Windows can't check for updates (pls help!!!)

well those are both on delayed start and functioning properly. what's up then???

There may be several resons for this problem, and I must admit I am running out of ideas. Here are some:

1) In XP, the services Cryptographic Service, Remote Procedure Call and System Restore Service also need to be working. In my Vista, Crypto is started and automatic, RPC is started and automatic, but I have no SRS. As my WU is working just fine, we do not need to worry about that one.

2) Go to Control Panel – Security – Windows Firewall and start it. If you have a yellow field saying it is not using the recommended settings, press the link “Update settings now”. Then disable your 3rd party firewall and try WU again. Some sites recommend to disable the Vista Firewall too, but I would not recommend that, as it may be risky to run even a short time without a firewall.

3) You have also tried to re-register WU. But it did nothing. I suppose you followed the advice given by Airbot in another thread: “Type cmd in the start menu search bar and right click on cmd. Click run as administrator. In the command prompt type: NET STOP WUASERV and press enter
type: REGSVR32 %WINDIR%\SYSTEM32\WUPS2.DLL and press enter
type: NET START WUASERV and press enter
Exit out of the cmd.”

4) The Vista System Update Readiness Tool, mentioned earlier, is supposed to fix error 0x800B0100, but it appears it did nothing. If it ran properly, you should have a log: WINDOWS\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log. If it is there, it may provide some clues.

5) You could also try the Systems file Checker.

6) Follow this link and you will find a gold mine of suggestions: http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...&pt=&catlist=&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us
Some of them are based on the results of the CheckSur log mentioned above.

If nothing works, unless you have already done so, set back your DNS configuration to the previous setting and try again. If you have a hardware firewall, or router, if possible try to connect directly to the Internet with wire.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS720
    CPU
    Intel Quad Q6600 2.40GHz
    Motherboard
    Dell 0YU822, NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI SPP / SLI MCP
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 800MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gainward GeForce GTX 560 Ti, 1024 MB GDDR5
    Sound Card
    Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 2407WFP-HC
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    NVIDIA 640GB SATA Raid 0 (2x320GB) (7200 rpm) for Vista,
    Intel X25-M G2 160 GB for W7,
    Maxtor OT III External HDD,
    WD Elements 1 TB External HDD
    Internet Speed
    100/20
    Other Info
    M779 PCIe PAL/SECAM/DVB-T Desktop TV Tuner. Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller.
Hey, no worries thank you for all the help you have provided me already(not to mention I was starting to wonder whether you were a machine or something, not running out of ideas like that!!!)

1) same stuff goin on my side here, so the crypto and RPC services are auto and started, and no sign of SRS

2)I've re-instated my windows firewall and I am not ready to part with shaw secure(it is definitely not the problem as I've been running is on alternate systems with no conflict, not to mention how it's been running since I've had an internet connection for that matter...) no flags are showing and everything is reported as active and functioning properly.

3)Yeah.. Did that whole shabang, but when you say %windir%\system32......., is that what should be typed, or the actual directory location(i.e. C:\system32...)?
I've tried it both ways and it did seem to work either, but really wondering more than anything

4)I found the checkSUR log and it looks like this

=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Version 6.0.6001.22275
2009-01-25 00:41
Checking Deployment Packages
Checking Package Manifests and catalogs.
Checking package watchlist.
Checking component watchlist.
Checking packages.

(f) CBS MUM Missing 0x00000002 servicing\packages\WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core-CoreComp~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~7.2.6001.788.mum
(f) CBS MUM Missing 0x00000002 servicing\packages\WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core-TopLevel~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~7.2.6001.788.mum
(f) CBS MUM Missing 0x00000002 servicing\packages\WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~7.2.6001.788.mum

Checking component store
Checking SMI Store
Summary:
Milliseconds: 3022303

Found 3 errors
CBS MUM Missing Total Count: 3 (any tips on how to just make the file reference so I'm not copy pasting?!!!) I gonna try to SFC those files in peticular.

5) now this starts getting interesting, my first runthrough, I restarted the system and there are 3 updates for windows thats were configured(looks like windows defender, but it's been a while since i have seen any install during the shutdown process in a good while, so I'll count that as progress *kudos*) It said some were error were found, but not all corrected, and to check in CBS.log, access denied! So its going again and i'll complete the tutorial. keep you posted on results

6) this one I'm gonna delve into, thanks for the useful tip and link for that matter. Keep you posted on the outcome.

