Windows freezes on screen saver

shebajd1

Can anyone explain why Windows periodically freezes when the screen saver is running? :huh:

At first I thought it was due to the Windows Live Photo Gallery. After running for several hours (overnight, for e.g.), it would freeze on one picture. Usually moving the mouse would eventually close the screen saver and I'd return to the desktop.

I then changed to a regular screen saver, Mystify. Usually this isn't a problem, but today when I moved the mouse, the screen saver froze. I couldn't soft boot, actually had to shut down manually. This is the second time this has happened.

I've checked whether I'm using the latest video driver using device manager, and it says everything is up to date. I'm using NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430, driver version 7.15.11.7530. Could there be a device conflict? How would I be able to tell? Thanks.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    eMachines T5234
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ 2.1GHz, 2x512KB L2 cache
    Memory
    1024MB 667MHz DDR2 dual-channel memory (2 × 512MB)
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
    Screen Resolution
    1024 x 768 x 75 hertz
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD32 00AAJS-00VWA SCSI Disk Device
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    PS/2 Compatible Mouse
    Internet Speed
    20M download, 5M upload
    Other Info
    Verizon FIOS
    ATAPI DVD A DH16A1P ATA Device
Let's make sure it's the screen saver. Type "power options" in the Vista menu. Perferred plan: high performance. Change Plan Settings -> Put the computer to sleep: never.

See if it still freezes. This is just to pinpoint the problem.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    AMD AM2 6000+
    Motherboard
    Nvidia M2N-E SLI
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 7600GT
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    WD
    Case
    Cooler Master
    Cooling
    Three fans
    Keyboard
    Dell Quietkey
    Mouse
    Dell Optical
    Internet Speed
    10 MBPS
I'll give it a try and let you know what happens. Thanks.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    eMachines T5234
    CPU
    Memory
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1024 x 768 x 75 hertz
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    PS/2 Compatible Mouse
    Internet Speed
    20M download, 5M upload
    Other Info
    Verizon FIOS
Can anyone explain why Windows periodically freezes when the screen saver is running? :huh:

At first I thought it was due to the Windows Live Photo Gallery. After running for several hours (overnight, for e.g.), it would freeze on one picture. Usually moving the mouse would eventually close the screen saver and I'd return to the desktop.

I then changed to a regular screen saver, Mystify. Usually this isn't a problem, but today when I moved the mouse, the screen saver froze. I couldn't soft boot, actually had to shut down manually. This is the second time this has happened.

I've checked whether I'm using the latest video driver using device manager, and it says everything is up to date. I'm using NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430, driver version 7.15.11.7530. Could there be a device conflict? How would I be able to tell? Thanks.

Are you auto hiding the taskbar? \What power configuration are you using?
\
Could you fill in our system specs (lower left corner) so we know what hardware you have

ken

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated intel 945
    Sound Card
    integrated
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    300 gig internal
    Internet Speed
    10 down 1.5 up
Make sure Vista is fully updated too.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sony Vaio Z46GDU
    CPU
    [email protected] w/6MB L2 cache 1066MHz FSB
    Memory
    6GB DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    9300M GS 256MB + Intel Integrated 4500MHD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    13.1" WXGA True Colour Tough
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    320GB SATA 7200RPM
    Internet Speed
    1MB/s
To answer the questions posed:
  1. I updated my system specs.
  2. I'm running Vista SP2, which I keep updated with relevant Windows updates. I don't install everything they push cause I've seen problems with some updates.
  3. I'm not auto-hiding the task bar.
  4. At lemur's suggestion, I changed my power options to High performance (had been set as Power Saver). Turn off display = 30 minutes. Put computer to sleep = Never.
I usually keep the PC on all the time. After I moved the mouse to wake up the PC, nothing happened. I tried soft booting, nothing happened. I had to shut down and restart.

The only other things I can see that could potentially be issues are memory conflicts. Not sure if this is normal or what, but I see a few that include the display device. Sysinfo shows the following under conflicts/sharing:

I/O Port 0x00000000-0x000003AF PCI bus
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x000003AF Direct memory access controller

IRQ 21 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
IRQ 21 NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

I/O Port 0x00009000-0x0000FFFF PCI bus
I/O Port 0x00009000-0x0000FFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge

Memory Address 0xFEFF0000-0xFEFF03FF High precision event timer
Memory Address 0xFEFF0000-0xFEFF03FF System board

I/O Port 0x00001C00-0x00001C80 PCI bus
I/O Port 0x00001C00-0x00001C80 NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003DF PCI bus
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003DF NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    eMachines T5234
    CPU
    Memory
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1024 x 768 x 75 hertz
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    PS/2 Compatible Mouse
    Internet Speed
    20M download, 5M upload
    Other Info
    Verizon FIOS
Is DMA (direct memory access) enabled for your dvd drive? Also check out the BIOS to see what power options there are. You could also take out one memory stick and leave one in. Flashing the BIOS may also help.

