why cant I hear sound I record?

bettyjane

Ive just got a new laptop... windows vista basic but it comes with a webcam, and an internal microphone. When I record sound it saves the file, but I cant play it back in windows media player. I dont know if its not recording or not playing back (the thingy moves along, it looks like it playing but no sound). I have looked on a lot of help forums and done all the things to check the right devices are selected and not muted - why wont it work??

Also I was hoping to use it to do web blogs but it seems the camera and mic are separate - do I have to set both recording separately or is there a way to do both at once?

please help
Beth

My Computer

What laptop is it?
Have you updated your drivers for your mic.

You can use your webcam and mic at the same time. It matters what you want to do with it

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba Satellite Pro l300
    CPU
    Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 550 @ 2.00GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel Corp. 88395664Q
    Memory
    DDR2, PC2-5300 (333 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Hyundai Electronics,DDR2, PC2-5300 (333 MHz), 2048 MBytes, Ap
    Graphics Card(s)
    Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Matte screen
    Screen Resolution
    1024 x 768 x 4294967296 colors
    Hard Drives
    120gb SATA 2.5inch FUJITSU MHZ2120BH G1 ATA Device
    Case
    Notebook
    Cooling
    Fan cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech Cordless Desktop EX110
    Mouse
    Logitech Cordless Optical
    Internet Speed
    256Kbps
    Other Info
    I like Spore,Rabbits and I'm a Computer Freak.
The reason you're not hearing anything is probably because no sound got recorded.

Check your recording devices settings menu and try boosting the recording volume.
Also enable microphone boost.

In the recording devices window right next to your microphone you should be a 'volume' bar that moves up if your microphone is recording loud sounds.

Talk into your microphone and see if it moves, if it doesnt, tap on your microphone with your finger and see if it moves. Tweak the recording volume settings and microphone boost to a point where the recorded volume bar goes to about 30 - 50% when you are talking into it normally.

It might also be that the recording device set as 'default' and thus is used for the recording program you use is in fact not your microphone but something else that shows up in the recording devices list but isnt actually connected/used.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Me, myself and I
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo E 8500
    Motherboard
    Asus P5Q3 DELUXE
    Memory
    4x 1GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus GeForce 9800GTX+