This has become quite the troubleshooter thread and should be kept alive. Thank you for all of you help in the process and I value your help. I tried to give you some rep, I guess I'm not able to or I'm just not capable, but I defenitely appreciate the valuable Vista information you are sharing with me. Thanks again!!!!!:geek:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sony VAIO/VGN-NR280E notebook
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 duo CPU @ 1.67 ghz
    Memory
    1.0 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard Mobile INTEL 965 Express Chipset Family
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor(15.4" LCD screen)
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 760
    Hard Drives
    200GB FUJITSU MHY2200BH
Good luck! Hope you sort it out.
Edit: In your case, for # 3, it does matter which option you choose, you will get the same result. For #2, normally the firewall should not cause you any problem as BITS should bypass it (!). All the same, other people have reported such problems, and you never know if some configuration has gone crazy. Same goes for antivirus; other people have got WU to work when disabling.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS720
    CPU
    Intel Quad Q6600 2.40GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 800MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 2407WFP-HC
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    100/20
    Other Info
    M779 PCIe PAL/SECAM/DVB-T Desktop TV Tuner. Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller.
well, for now I've sent an email to WU support, hope that helps, and I was looking at the option of shutting down my antivirus to try and run the update as I found that on some of those posts you linKed me to, and I've added WU as an allowed program through the firewall. Waiting on some support from the windows side for now!!!!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    1.0 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 760
    Hard Drives
    200GB FUJITSU MHY2200BH
So I was finally able to open the CBS.log which revealed to me that in fact there are two component files (associated with windows update client and ActiveX), so thank you both Submarine and Gran, both in the right direction, but is there any way to re-initate this or something. The log read this

2009-02-03 14:54:19, Info CSI 00000174 [SR] Cannot verify component files for Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient-ActiveX.Deployment, Version = 7.2.6001.784, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral, manifest may be damaged (TRUE)

2009-02-03 14:54:19, Info CSI 00000175 [SR] Cannot verify component files for Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient-ActiveX, Version = 7.2.6001.784, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral, manifest may be damaged (FALSE)

and the number 7.2.6001.784 is not unseen in my logs, notably trying to upgrade to 7.2.6001.788, and the upgrade is not authenticating because of the error code 0x800b0100. Sh*t just keep getting more complicated. Anybody else have any ideas??

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    1.0 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 760
    Hard Drives
    200GB FUJITSU MHY2200BH

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS720
    CPU
    Intel Quad Q6600 2.40GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 800MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 2407WFP-HC
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    100/20
    Other Info
yeah, you know what, mine is still signed to 784, and its not letting me update it, how can I do that, could you send me a copy of it and then I register it or something?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    1.0 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 760
    Hard Drives
    200GB FUJITSU MHY2200BH
yeah, you know what, mine is still signed to 784, and its not letting me update it, how can I do that, could you send me a copy of it and then I register it or something?

It is a whole bunch of files, and it is not a very good idea to take dll files from one computer to another. All types of problems may occur. I think it may be a corruption caused by an earlier update, which is causing the problems. This could happen if you have system crash or power out prior to or during a reboot after an update. This is a reason to restart as soon as possible after this is requested by WU. I will have another go tomorrow, unless someone else comes along with a solution. We are starting to develop some useful information.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS720
    CPU
    Intel Quad Q6600 2.40GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 800MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 2407WFP-HC
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    100/20
    Other Info
It is a whole bunch of files, and it is not a very good idea to take dll files from one computer to another. All types of problems may occur. I think it may be a corruption caused by an earlier update, which is causing the problems. This could happen if you have system crash or power out prior to or during a reboot after an update. This is a reason to restart as soon as possible after this is requested by WU. I will have another go tomorrow, unless someone else comes along with a solution. We are starting to develop some useful information.

Thats what I was thinking for the dll transfer, and like you said, it includes like 4 or 5 different dll's, which i'll try to log later, trying to take a little break for now. My CBS.log was also showing some issues with framework around the date where all of these problems started occuring, but those seem to have been fixed(so don't worry about that). The files that SFC were unable to clear remain at ActiveX/WUclient files. This thread is turning into quite the info link. Thank you for all your hard work!!!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    1.0 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 760
    Hard Drives
    200GB FUJITSU MHY2200BH
right now its leading to corrupt files being unable to be updated, as shown in

=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Version 6.0.6001.22275
2009-01-25 00:41
Checking Deployment Packages
Checking Package Manifests and catalogs.
Checking package watchlist.
Checking component watchlist.
Checking packages.

