Windows 7 So whats so good about it?

In my opinion windows 7 is like an improvement to vista, not like a new os.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Laptop-Sony Vaio VGN-FW351J/H
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00 GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel GM45/GM47
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    16.4"
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    320 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm
    PSU
    Standerd Lithium Ion Battery=2 Hours and 30 Minutes
    Case
    Titanium Gray
    Cooling
    Air Cooled
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    V220 Cordless Optical Mouse for Notebooks
    Internet Speed
    1.58 MB/S Download .94 MB/S Upload
    Other Info
    Blu-ray combo drive, Webcam, and HDMI Output
OS X is beginning to look very, very tired now, but - and it sticks in my throat to say this - Apple do have a way with these things that MS just seem to struggle to emulate. I think 7 is a good RC and probably a very good OS, with lots of quite useful features, but the GUI is just a bit... well, that's the trouble; it's overdesigned in places and hardly designed at all in others. Like most MS OSs, a real curate's egg.

The overdesigned part that you mentioned, yep, I agree. I already think that Vista is overdesigned, which is why I left off of Vista and stayed with XP until April this year, when XP's mainstream support ended. I was hoping that Microsoft could give us an option to use the XP theme... :huh:

I liked XP when it came out but I came to detest the interface pretty soon. One application of WindowBlinds later, however, all was well.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Q6600 o/c 3GHz
    Motherboard
    GA-P35-DS3P
    Memory
    4 GHz
    Hard Drives
    4 x 250GB Hitachi
after today, win 7 can kiss my ... :eek:!

i thought this was the os to "work right out of the box."

??? Which OS can kiss your a..? :huh:

It's "win 7" (whatever that OS is... :p) that can kiss his a**.

I am left wondering how many critics slagging off at the Windows 7 RC Operating System, have actually worked, and I mean really worked the Operating System through all of it's development colours from day 1, on up to it's present state as a Release Candidate? I'm laying odds that very few, if any, have.

If that is the case, then those critics are all cloaked with the exact same mantle as worn by Windows XP Users when Vista was released. Sadly XP Users still sling the mud at Vista and will probably continue until their OS is abandoned by Microsoft, to sink quickly beneath the waves.

I have been fortunate enough to have not used any other form of Computer OS, other than Vista. I have since spent a very brief time on my Dad's XP OS and found it not only dull and boring, but liken the experience to trying to teach a tortoise how to sprint.

Sure, there have been some rather major Vista glitches where I seemed to be constantly under the cloud of one form of MS Customer Technical Support number, or other, but from my own experience, these issues are now non-existent. From memory and my records, the last time I needed to contact MS for Tech. Support was in October of 2008, and that was to do with an issue about Windows Live OneCare......now also dead in the water!

Actually, part of the fun of learning about Vista has been that at the same time, MS with Vista, was learning about itself. In essence, it seemed at times that MS were treating Vista Users as experimental mice for their own engineering and development systems. And in that is the key to how successful the launch of Windows 7 has been......for once after constant and often very disparaging criticism, I believe that MS finally sat up, took note and learned too from the Vista lesson.

I have yet to venture into the realms of Windows 7, but that has not precluded me from also taking part in the Windows 7 Forums. There I am able to learn first-hand of that OS, through the experiences of that Forum's Members......Users who are considerably more advanced in this field, than I am.

For now though, I will refrain from becoming a "Pseudo-XP User" by presenting any form of criticism of Windows 7, criticism that is based solely on a short "play" in the Windows 7 "sandpit"......I suggest that those in similar circumstances do the same, and hold their peace.

Windows 7, to answer the first question. my comment was due solely to frustration and my forgetting the fact that i'm running a release candidate, not a finished product. so bugs or glitches may be present and it seems i found on (in my case).

@sassofalco: that was very well thought out and put together. i must admit, i haven't dealt with win7 from day 1 to now, but i have used it for a little while. my frustration stems from the fact that i had to spend about 8 hours trying to fix a problem on my daughter's computer. (some frustration was due to the fact that when i installed windows 7 to dual boot on my computer, there were absolutely no problems whatsoever. so i'm like, "why am i having so many problems now?")

vista wouldn't boot and i spent a little time trying to get in with no luck. i thought that her computer would be the prime candidate to run win 7 on (she's only 6, so there's no mounds of pictures, music, or documents-- meaning i can wipe the drive and do a clean install without having to spend a lot of time backing up data. having said that, i did have to spend a small amount of time retreiving game save data for the game she plays most: burnout paradise--but i digress). i backed up the game save data, wiped the drive, and installed windows 7.

