Vista64 all day and finally installed!!

Nero-no problem, Office 2007-no problem, CS3-no problem, Coolscan-?, X-Fi-?, HP printer- probably a driver close enough for now, that's what I use for mine and it even networks. I really doubt the X-Fi is going to work correctly, the coolscan is going to take some research. The files will be fine, just NEVER use windows autorun to take photos off your card NEVER. It seems real cool to have them go to the Windows Photo Gallery automatically and all but for some reason they all get corrupted enroute.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    qx6700
    Motherboard
    intel badaxe2
    Memory
    6 Gig Corsair ddr2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9600GT 512
    Sound Card
    OB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    BenQ24 Princeton19
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200 1280X1024
    Hard Drives
    8 X 500 Gig 3X 1TB RAID 0 and 2X 500 GB
    PSU
    Rosewill 950
    Case
    Thermaltake
    Cooling
    Chilltec
    Keyboard
    MS Natural Ergonomic 6000
    Mouse
    Kensington Expert
    Internet Speed
    DSL
Late here in Michigan. Mayb we can talk more. If you can send me an email to aol using my screen name. I have been on a steep learning curve since I got involved with Dell's XPS 700 last summer. A year ago, I had never seen the inside of a PC!! Good night and thanks!!

My Computer

Well, you've certainly seen a lot of internals lately. Have installed any other software on x64 yet?

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    qx6700
    Motherboard
    intel badaxe2
    Memory
    6 Gig Corsair ddr2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9600GT 512
    Sound Card
    OB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    BenQ24 Princeton19
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200 1280X1024
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Rosewill 950
    Case
    Thermaltake
    Cooling
    Chilltec
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Kensington Expert
    Internet Speed
    DSL
Well, you've certainly seen a lot of internals lately. Have installed any other software on x64 yet?
Ok, nothin major yet, installed a game TombRaider Annivers. have not tried yet but install went easy. Tried installing older version of Clone cd noooope no cigar, But I'im in joying 64bit.. was having problems with network drives, then realised my wireless laptop was using the same pc name changes desktop name now working fine.. Still trying new things will keep up to date :geek:

My Computer

Alcohol 120 works great and so does Nero. I had a heck of a time with my network, Vista is just a bit different, but once you get the differences it's quite nice. If you have Farcry install the AMD 64 bit upgrade, you'll like that too.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    qx6700
    Motherboard
    intel badaxe2
    Memory
    6 Gig Corsair ddr2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9600GT 512
    Sound Card
    OB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    BenQ24 Princeton19
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200 1280X1024
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Rosewill 950
    Case
    Thermaltake
    Cooling
    Chilltec
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Kensington Expert
    Internet Speed
    DSL
I haven't installed any software yet. I am still working on my dual boot issue. I can get into 64, but not into 32! It has been recommended that I load VistaBootPro and set up the dual load that way. Any thoughts? I don't want to go hog wild on loading things until I know all is going to be ok. Right now if I had to reload 64 it wouldn't be a big deal.

My Computer

Sorry, never heard of it. If you keep at it you'll get something going that will work for you. I would try 2 removable trays that were swappable and have 32 on one set and 64 on the other. Just insert the ones you wanted, before startup. That would not be too elegant, but effective. You keep the bios the same The same 2 drives are a RAID0 as far as it's concerned. This method would allow more fixed storage as well, in case you want to throw a couple TB drives in later, can't have enough mirrored storage.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    qx6700
    Motherboard
    intel badaxe2
    Memory
    6 Gig Corsair ddr2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9600GT 512
    Sound Card
    OB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    BenQ24 Princeton19
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200 1280X1024
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Rosewill 950
    Case
    Thermaltake
    Cooling
    Chilltec
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Kensington Expert
    Internet Speed
    DSL
There are a few issues as there are with most things; motherboards are not always built with vista in mind, though they can handle it.

My experience normally ensures that the building goes without too much trouble.
Use 2GB of ram
A single SATA/IDE formatted NTFS drive
When the OS is loaded add more RAM And Disks. Adding more RAM can require a voltage increase on older motherboards.

Personally I use Intel chip sets and have had little or now problems, ASUS boards are great.

I run XP and VISTA64
I installed XP Pro as above and partitioned the drive C: XP installed D: Empty

Switch off pc and insert vista disk.
Switch on and follow VISTA boot (not in windows)
Go to the advanced settings on selection and pick the D: drive to load vista
Vista will do the rest and you will now have an option of old windows system or Vista to boot from.

You may lessen the boot time in deciding what system to default to mine is 4 seconds and set to Vista.

My Computer

Back