Vista x64 Firewall

did you ever tried using COMODO firewall .
it's very simple very easy to manage.
it's very close to be released for vista.

Uh, briefly....I think I briefly used it for XP. Thanks....I'll definitely check it out when they've released a x64 version for Vista!

My Computer

Personally I would buy a router as it greatly deminishes the need for a resource hungry software firewall.
I regularly test my Vista firewall and my router stops 99% of traffic before Vista's firewall has to do anything.
A router is £45 and is soooooo much better.

My Computer

Thanks but I already have a router. A Linksys WRT54G. I believe the best protection comes from both a good hardware and software firewall. It only takes one bad virus to destroy your data!

I'm hoping something good comes along soon for Vista x64.....firewall wise.

My Computer

It has been my experience that most virus are invited by the user. EG file sharing, opening picture with virus attached, no firewall will ever stop that.

My Computer

Mine as well. I rarely get viruses, but I still want the best software firewall you can get, but currently Vista's has served me well...still, I'd like a better 3rd party one.

My Computer

Hmm,
seems you can configure the inbuilt vista 64-bit firewall to block outgoing connections also.

start->run->wf.msc
hit 'properties'

and block outgoing also

I still don't trust it....

Can't wait for the COMODO vista-64 to actually be released, there's an 'alpha' version, (which is really supposed to screw with your system) already out

http://www.start64.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1025&Itemid=115

and a beta is scheduled for august 16th

Cheers,

Rob

My Computer

I’ve said this before a hardware router in my opinion is the best way to go. Inclusive of vista's firewall I have not yet experienced any issues.

All software firewalls need to be set, you could stop all incoming tcp/ip traffic and individually allow ports but this would cause a great deal of admin. There are thousands of ports; hackers can easily open ports (concealed in programmes you open or pictures you view).]This could be true of outgoing traffic.
If you have plenty of money to burn you will always find a reason to spend it, buying a software firewall is agreat way to use so up.
Remember even the so called best out there...if you enable a port you can still receive a nasty through it...

If you are a regular torrent/ limewire surfer I suggest you run a virtual OS that way if you get a bug you can replace the entire OS in seconds, if you backed it up to start with.

I never quite understand the obsession with firewalls...

My Computer

Well it's simple...you want the most protection available. While I don't think you have to have both a hardware and software firewall, it's great to have both.

When ZoneLabs releases ZAP for Vista x64, I'll probably go with ZAP again. Vista's software firewall is much better than XP's but it still fails some tests like leak tests. I'd rather be invisible like ZAP has you (on it's highest settings of course). Like you said though, you could manually configure Vista's firewall and only open certain ones. I don't need to do that now since I've never caught any viruses in Vista yet, but still, I like to know that I have one of the best software firewalls out there.

My Computer

AVG's anti-virus and firewall are now Vista compatible... they're pretty good and very unobtrusive... But then I would say that, I'm a Grisoft re-seller ;)

My Computer

I also wanted to ask if anyone can recommend a TESTED firewall that will alert me when an outbound connection is trying to access the Internet. I want to know what program is trying to get out, on what port is it doing it, and where is it trying to go. and before you reply I can save you the trouble and tell you I tried the Vista firewall ( sucks when it come to configuring and reporting individual programs and ports) and Norton - what a F#$#$% jock that firewall is because it has like 0 configurable options and it comes with the Antivirus that get stuck scanning the system every time. I used to use Zone Alarm before I updated to Vista x64 but as many of U discovered - its no go for the x64 bit version.
So - any ideas? thanks
fifo

My Computer

fifo, I got the same problem as you finding a firewall that I whant, upgraded to x64 some days ago and I loved ZA on my x86 system. And I whant a standalone fw, so I can choose my own AV.

Edit:
I have installed Comodo's v3 Beta.. It's still a beta but it is stable for me. It will allow you to block some apps and secure progs from internet with popups or in the settings interface. DL it on comodo's forum, u need to be registred but it will only take a sec.
Welcome to the Comodo Forum - Index glhf

Last edited:

My Computer

I would still like to have a good software firewall to go with my router though! I miss ZoneAlarm Pro, but I've got to say that I've not gotten any viruses with Vista x64 since I've installed it other than a little bit of spyware from websurfing but nothing bad at all! Usually a tracking cookie or something or something in the temp Internet directory.

My Computer

I also wanted to ask if anyone can recommend a TESTED firewall that will alert me when an outbound connection is trying to access the Internet. I want to know what program is trying to get out, on what port is it doing it, and where is it trying to go. and before you reply I can save you the trouble and tell you I tried the Vista firewall ( sucks when it come to configuring and reporting individual programs and ports) and Norton - what a F#$#$% jock that firewall is because it has like 0 configurable options and it comes with the Antivirus that get stuck scanning the system every time. I used to use Zone Alarm before I updated to Vista x64 but as many of U discovered - its no go for the x64 bit version.
So - any ideas? thanks
fifo
I know a bit late, but Btter late then Never :cool:

the Firewall you are searching for it "Agnitum outpost Firewall Pro 2008"
Vista 32-bit and 64-bit compatible (different versions though) .
I personally didnt like it but for what you mentioned , this is the best SW Firewall i have tried. :)
Hope this helps.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.0Ghz
    Motherboard
    Intel
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9650M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus N80VN-X1 Laptop
    Screen Resolution
    1280 X 800
    Hard Drives
    1 X 250GB 5200 RPM
    Internet Speed
    11 MBPS
    Other Info
    XBOX 360 Controller | Vista X64 | Simpledrive 500GB
Do you know if Zone Labs is going to release a 64-bit version of ZAP? I had heard they were going to earlier this year, but I've heard nothing since.

My Computer

Cool thanks! Are there any better known firewalls available for Vista x64 like Sygate or ZAP? I know Sygate was bought by Symantec.....just saying though. Would you say FortKnox is as good or better than Vista's firewall?

I'm actually surprised at how well Vista's firewall is, but then again, maybe the reason I've had such good results is because I'm using a router too...so. I know when I leak tests that I'm lit up like a Christmas tree though and with ZAP, I was completely invisible.

My Computer

Bowen,I dont think ZAP has a 64-bit version Released yet.I think the BETA version was out some time ago but the final version has not been released.

I'll check "FortKnox Personal FW" out , this is the 1st time i am hearing about it.
Hope its good.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.0Ghz
    Motherboard
    Intel
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9650M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus N80VN-X1 Laptop
    Screen Resolution
    1280 X 800
    Hard Drives
    1 X 250GB 5200 RPM
    Internet Speed
    11 MBPS
    Other Info
    XBOX 360 Controller | Vista X64 | Simpledrive 500GB
Fortknox has proper application control, provision for advanced rules and other features you would expect in a proper FW. I have no issues with it.. been using for a week or two now.. perhaps Asky's testing will give us all abetter insight//

My Computer

Back