after rebooting, my first task was to set up the ip address and dns settings. win7 recognized my wireless network card and i was more than content with using the microsoft drivers. the network and sharing center showed i was connected so i went to windows update and tried to activate windows. no luck--even though network and sharing center showed i was connected to the internet. i tried: installing the network card drivers from the disc; using the dns settings from my isp (i'm using open dns); setting up the dhcp; setting a static ip address; using mac address control within the router; uninstalling the drivers then removing and reinserting the card; disabling homegroup; going to win 7 forums (on my computer of course) and seeing anyone was having the same problem----- i did all that crap two or three times in no specific order until all of a sudden, it worked! and it stayed working---at least until i had to reboot. everytime i rebooted the computer, i had to do the same shi:eek:! none of the setting for the wireless adapter were being saved, so i had to go in and reinput the ip address, subnet, gateway, and dns--everytime. that sucks. so, after getting it to work again, my next goal was to install steam and download burnout. the download started and at about 10% of the download, it stopped, and as before, the network and sharing center showed i was online. i had enough.

the only reason i wanted to use windows 7 rather than reinstalling vista was because to reinstall vista meant that i would have to install windows xp first, as this version of vista is on an upgrade disc. so, i wiped the drive again, installed xp, then installed vista. i installed sp1 and 2, then came my moment of truth: setting up the network card.

It worked right the first time using the microsoft drivers.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Garage PC
    CPU
    Intel Pentium E3300 @ 2.5GHz
    Motherboard
    BioStar G41-M7
    Memory
    A-Data PC2-6400 (2 X 2GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Diamond Radeon HD 4650
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP Mx705 (CRT)
    Screen Resolution
    1152x864
    Hard Drives
    320 GB Hitachi - System Drive /
    100 GB Maxtor - Diagnostic Application /
    PSU
    LOGISYS PS480E12 480W
    Case
    Generic Barebones Case
    Cooling
    Stock Intel HSF
    Keyboard
    Generic PS/2
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    10 d / 1 u
??? Which OS can kiss your a..? :huh:

It's "win 7" (whatever that OS is... :p) that can kiss his a**.

I am left wondering how many critics slagging off at the Windows 7 RC Operating System, have actually worked, and I mean really worked the Operating System through all of it's development colours from day 1, on up to it's present state as a Release Candidate? I'm laying odds that very few, if any, have.

If that is the case, then those critics are all cloaked with the exact same mantle as worn by Windows XP Users when Vista was released. Sadly XP Users still sling the mud at Vista and will probably continue until their OS is abandoned by Microsoft, to sink quickly beneath the waves.

I have been fortunate enough to have not used any other form of Computer OS, other than Vista. I have since spent a very brief time on my Dad's XP OS and found it not only dull and boring, but liken the experience to trying to teach a tortoise how to sprint.

Sure, there have been some rather major Vista glitches where I seemed to be constantly under the cloud of one form of MS Customer Technical Support number, or other, but from my own experience, these issues are now non-existent. From memory and my records, the last time I needed to contact MS for Tech. Support was in October of 2008, and that was to do with an issue about Windows Live OneCare......now also dead in the water!

Actually, part of the fun of learning about Vista has been that at the same time, MS with Vista, was learning about itself. In essence, it seemed at times that MS were treating Vista Users as experimental mice for their own engineering and development systems. And in that is the key to how successful the launch of Windows 7 has been......for once after constant and often very disparaging criticism, I believe that MS finally sat up, took note and learned too from the Vista lesson.

I have yet to venture into the realms of Windows 7, but that has not precluded me from also taking part in the Windows 7 Forums. There I am able to learn first-hand of that OS, through the experiences of that Forum's Members......Users who are considerably more advanced in this field, than I am.

For now though, I will refrain from becoming a "Pseudo-XP User" by presenting any form of criticism of Windows 7, criticism that is based solely on a short "play" in the Windows 7 "sandpit"......I suggest that those in similar circumstances do the same, and hold their peace.

Windows 7, to answer the first question. my comment was due solely to frustration and my forgetting the fact that i'm running a release candidate, not a finished product. so bugs or glitches may be present and it seems i found on (in my case).

