Yet Another Quicktime / Itunes....Windows Installer Package Problem!

I want to give my too coins, since I have spent about one night on exactly this problem.
I have solved in quite a polite way. The problem is due to the fact the iTunes try to install with a default user ID that is probably the default on a clean windows install, but not on my ACER laptop (your too, isnt it?) with VISTA HOME 32bit.
The step that actually blocks the installation is when it tries to run the Apple update service, but none of the programs is runnable because of the wrong ownership. I found precious information in this thread to dig out the problem - thank you all.

Here is what I have successfully done:
- unpacked the iTunes setup package (I have worked with version 9.2.1) using 7zip
- run AppleSoftwareUpdate.msi only: this is the one that blocks actually either iTunes and QuickTime standalone install.
- when it get stuck on the dialog, I have gone in c:\Program files, changed ownership to "Administrators" and done a copy of the whole folder "Apple Software Update".
- let the installation procedure revert (and delete "Apple Software Update").
- renamed the copy back to "Apple Software Update"
- gone in and executed "SoftwareUpdate.exe"
- This actually detect the availability of iTunes and QuickTime
- Let it go and install
- After (actually.... meaningwhile) install, changed the ownership of all the installed folders to "administrators".

after iTunes works fine - finally I was able to turn on my new iPhone.... Fiuh I was afraid of a full windows reinstall. I do not know if now updates are checked automatically... but this is secondary at this moment! I hope Apple will patch it soon.

Ciao,
Sigismondo

Hi all,

I also experiencing same issue... i tried the above suggestion but i have problem installing the applesoftwareupdate. Could not find the applesoftwareupdate folder in my program file.

Hope anyone can help.

My Computer

Hi all,

I also experiencing the same problem.

I tried to install the newest itunes and notice the message appeared when trying to download apple software update. I also tried to install the apple software update only but the same message appear.

Really do not know what to do. Anyone can advise?

My Computer

Back