open network and got the same slow speeds, albeit I barely got a signal on that one, so I can't be positive it's not my router.

This evidence leads me to believe however that it is my laptop with vista. I have fooled around with just about every wireless setting on my laptop. Any more suggestions?

controller is dell wireless wlan card utility

My Computer

Make sure *every single driver* and especially those associated with your network card are the absolute latest versions....

And if it is the laptop and Vista, then every other owner of that laptop and Vista should be complaining about it as well - so you should take a look around at the HP forums and start bugging HP tech support.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro X64 Insider Preview (Skip Ahead) latest build
    Manufacturer/Model
    The Beast Model V (homebrew)
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 965 EE @ 3.6 GHz
    Motherboard
    eVGA X58 Classified 3 (141-GT-E770-A1)
    Memory
    3 * Mushkin 998981 Redline Enhanced triple channel DDR3 4 GB CL7 DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3-12800)
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0 (04G-P4-3979-KB)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio (onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 * Lenovo LT2323pwA Widescreeen
    Screen Resolution
    2 * 1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    SanDisk Ultra SDSSDHII-960G-G25 960 GB SATA III SSD (System)
    Crucial MX100 CT256MX100SSD1 256GB SATA III SSD (User Tree)
    2 * Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA II Mech. HD
    Seagate ST1500DL001-9VT15L Barracuda 7200.12 1.5 TB S
    PSU
    Thermaltake Black Widow TX TR2 850W 80+ Bronze Semi-Mod ATX
    Case
    ThermalTake Level 10 GT (Black)
    Cooling
    Corsair H100 (CPU, dual 140 mm fans on radiator) + Air (2 *
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 (gen 2)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master (shared)
    Internet Speed
    AT&T Lightspeed Gigabit duplex
  • Operating System
    Sabayon Linux (current, weekly updates, 5.1.x kernel)
    Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo ThinkPad E545
    CPU
    AMD A6-5350M APU
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics card(s)
    Radeon HD (Embedded)
    Sound Card
    Conextant 20671 SmartAudio HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Lenovo 15" Matte
    Screen Resolution
    1680 * 1050
    Hard Drives
    INTEL Cherryvill 520 Series SSDSC2CW180A 180 GB SSD
    PSU
    Lenovo
    Case
    Lenovo
    Cooling
    Lenovo
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master (shared) | Synaptics TouchPad
    Keyboard
    Lenovo
    Internet Speed
    AT&T LightSpeed Gigabit Duplex
What controller type is it? new one from Dell?
1/ Try to test the speed with your firewall/AV disabled and first of all test the laptop being close to the router.
2/ Check with Dell if you use the latest drivers for the controller.
3/ In properties you should have:
WWM deactivated
WIFI mode: g
If you are configured for more than one network, remove all except your home network.

My Computer

Back