@sassofalco: that was very well thought out and put together. i must admit, i haven't dealt with win7 from day 1 to now, but i have used it for a little while. my frustration stems from the fact that i had to spend about 8 hours trying to fix a problem on my daughter's computer. (some frustration was due to the fact that when i installed windows 7 to dual boot on my computer, there were absolutely no problems whatsoever. so i'm like, "why am i having so many problems now?")

vista wouldn't boot and i spent a little time trying to get in with no luck. i thought that her computer would be the prime candidate to run win 7 on (she's only 6, so there's no mounds of pictures, music, or documents-- meaning i can wipe the drive and do a clean install without having to spend a lot of time backing up data. having said that, i did have to spend a small amount of time retreiving game save data for the game she plays most: burnout paradise--but i digress). i backed up the game save data, wiped the drive, and installed windows 7.

after rebooting, my first task was to set up the ip address and dns settings. win7 recognized my wireless network card and i was more than content with using the microsoft drivers. the network and sharing center showed i was connected so i went to windows update and tried to activate windows. no luck--even though network and sharing center showed i was connected to the internet. i tried: installing the network card drivers from the disc; using the dns settings from my isp (i'm using open dns); setting up the dhcp; setting a static ip address; using mac address control within the router; uninstalling the drivers then removing and reinserting the card; disabling homegroup; going to win 7 forums (on my computer of course) and seeing anyone was having the same problem----- i did all that crap two or three times in no specific order until all of a sudden, it worked! and it stayed working---at least until i had to reboot. everytime i rebooted the computer, i had to do the same shi:eek:! none of the setting for the wireless adapter were being saved, so i had to go in and reinput the ip address, subnet, gateway, and dns--everytime. that sucks. so, after getting it to work again, my next goal was to install steam and download burnout. the download started and at about 10% of the download, it stopped, and as before, the network and sharing center showed i was online. i had enough.

the only reason i wanted to use windows 7 rather than reinstalling vista was because to reinstall vista meant that i would have to install windows xp first, as this version of vista is on an upgrade disc. so, i wiped the drive again, installed xp, then installed vista. i installed sp1 and 2, then came my moment of truth: setting up the network card.

It worked right the first time using the microsoft drivers.

So then what you mean is since you are using an RC operating system, you cannot say a final statement about it, as it is not released yet. In that case, this thread shouldn't exist, because we can't really say what's good about Win 7 and what's bad, because we haven't seen the final product.

But that just creates another problem. If we weren't to give feedback about Win 7 now, what would be the purpose of creating a Beta or RC?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 640m Notebook MXCO61
    CPU
    Intel Core Duo T2080 @ 1.73GHz
    Memory
    Dell Memory 2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Mobile Intel 945GM Graphics Accelerator
    Sound Card
    Dell High Def. Sound
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 14.1" High Res. UltraSharp Notebook Display
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    One Hard Drive
    120GB
    Keyboard
    Dell Inspiron 640m Stock
    Mouse
    Logitech V4500 Wireless Notebook Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    54MB/s
OS X is beginning to look very, very tired now, but - and it sticks in my throat to say this - Apple do have a way with these things that MS just seem to struggle to emulate. I think 7 is a good RC and probably a very good OS, with lots of quite useful features, but the GUI is just a bit... well, that's the trouble; it's overdesigned in places and hardly designed at all in others. Like most MS OSs, a real curate's egg.

The overdesigned part that you mentioned, yep, I agree. I already think that Vista is overdesigned, which is why I left off of Vista and stayed with XP until April this year, when XP's mainstream support ended. I was hoping that Microsoft could give us an option to use the XP theme... :huh:

I liked XP when it came out but I came to detest the interface pretty soon. One application of WindowBlinds later, however, all was well.

Maybe a combination of the XP interface and Vista interface would work better? ;)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    Dell Memory 2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Dell High Def. Sound
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    One Hard Drive
    120GB
    Keyboard
    Dell Inspiron 640m Stock
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    54MB/s

Honestly, I don't think this has anything to do with anything. Of course, people who were part of the development see the whole process and can appreciate the release candidate far more than a new customer. The thing is, it's not really about them. It's about me, him, and his 6 year old daughter. If the release candidate can't take the criticism, it should not have been a release candidate, now should it?

I've heard not once before that Vista is to 7 as 2000 is to XP. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft were treating Vista as a test release of 7. Is it not weird that 7 came so quickly after Vista, when Vista took so long after XP? I see a very clear pattern actually - if I were to group Microsoft's OS's together, it wouldn't be hard to put 95 and 98 together, 2000 and XP, and Vista and 7.

