Windows Updates, and now other updates fail consistently

ok, so i followed the instructions step by step and no success to report.

when i tried to net stop the wuauserv and bits, they were not running so they were not stopped by this attempt.

the rest responded with success as expected until i got to renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder. it did not exist so was not renamed.

a couple other potential clues when i restarted...
- the error i received when attempting to start Windows Update was "WindowsUpdate_800706BA"

dawg

Dawg,

Thats very serious dude...If the bits and wuauserv services are not running that is the cause of your windows update errors :shock: The softwaredistribution folder should also be there so thats another problem for your PC.

type Services.msc into the start-menu searchbox and set both services to start Automatically (Important!) "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" and "Windows Update"...If they fail to start it means you have a very serious failure of Windows Kernel Services usually caused by 3rd party system utility's and Viruses :eek:

Steven

My Computer

Of course, if you removed those services and / or disabled them from install (say, via a vLite modified installation) then the software distribution folder may not be there - it is created on Windows Update's first run, is it not?

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro X64 Insider Preview (Skip Ahead) latest build
    Manufacturer/Model
    The Beast Model V (homebrew)
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 965 EE @ 3.6 GHz
    Motherboard
    eVGA X58 Classified 3 (141-GT-E770-A1)
    Memory
    3 * Mushkin 998981 Redline Enhanced triple channel DDR3 4 GB CL7 DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3-12800)
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0 (04G-P4-3979-KB)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio (onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 * Lenovo LT2323pwA Widescreeen
    Screen Resolution
    2 * 1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    SanDisk Ultra SDSSDHII-960G-G25 960 GB SATA III SSD (System)
    Crucial MX100 CT256MX100SSD1 256GB SATA III SSD (User Tree)
    2 * Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA II Mech. HD
    Seagate ST1500DL001-9VT15L Barracuda 7200.12 1.5 TB S
    PSU
    Thermaltake Black Widow TX TR2 850W 80+ Bronze Semi-Mod ATX
    Case
    ThermalTake Level 10 GT (Black)
    Cooling
    Corsair H100 (CPU, dual 140 mm fans on radiator) + Air (2 *
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 (gen 2)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master (shared)
    Internet Speed
    AT&T Lightspeed Gigabit duplex
  • Operating System
    Sabayon Linux (current, weekly updates, 5.1.x kernel)
    Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo ThinkPad E545
    CPU
    AMD A6-5350M APU
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics card(s)
    Radeon HD (Embedded)
    Sound Card
    Conextant 20671 SmartAudio HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Lenovo 15" Matte
    Screen Resolution
    1680 * 1050
    Hard Drives
    INTEL Cherryvill 520 Series SSDSC2CW180A 180 GB SSD
    PSU
    Lenovo
    Case
    Lenovo
    Cooling
    Lenovo
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master (shared) | Synaptics TouchPad
    Keyboard
    Lenovo
    Internet Speed
    AT&T LightSpeed Gigabit Duplex
I was there also I think. I had problem when Vista Ultimate went into elevated screen, when screen turns gray and asks for permission. I could not install updates or do any administrative things. I removed my better Nvidia graphic card and installed good but slower ATI card problems solved all but Dreamscenes working. Dream scecenes installs properly but will not allow reboot. removed in safe mode all is fine Vista Ultimate rock solid. Problem was solved by what I thought had nothing to do with anything.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Built by me with help from a lot of different newsgroups
    CPU
    2 dual core 275 opterons
    Motherboard
    tyan 2885
    Memory
    4 gigs corsair reg ecc
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI 3850 agp graphic card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 SynMaster 2253LW 1 SyncMaster 206BW samsung 32 inch LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050 1600 x 900 still working on it
    Hard Drives
    Highpoint raid 1820 raid 5 5 raptors, just repaired 3 more for photos scratch spare
    PSU
    2 power supplies about 1500 total watts
    Case
    2 Thermaltake cases married together
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    logitech wireless
    Mouse
    logitec wireless trackball
    Internet Speed
    DSL 1024 down 350 up, wireless mesh 4500 down 3500 up
    Other Info
    Win tv 1600 with satalite tv connected to it.

just had to replace primary monitor, old just plain failed
    2253 LW is pretty cool almost 4 more inches wide mode than previous which was big, this is massive almost don't need second monitor
also to report, when i looked at the services, both have been changed to Automatic (delayed) but neither was started. so i changed them to automatic and started them.

the windows update doesn't do anything right away, but the BITS service generates a windows system error almost immediately. i'm still scanning but now am quite worried about an undetected virus or malware.

My Computer

i've resigned myself to the fact there is probably a virus and i need to start over. what a pain, i have about 75GB of photos and about the same from my CD collection.

Here's the $64K question. how do i reload windows Vista? do i start all over from scratch and reinstall all these apps and pull down my data backups, or do i just reinstall my OS?

my machine had me create system disks way back when but it told me that i was limited on the number of times i could use them. i can retrieve my keys for my load, if i had the dvds i could just reload. instead i end up using one of my precious times to reload. where can i get copies of the OS? again, not to try to pirate, i have programs that show me the keys used to install the OS in the first place.

sorry fo rall the questions, thanks for any help you can provide.

My Computer

Back