Vista wont run for a whole hour since installation - BSOD ecache.sys

Issue:

After installing updates from Windows Update, you may get into a Reboot loop where you machines gets to “configuring updates 3 of 3. 0% complete” then reboots. The machine then continues to reboot.

Solution:

1a. Boot to the Windows DVD and choose the repair option in the lower left hand corner, choose System Restore, and select a Restore Point predating the attempted installation of the updates.

1b. If you don't have the DVD and the Vista came preinstalled on the machine, boot to the Safe Mode options using F8 during startup (tutorial: How to start Windows in Safe Mode).

Once in Safe Mode, invoke System Restore as follows:

Start | Run | (type in) rstrui.exe | [OK]

Select an available Restore Point predating the attempted installation of the updates.

Recommendation:

To avoid running into the same problem again, install the following update separately and ASAP:

A software update is available for the Windows Vista installation software feature:
A software update is available for the Windows Vista installation software feature

Download links for manual installation:

Vista x86 : Download details: Update for Windows Vista (KB937287)

Vista x64: Download details: Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB937287)

--

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Home Build
    CPU
    AM2 Black
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte S-Series
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    G/F 9600 GT
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22in LCDX2
    Hard Drives
    to many to list
    PSU
    Home Build
    Case
    God knows
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    yes with Buttons
    Mouse
    yes got one and a Cat
    Internet Speed
    1.5mb
Umm Make sure the old one is set as ecache.sys.bak or ecache.sys.old

Yes, I renamed it to ecache.sys.bkp ... And no luck ... One thing : I found TWO ecache.sys files in my Windows folder. One was in system32/drivers and the other one was in folder which I cant remember the name, but it was huge. Do you think I should replace this one as well?

My Computer

Yes - If driving 4 sticks is the issue, then going to two (twice as large) sticks should solve it. But IMHO, there's no reason to spend the money unless you absolutely cannot get the 4 you already have working properly. Manually take over the things and see can you handle what the component makers dropped the ball on.. :)

Hi man.

I got new 2 x 2GB sticks and now the BSODs are gone. I guess you were right!

Thanks for the help!

My Computer

Just glad I could help - I feel like a pretty big n00b compared to a bunch of the guys here, so... ;)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Proudly Built by Me!
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Motherboard
    DFI UT LP P35 T2R
    Memory
    8GB OCZ Reaper DDR2 800 C44GK 4-4-4-12 2T
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire Radeon 4870x2