I agree with you on this point, but I'm going to take it one step further - I don't like criticizing operating systems. I have heard so much Microsoft criticism in my life (and that isn't really that long), and I slowly learned that most problems are a matter of misuse - OS's are some of the most invested pieces of software out there. I mean, who can possibly design the basis of the computer to meet EVERYONE'S needs fairly - that by the way, also needs to be compatible with every third party hardware and software on the market? Sometimes, you're just gonna be one of those people who has to work a little harder to tune your system to be good for you. Nothing to do about it.

Microsoft is under so much pressure to do what they do well, and I don't expect them to worry more than they do. They're doing a great job as far as I'm concerned. I do hope people understand that OS's are much bigger projects than people tend to think...

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP dv5-1120ej Notebook PC
    CPU
    Intel Dual 2.16GHz
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia GeForce 9200M GS, 256MB
    Hard Drives
    320GB internal, 320GB external, 1TB external to come (big download library XD)
    Internet Speed
    Fast enough
    Other Info
    Firefox, Foobar, and AutoHotkey! Go open source!

Honestly, I don't think this has anything to do with anything. Of course, people who were part of the development see the whole process and can appreciate the release candidate far more than a new customer. The thing is, it's not really about them. It's about me, him, and his 6 year old daughter. If the release candidate can't take the criticism, it should not have been a release candidate, now should it?

I've heard not once before that Vista is to 7 as 2000 is to XP. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft were treating Vista as a test release of 7. Is it not weird that 7 came so quickly after Vista, when Vista took so long after XP? I see a very clear pattern actually - if I were to group Microsoft's OS's together, it wouldn't be hard to put 95 and 98 together, 2000 and XP, and Vista and 7.

I agree with you on this point, but I'm going to take it one step further - I don't like criticizing operating systems. I have heard so much Microsoft criticism in my life (and that isn't really that long), and I slowly learned that most problems are a matter of misuse - OS's are some of the most invested pieces of software out there. I mean, who can possibly design the basis of the computer to meet EVERYONE'S needs fairly - that by the way, also needs to be compatible with every third party hardware and software on the market? Sometimes, you're just gonna be one of those people who has to work a little harder to tune your system to be good for you. Nothing to do about it.

Microsoft is under so much pressure to do what they do well, and I don't expect them to worry more than they do. They're doing a great job as far as I'm concerned. I do hope people understand that OS's are much bigger projects than people tend to think...

I don't think that the OS grouping happens in Mac OS X, which is quite a relief. But wait... If it took 6 years for MS to go from XP to Vista, then will I also have to wait 6 years for Windows 8 to be released? Because in today's computer world, 6 years is quite a long time. The only reason XP could endure from 2001 all the way to 2007 was because MS developed it right. Imagine using Windows ME all the way until Vista.

Does Windows ME seem a little primitive now? Well, the amazing thing is that Windows ME only came out ONE year before XP, and one year is not a long time. What would happen if MS skipped XP and went directly to Vista after ME came out? Wouldn't it feel weird?

The grouping thing that MS is doing is not really benefitting us. I can't predict the future, but I don't think that Windows 7 can endure 6 years of service.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    Dell Memory 2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Dell High Def. Sound
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    One Hard Drive
    120GB
    Keyboard
    Dell Inspiron 640m Stock
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    54MB/s
Does Windows ME seem a little primitive now? Well, the amazing thing is that Windows ME only came out ONE year before XP, and one year is not a long time. What would happen if MS skipped XP and went directly to Vista after ME came out? Wouldn't it feel weird?

The grouping thing that MS is doing is not really benefitting us. I can't predict the future, but I don't think that Windows 7 can endure 6 years of service.

What I'm trying to say, is that the pattern usually shows a new and innovative OS, which usually requires a lot of troubleshooting and fixes, and then shortly after it a fresh version is released, that uses the innovations but doesn't need as much troubleshooting (because the previous one took all the criticism and testing).

You can't make a big change in OS without running into a million issues for every little thing you change. So one version makes all the new changes (UAC, new user folder structure, just to name a few), and the next version learns from the first one how to deal with it.

7 may not have to hold out for 6 years, but it will have to hold out until Microsoft come out with Win8. And Win8, I predict, will surely be far more innovative than 7 is (as Vista was more than XP was, and ME was more than 98, and 95 was more than 3.11, etc...) and will surely be subject to many issues and criticism. On the other hand, Win8 will pave an easier path for Win9...

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Intel Dual 2.16GHz
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    Fast enough
    Other Info
I have some questions!

I have some questions!