This link is old but it may help:

http://www.webtechgeek.com/How-to-Resolve-IRQ-Conflict.htm

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sony Vaio Z46GDU
    CPU
    Memory
    6GB DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    320GB SATA 7200RPM
    Internet Speed
    1MB/s
I checked the link you provided. The instructions say that in Device Manager I should see "An exclamation point ( ! ) in a yellow circle will appear next to the names of ports or device that are conflicting," but none of the devices show a conflict, even though sysinfo shows there is an IRQ conflict.

I'll keep searching re: the DMA enabled and flashing the BIOS.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    eMachines T5234
    CPU
    Memory
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1024 x 768 x 75 hertz
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    PS/2 Compatible Mouse
    Internet Speed
    20M download, 5M upload
    Other Info
    Verizon FIOS
I checked the link you provided. The instructions say that in Device Manager I should see "An exclamation point ( ! ) in a yellow circle will appear next to the names of ports or device that are conflicting," but none of the devices show a conflict, even though sysinfo shows there is an IRQ conflict.

I'll keep searching re: the DMA enabled and flashing the BIOS.

Seeing as its an nforce chipset, flashing the BIOS should help. If you need your motherboard type to find the BIOS, open up msinfo32 or download Belarc Advisor.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sony Vaio Z46GDU
    CPU
    Memory
    6GB DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    320GB SATA 7200RPM
    Internet Speed
    1MB/s
Without making any changes other than to the power options, last night I received a BSOD. I wasn't sitting at the computer when it happened, just looked up and there it was, so I never saw the full message. I believe it was something about KERNEL_INLINE_PAGE_ERROR, or something like that.

The system then rebooted, so I figured it would reboot into the repair mode and I'd be able to run the startup repair, open in safe mode, etc. Instead, I received a disk read error AGAIN, the same problem I had about a month ago. Since I knew I had Spinrite and that worked before, I rebooted and went into the BIOS so I could make sure one of the HD settings was correct. But when I looked at the settings, all the numbers were zero, big fat goose eggs. It seems the system isn't detecting the hard drive.

I still tried using Spinrite, which lets me see a list of hard drive devices, and the same thing. I have the tool on a flash drive that it recognizes as a hard drive, but it doesn't detect the "real" hard drive.

I even tried running startup repair from the recovery disk, but I receive an error trying to run it. I can't run startup repair from the HD because of the disk read error.

So I'm back to looking at a blank screen. Can anyone suggest something to at least allow the system to see the hard drive? Thank you.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    eMachines T5234
    CPU
    Memory
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1024 x 768 x 75 hertz
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    PS/2 Compatible Mouse
    Internet Speed
    20M download, 5M upload
    Other Info
    Verizon FIOS
A kernel inpage error occurs when the OS experiences problems during the delicate process of attempting to page in parts of itself (the OS) from the HDD. In other words, those portions of the OS which don't always need to sit resident in RAM are sometimes paged out (to disk) as necessitated by runtime memory pressure. If those memory pages subsequently become inaccessible, for whatever reason, the condition is lethal and it results in a stop 0x7A.

Given your subsequent findings, the HDD or its controller are almost certainly broken. Sorry :(

(BTW, they don't call it "spinrite" for nothing - it's nothing more than spin. Steve Gibson is a controversial figure in IT with opinions asymmetrically divided over whether he's a w###er or not - Steve says "no" and almost everybody else says "yes".)

My Computer

Wow. I guess I kind of suspected that, but it certainly doesn't make me happy. :cry:

So I guess my only option is to have it serviced? Is anything repairable? For instance, can a tech get data from the old HD if I need to replace it? I already know that my warranty is up...eMachines confirmed it. Meaning I'd have to pay big bucks for just for them to tell me I need to replace the hard drive.

Spinrite did seem to fix my issue before, so I can't say one way or another how much "spin" it is. But I guess all it did was move good data to another location, but if the HD was ready to crash, it didn't prevent that from happening.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    eMachines T5234
    CPU
    Memory
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1024 x 768 x 75 hertz
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    PS/2 Compatible Mouse
    Internet Speed
    20M download, 5M upload
    Other Info
    Verizon FIOS
So I guess my only option is to have it serviced? Is anything repairable? For instance, can a tech get data from the old HD if I need to replace it? I already know that my warranty is up...eMachines confirmed it. Meaning I'd have to pay big bucks for just for them to tell me I need to replace the hard drive.

You're at the "jiggle it, just a little bit" stage of troubleshooting. There's always the possibility that the disk read errors are caused by nothing more than a cable connector which is improperly seated, or a spec of dust between contacts.

You may want to unconnect the cable from the HDD and the motherboard, blow some compressed air over the contacts, and then reconnect everything. Next thing would be to try a different SATA/IDE port, if the motherboard has one spare. Swapping the cable out would also rule out that possibility.

Best of all, if you have access to another machine, stick the drive in there, preferably using completely different cables. If it still behaves the exact same way, I'm afraid you'd have to spend significant money to get a data recovery place to look at it.

Good luck.

My Computer

Back