(f) CBS MUM Missing 0x00000002 servicing\packages\WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core-CoreComp~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~7.2.6001.788.mum
(f) CBS MUM Missing 0x00000002 servicing\packages\WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core-TopLevel~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~7.2.6001.788.mum
(f) CBS MUM Missing 0x00000002 servicing\packages\WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~7.2.6001.788.mum

Checking component store
Checking SMI Store
Summary:
Milliseconds: 3022303

Found 3 errors
CBS MUM Missing Total Count: 3

Checksur.log. like I was saying earlier, and really hoping, Windows Support can help me figure this out, but your contribution in making understand the problem I am having is tremendous

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    1.0 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 760
    Hard Drives
    200GB FUJITSU MHY2200BH
There is a certain inconsistency in your logs as checksur is missing mum files for the newer version of WU, whilst the CBS log is referring to the old. This is only info though, not warnings or errors. If you search the CBS log, do you find anything on 7.2.6001.788?

If you look in c:\windows, there should be WindowsUpdate.log. Have a look in that.

Also refer to the excerpt from the Windows Vista Deployment Error Diagnostic Guide, and you will find some additional info. You can see your error is a Component Based Servicing Error and not a WU error, which of course is in line with what we already have concluded. Note it is a thread. If you look it through, you may find ways of solving your problem manually. As your problem is related to the WU control itself, which is an important piece of Vista, and since this is something I have no personal experience of, I do not like to post any suggestions here. You may want to wait for assist from someone who has done this themselves. Prior to doing anything, make a restore point and/or backup.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS720
    CPU
    Intel Quad Q6600 2.40GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 800MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 2407WFP-HC
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    100/20
    Other Info
When it come to the CBS.log, the errors reflected only revolve around 7.2.6001.784, and when I view the last entries of my WU.log Which I have check previously but never after net stop net start up of WUAUSERV, and I was able to see that my WUClient revision is still at 7.2.6001.784, while the most part of my DLLs are 7.2.6001.788.

Now Windows Support wrote me back and they of course took me right ground up(and that's why I ended up seeing that last entry on my WU.log), basically just like going through Brink's Windows Reset and Repair Tool tutorial. So now I've sent them copies of my CBS.log (no thanks to them as they told me to access it in windows, and you HAVE to extract using findstr in Admin Cmd) thanks Brink again as I'd still be stumped on that part if it wasn't for another one of your tutorials (top of the SFC command tutorial) , CheckSUR.log and an NFO of my system, we'll see how long that takes, and be assured once it is fixed (cross my fingers) I'll post the solution and hopefully close the thread with some conclusive material!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    1.0 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 760
    Hard Drives
    200GB FUJITSU MHY2200BH
overall, I personally see a corrolation between the two, as the CheckSUR seem as an Upgrade fail whilst the CBS looks to be the DLL corruption indicator, meaning as the corruption is in state, the upgrade cannot take place, no?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    1.0 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 760
    Hard Drives
    200GB FUJITSU MHY2200BH
When it come to the CBS.log, the errors reflected only revolve around 7.2.6001.784, and when I view the last entries of my WU.log Which I have check previously but never after net stop net start up of WUAUSERV, and I was able to see that my WUClient revision is still at 7.2.6001.784, while the most part of my DLLs are 7.2.6001.788.

Now Windows Support wrote me back and they of course took me right ground up(and that's why I ended up seeing that last entry on my WU.log), basically just like going through Brink's Windows Reset and Repair Tool tutorial. So now I've sent them copies of my CBS.log (no thanks to them as they told me to access it in windows, and you HAVE to extract using findstr in Admin Cmd) thanks Brink again as I'd still be stumped on that part if it wasn't for another one of your tutorials (top of the SFC command tutorial) , CheckSUR.log and an NFO of my system, we'll see how long that takes, and be assured once it is fixed (cross my fingers) I'll post the solution and hopefully close the thread with some conclusive material!

overall, I personally see a corrolation between the two, as the CheckSUR seem as an Upgrade fail whilst the CBS looks to be the DLL corruption indicator, meaning as the corruption is in state, the upgrade cannot take place, no?