1. What are the priorities in building an OS. Is is for Business or Pleasure...etc.

2. I don't see a problem with the fact they build a new OS every few years, aren't the reasons for this:~

A. Better security.
B. Faster
C. Stability etc.

3. The big pain is the price of a new OS everytime. Why does it cost so much?:sa:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 St
    Motherboard
    Asus STRIKER EXTREME 680I SLI
    Memory
    Corsair 4GB Kit (4x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Point Of View 8800GT 512MB GDD
    Sound Card
    Soundmax 5.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 46"
    Screen Resolution
    1080P
    Hard Drives
    1x WD Raptor WD360ADFD 36GB SATA 10KRPM 16MB Cache
    1x WD Raptor WD740DFD 74GB SATA 10KRPM 16MB Cache
    PSU
    Coolermaster 600W
    Case
    Coolermaster nVidia
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooling Extreme
    Keyboard
    MS Wireless Entertainment Keyboard 7000
    Mouse
    MS Wireless Laser mouse 8000
    Internet Speed
    1.2mb & 10mb
1. What are the priorities in building an OS. Is is for Business or Pleasure...etc.
Microsoft tries to make it an operating system for everyone. When your OS is 90% of the market, you need to make sure it's for business, pleasure, and all. I believe most operating systems are like that. Except for Linux - Linux's priority is anything that isn't Microsoft. I'm Just kidding. Linux, in my opinion, focuses a lot more on software development. I.E. they're programming an operating system to be able to program. :p

3. The big pain is the price of a new OS everytime. Why does it cost so much?:sa:
Because they can sell if for so much and people will still buy it (well, some will). Ever wonder why Microsoft is so rich?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Intel Dual 2.16GHz
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    Fast enough
    Other Info
I have some questions!

2. I don't see a problem with the fact they build a new OS every few years, aren't the reasons for this:~

A. Better security.
B. Faster
C. Stability etc.

Hey Trax

Nice Avitar

The big pain is the price of the OS, and the price of the hardware requred to run it. Im getting win 7 for $19 but have to plunk down abt $100 for upgrades. thats when it really gets expensive

Ken

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated intel 945
    Sound Card
    integrated
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    300 gig internal
    Internet Speed
    10 down 1.5 up
I am still ambivalent about it. Yes, W7 has a smaller footprint than Vista and it loads faster. But there are a lot of functions missing that I like in Vista (e.g. Quick Launch or the toolbar that I create by pushing a folder into the screen frame). I also think the GUI is less logical. The functions are sprawn all over the place and one really has to search for it. Plus there are still a lot of OEM programs that do not work - but that will get fixed over time.
I think for the time being I will stick to Vista. Performance is not my problem because my systems have enough "muscle".

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell
    CPU
    Q6600
    Memory
    4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207h
    Hard Drives
    2x250GB HDDs
    1x60GB OCZ SSD
    6 external disks 60 to 640GBs
    Other Info
    Also 1xHP desktop, 1xHP laptop, 1xGateway laptop
i think its totally overpriced for minor tweaks

ive been using all releases of 7 and ive just reinstalled vista again and the only thing i miss is the aero snap and not having videos and downloads as a link in the start menu .:shock:.

my vista boots faster than 7 but vista takes longer on first loading screen but straight into desktop stays on welcome screen for about a second desktop fully functional straight away and 7 used to hang on welcome screen..

in my experience with vista when using it for general purpose or gaming its so reliable ..never , i repeat never had bsod.

7 is better out of the box for performance but aslong as you know how to tweak vista whats a bit bogged down with services at first installation you can get vista running better than xp or 7

would i pay 100 quid for an os not in a million years for slight improvement:cool:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Apire m3201
    CPU
    AMD Phenom 9150e Quad core processer 1.8ghz
    Memory
    4gig corsair 800 mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon 4870 512mbs gdr5
    Monitor(s) Displays
    32"
    Screen Resolution
    1920-1080
    Hard Drives
    320gb
    PSU
    ocz extreme 600 watt
    Internet Speed
    4.0mbs
7 just a Vista upgrade?

It sounds to me then so far as I can understand it some features are better, some are the same, some have gone altogether? It boots faster and has very few teething problems...
and looks a little nicer...
So question now is, is it worth the £69 market price for UK Type E (Meaning no browser). Me thinks not. I'll probably work with Vista untill Windows 8 comes along in 2012 unless someone wants to give it to me for a few bob...;)

Love to all! Oh and Merry Christmas....:devil:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Soundmax 5.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 46"
    Screen Resolution
    1080P
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Coolermaster 600W
    Case
    Coolermaster nVidia
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooling Extreme
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1.2mb & 10mb

Eloquent comments Tony.:D

Ditto here, reading, absorbing & learning. [when time permits.]

