Vista x64 Ultimate stutters

i like to ask this question.

i ran into something similar my hard drive freezes(stutters) a few seconds 5-10

then resumes what it was doing is this what you have been addressing or am i

off base? Freezes- Stutters- Times out are these words what you have been

posting about. i say times out or freezes i never used stutters when talking to

techs should i be say stuterring to help expalin my problem

My definition of stuttering is: multiple, very brief pauses in accepting user input and updating the video display.
The easiest way to confirm this state is to slowly move the mouse in a small circle (5-10cm on screen). Every time the system "stutters" the mouse will look like it's jumping around the expected path, instead of moving smoothly. The video display will also stop in mid fade in/out when opening Windows explorer (one way to trigger a volume interrogation it seems).

I don't consider this act a "freeze" technically as the system eventually resumes without user intervention or input (reboots, key presses, etc). I don't consider just moving the mouse "user input" for this definition.

Just a thought if updating chipset drivers doesn't work out: could it be a combination of power saving "features" and Indexing that's giving you the stutters?

If I leave my system alone, it doesn't stutter that I've seen. normal system activities don't result in stuttering (but I haven't run any full-blown games yet).
The fact that I am able to reproduce explicitly and only relating to RAID volume interrogation leads me to believe that power management is not related (as the previous related tests were negative). I would expect indexing to potentially induce the symptoms but not because it's the cause; the fact that reinstalling with different drivers seems to solve the problem for user1238 would indicate that indexing alone isn't the issue as the problem should have then returned.

My Computer

I spot read your post since it is just too long to go over. I appologize if I've misunderstood your post. You sounded like a super tech and I can't argue with you in any point. However, if your drives are Seagates, I will bet your bottom dollar the problem is due to bad contact of SATA connections. Try to wiggle and reconnect the connectors and the stutters will go away, for a little while. Until you can find a solution to keep the connectors stick, the problem will come back after a few day of gaming. Good luck.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    E6850
    Motherboard
    EVGA 122-CK-NF67-A1 680i
    Memory
    4 x OCZ Platinum 1GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB
    Sound Card
    SB X-Fi X Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 23" 5MS
    Screen Resolution
    2048 x 1152
    Hard Drives
    2 x Barracuda 7200.10 320GB RAID 0 / 1 x 500GB Maxtor
    PSU
    Seasonic 600W M12
    Case
    CM Centurion 5
    Cooling
    air
    Internet Speed
    100Mbps
i ran into this as well

1-ran test on the h/d failed
2-replaced the h/d but never a true clean install
3-that h/d failed a test as well
4-replaced the h/d a total clean install
probelm gone
also i was running 64 bit
the sata II connect where replaced after each time i replaced the h/d

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    homegrown
    CPU
    intel core2 quad Q6600 2.4ghz
    Motherboard
    gigabyte x38t-dq6
    Memory
    4gb ddr3 Corsair TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia geforce 8800gt 512mb
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC889A codec
    Monitor(s) Displays
    samsung 21.3 screen
    Screen Resolution
    1024 by768
    Hard Drives
    500gb wd hd

250gb wd hd
    PSU
    Corsair CMPSU-750TX
    Case
    -
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    Keyboard
    microsoft wireless keyboard 7000
    Mouse
    microsoft wireless mouse 7000
    Internet Speed
    cable 850
    Other Info
    pioneer dvd-rw dvr215d

lite-on cd-rw sohr

creative inspire pt7800 7.1

plus 2.1 addtional speakers

hp officejet j5750
I have been fighting a similar stutter... I was able to stop the stutter by disabling my brand new Seagate drive. The drive has thrown SMART errors on two different computers under three different OS's. It has passed the LONG Seagate drive test. What the drive does is it locks the computer up, for a short time and it seems to get increasingly worst with time. I would suggest trying to disable any extra drives if that is possible. I also noticed that my drive LED would stay on when the computer was stuttering. I hope that helps.

-JJ

My Computer

I realize this is an old thread, but I am posting a response because I had this problem (as described by the original poster) and none of the previous recommended solutions worked for me. What ended up working for me was a newer version of the JMicron JMB36X drivers...apparently the JMicron drivers that come with the Gigabyte MB driver CD (and on their website) are outdated and the old JMicron drivers have a write-back cache latency problem.

My hardware:
Gigabyte X48-DS5 MB w/ integrated Intel ICH9R RAID
(2) Western Digital WD3200AAKS HDs

Solution:

Go here:
ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/
Download the latest driver for your OS with eSATA WriteCacheDisabled.
Extract, install, etc.

Go here:
Download Software, Drivers and Utilities Filters
Download the latest Intel Matrix Storage Manager drivers for your OS.
Extract, install, etc.

Cheers

My Computer

Back