Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Beta Overview

If you have an IT dept that is their job... so even still.. a service pack is not needed... I just wish that the update for the kernel, if its done, they push it out... I want the ultimate extras to be DELIVERED.

Well, that's the problem... I *am* the IT dept. And not just for one company... for lots of companies. And so many updates are getting a little old. Tell me... wouldn't you rather install one big giant update than dozens of tiny ones?

My Computer

Service packs are a lot more than just aggregations of all the current updates (wow, I used "aggregation" in two posts in a row, I need a thesaurus).

Service packs usually include altogether new builds of a lot of the system and supporting components. Windows XP SP2 was a particularly exaggerated example of this, because they really had to rewrite lots of components to secure the system. Some service packs are smaller and simpler, but they still follow the same idea of being an updated version of the OS.

I for one, don't think they are holding updates off because of the service pack. I've gotten a couple new drivers recently. For the most part -- there actually have been substantially less security problems with vista than xp in the same period (excluding the 64bit signed driver debacle).

They have been releasing a lot of hotfixes to limited audiences. I think the reason for this is the newness of a lot of the system. They are having to really test out the causes of some of the issues and what effects their fix has on other things. For the most part, these aren't usually things pushed in updates anyway since hotfixes are only slightly tested, and pushing them to their population could really cause problems. And that is what issuing a service pack is for - finally delivering a major system update of tested code to the production population.

Cheers,
Rob Redbeard

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    E8400 @ 4.0 Ghz
    Motherboard
    GA-EX38-DS4
    Memory
    OCZ 860MHz 5-5-5-15 1.86v
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x Sapphire HD 3870 GDDR4