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    LAPTOP. HP Pavilion dv7-1005TX .
    CPU
    IntelCore [email protected] x2
    Memory
    4.00 GB installed, max capacity 8 GB.
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT & 512MB DDR2 dedicated graphics mem.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.0" diagonal WXGA + High definition brightview widescreen infinity display.
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900
    Hard Drives
    SPECS.
    Drive 1. 298.09 GB Fujitzu MHZ2320BH G2 ATA Device
    Drive 2. [ All as above.]

CONFIG. C:\287.65 GB, D:\298.09 GB, E:\10.44 GB.
    Case
    Laptop / notebook.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    IBM enhanced
    Mouse
    Synaptics PS/2 Port touch pad.
    Internet Speed
    ADSL [ Too slow.]
    Other Info
    Webcam.
JMH

I'm not criticising Windows 7 except for the fact I don't quite think it's worth it. No matter what the final release will look like. Even though you can preorder it now, so there won't be a lot of difference!
Anybody wanting a new computer must have 7 on it but I don't see the point in upgrading from Vista when it's just cosmetics...

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Soundmax 5.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 46"
    Screen Resolution
    1080P
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Coolermaster 600W
    Case
    Coolermaster nVidia
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooling Extreme
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1.2mb & 10mb
TechNet is well worth the price.

What are the biggest, best or most worth-mentioning benefits of joining Technet? It's NOT cheap. I'm really curious. Thanks in advance, for answering this!

:sarc:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 820QM 1.73GHz "Clarksfield" (8 Threads)
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 0874P6 (U2E1)
    Memory
    4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 661MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series
    Sound Card
    (SoundMAX) IDT High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15"+ Standard Dell Studio 1558 LCD monitor.
    Screen Resolution
    1024 x 768
    Hard Drives
    (x2) 1TB WD "Elements" External HDD + (x1) 1.5TB WD "Elements) External HDD; 500GB Solid State Storage on laptop.
    PSU
    N/A Notebook
    Case
    N/A
    Cooling
    External (NON-USB!) NZXT CRYO-S (X) Silver. ICE COLD.
    Keyboard
    Standard, non-10-key, no fancy backlighting.
    Mouse
    Good 'ol reliable USB 2.0 Microsoft 3-button mouse.
    Internet Speed
    16 Mbps w/ Aaris DOCSIS 3.0-compliant modem
    Other Info
    Gigabit LAN. Tight network security. (Hopes of getting a Linksys 4-Port Gigabit Security Router with VPN!) Disabled WiFi/Wireless hardware; don't believe in the concept. If I did, would use draft-N adapter.
TechNet is well worth the price.

What are the biggest, best or most worth-mentioning benefits of joining Technet? It's NOT cheap. I'm really curious. Thanks in advance, for answering this!

:sarc:

This is an interesting question that I was also asking myself. But I think it would be better if you made a new thead with that question rather than burying it in the middle of a Windows7 discussion.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell
    CPU
    Q6600
    Memory
    4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207h
    Hard Drives
    2x250GB HDDs
    1x60GB OCZ SSD
    6 external disks 60 to 640GBs
    Other Info
    Also 1xHP desktop, 1xHP laptop, 1xGateway laptop
I'm not criticising Windows 7 except for the fact I don't quite think it's worth it. No matter what the final release will look like. Even though you can preorder it now, so there won't be a lot of difference!
Anybody wanting a new computer must have 7 on it but I don't see the point in upgrading from Vista when it's just cosmetics...

I will be upgrading to Windows 7, Ultimate, SP1, on my next new laptop. ;)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    LAPTOP. HP Pavilion dv7-1005TX .
    CPU
    IntelCore [email protected] x2
    Memory
    4.00 GB installed, max capacity 8 GB.
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT & 512MB DDR2 dedicated graphics mem.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.0" diagonal WXGA + High definition brightview widescreen infinity display.
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900
    Hard Drives
    SPECS.
    Drive 1. 298.09 GB Fujitzu MHZ2320BH G2 ATA Device
    Drive 2. [ All as above.]

CONFIG. C:\287.65 GB, D:\298.09 GB, E:\10.44 GB.
    Case
    Laptop / notebook.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    IBM enhanced
    Mouse
    Synaptics PS/2 Port touch pad.
    Internet Speed
    ADSL [ Too slow.]
    Other Info
    Webcam.