Why is vista so problematic?

Thank you all for the replies and I have to say that I have not listed all the issues I've had and, as I use the machine more (it's only had Vista running a few weeks) I expect to get more.
So, LordBob, I'll take you up on the suggestion to list hardware and will do that next. Regarding the Lexar, well, I'll likely have to give up on it. Funny, Future Shop here in Canada, and Best Buy (our versions of Circuit City I gather) still sell the very same reader in the memory card aisle, still does not show Vista compatible on the package. Wonder how many returns they're getting?
As for doing a reload, I'm loath to try that. My buddy, an IT professional spent a week loading it and finding updates to get Vista to like SATA hard drives. Mind you he did have to update the mobo bias and his opinion of the mobo I have was not kind! (Asrock dual Sata 939). However, Vista seems stable now. I just went through Activation Hell (can I say that here?) for 2 hours and 4 different New Delhi help desks to finally activate it. Long story, but initial "upgrade" install over a good legal XP crashed the whole system (suspect SATA drivers) has blus screen of death (BSOD in short, think I've seen that acronymn in use). So, did a "clean" install, no joy. That's when it got unplugged and unceromoniously dragged to the IT professional. So, Activation on line, msg came up :we have determined you cannot do a clean install with an upgrade version of Vista" (or something to that effect. I'm sure you can picture the invective thrown around at that point! IFirst, the upgrade version gives you the two options right at the start! If they are not going to activate you on clean install, why let you? Go figure. 2nd, had to do clean 'cause it totally screwed the system! Anyway, they did finally do it and I will say they are well trained, helpful and polite in the face of some very frustrated users.
I appreciated the insights of all of you who replied. Good to know I'm not the only one out there. Anyway, I'll continue to work out the issues here. We'll see what happens, and I'll enter that hardware info now. Goes in profile I think.

Thank you for calming down and we are glad your willing to work with us.

You do have to remember, Microsoft does like to release their OS's a bit early, which is why I wait about a year min to upgrade, as that way they work out all the bugs.

It also sounds like you got one of the worst deals I have ever seen. I myself had no problems whatsoever with Vista, with my old pc, or the new one I just built. There will always be hardware issues with anything, but (especially with older products) it is the manufacturers fault for bad drivers (or none).

DO NOT bash the mod's or Admins, as it IS NOT there fault, they did not design and code Vista, nor build the hardware it runs on. You could send a complaint to MS, but I'm sure they have enough of those, and don't read them anyways. (I wouldnt)

As for your problem, it sounds like you could have just gotten the one system combination that will not work with vista. It may simply be easier to get a new PC, and save yourself a lot of trouble. Though I understand if you want to get this one working.

~Lordbob

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5QC
    Memory
    2x2GB
    Graphics Card(s)