I have actually extracted the CBS log successfully several times in the past, just by copying it, pasting it into my documents folder and renaming it. I got a lot of pop-ups to OK when I pasted, but went along and didn't get any problems. Still working fine. SFC checks through all kinds of system files and tries to restore them, not only dll's. Anyway, we know what is wrong but not what caused it. Whatever it was, it may have been fixed with checksur or sfc.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS720
    CPU
    Intel Quad Q6600 2.40GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 800MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 2407WFP-HC
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    100/20
    Other Info
OK, didn't really think about that(duh) but I'll definitely do that and check if there is anything else to see in the CBS.log. I'm getting pretty close to go back on warranty for this one as I don't have an OEM or full disc of vista (Dont think it came in the box as I would have noticed it and I'd remember having one) and I've went and paid for a 2 year warranty on the d@mn thing. I'm still waiting on a response from WinSupport, thought I'd have one by now, and really hoping on being able to fix this. As for a cause, I only know the date of the first errors (12-28-2008) and they all tag as a .NET Framework files. All of those have been fixed though. I just checked the full log and geez there is a lot more in that, so I went ahead and sent WinSup a new Email with it and hope it all goes well!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    1.0 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 760
    Hard Drives
    200GB FUJITSU MHY2200BH
OK, didn't really think about that(duh) but I'll definitely do that and check if there is anything else to see in the CBS.log. I'm getting pretty close to go back on warranty for this one as I don't have an OEM or full disc of vista (Dont think it came in the box as I would have noticed it and I'd remember having one) and I've went and paid for a 2 year warranty on the d@mn thing. I'm still waiting on a response from WinSupport, thought I'd have one by now, and really hoping on being able to fix this. As for a cause, I only know the date of the first errors (12-28-2008) and they all tag as a .NET Framework files. All of those have been fixed though. I just checked the full log and geez there is a lot more in that, so I went ahead and sent WinSup a new Email with it and hope it all goes well!

I think we have actually not dicussed the possibility of a system restore. If you have a system restore point from, say early Nov, you can try that and you might find yourself at a point before the update of WU that clearly failed.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS720
    CPU
    Intel Quad Q6600 2.40GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 800MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 2407WFP-HC
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    100/20
    Other Info
I think we have actually not dicussed the possibility of a system restore. If you have a system restore point from, say early Nov, you can try that and you might find yourself at a point before the update of WU that clearly failed.

Yeah, I looked at that possibility after going through some of Brink's tutorials, but my earliest restore dates to 01/25/2009, which is the date I joined the forum and tried to resolve the issue:cry:, and with all the progress I managed to get through, many updates managed to install, but I'm really in the same position, as WU is still trying to update software with no avail. I'm actually starting to encounter another problem, I think it might be router related(oh and I don't know if I had mentionned it, but I tried a direct connection too, and, well you know.....). Still crossing my fingers and waiting for a response from WinSup, hoping the new files I have provided them will give them a better understanding of the issue.

And many thanks again Submarine, you are definitely helping me out great deal with your suggestions! Cheers!!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    1.0 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 760
    Hard Drives
    200GB FUJITSU MHY2200BH
I'm seeing the solution and it seems the restoration of windows is in order. I've been communicating with WinSup for a couple of weeks now, and seeing as I did not receive a disc upon purchase, they're actually sending me a disc free of charge!! I was thrilled (and surprised!) to see such a prompt response in the matter once I told them I was never given a disc with my purchase. All in all, thank you again for all your help and hopefully this thread becomes useful for other users running through the same issues (hopefully they won't have to go through the full extent an resolve the issue by page 2, lol!!).

Have an awesome day!!!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    1.0 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 760
    Hard Drives
    200GB FUJITSU MHY2200BH
I'm seeing the solution and it seems the restoration of windows is in order. I've been communicating with WinSup for a couple of weeks now, and seeing as I did not receive a disc upon purchase, they're actually sending me a disc free of charge!! I was thrilled (and surprised!) to see such a prompt response in the matter once I told them I was never given a disc with my purchase. All in all, thank you again for all your help and hopefully this thread becomes useful for other users running through the same issues (hopefully they won't have to go through the full extent an resolve the issue by page 2, lol!!).

Have an awesome day!!!
Well good luck. I hope you do not have to go through a clean install, just a repair? If you are thinking of a clean, I have a couple of suggestions to try first. Not much to loose then.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS720
    CPU
    Intel Quad Q6600 2.40GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 800MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 2407WFP-HC
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    100/20
    Other Info
Well good luck. I hope you do not have to go through a clean install, just a repair? If you are thinking of a clean, I have a couple of suggestions to try first. Not much to loose then.

I'm waiting on my vista CD and then we'll see. If I run into the need to go clean I'll defenitely drop you a line for those suggestions, greatly appreciated!!!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    1.0 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays