32 bit question

thechi444

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I'm planning on buying a vista32 CPU in a few days that will solely be used for Internet and gaming...but not hardcore gotta be the best gaming capabilities.

When it comes to gaming, does Vista32 bit have as many issues as 64 bit? Seeing how XP is 32 bit and games work fine on my old rig. Is that the issue here, that 64 bit is ahead of its time?

PS What do you guys think of this rig for gaming:

Systemax Venture VX2 Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate 4GB 1TB DVD±RW Combo NVIDIA 8800GT 512MB Video Intel D975XBX2 Motherboard 3 Year On-Site Warranty 989471 at TigerDirect.com
Thanks in advance!

Thanks!

My Computer

I had x32 before "upgraded" to x64. The games were installed the same way and played the same, no more or less issues, except faster with x64.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    E6850
    Motherboard
    EVGA 122-CK-NF67-A1 680i
    Memory
    4 x OCZ Platinum 1GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB
    Sound Card
    SB X-Fi X Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 23" 5MS
    Screen Resolution
    2048 x 1152
    Hard Drives
    2 x Barracuda 7200.10 320GB RAID 0 / 1 x 500GB Maxtor
    PSU
    Seasonic 600W M12
    Case
    CM Centurion 5
    Cooling
    air
    Internet Speed
    100Mbps
Hi bruce, or anyone else,

Is it noticeably faster, or just a few FPS faster?

Does Vista slow the computer down on it's own making quad processors not as fast? For example: Would a quad processor be noticeably faster if you ran it with XP?
Thanks,

Last edited:

My Computer

I believe the quad scores higher then the C2D in 3dmark06 on game last time I check on Tom's Hardware. Don't know much about the xp with quad but I know sp1 for vista is available for download now which may help in taken care of lots issues.

Yes, it is definitely noticeably faster. Well, we all know it's using all 4 gb of rams.

Objectively, 3Dmark06 from 91XX became 9334 with x64; same hardware.

Subjectively, I am playing Crysis in 1600x1024 with all advance settings on HIGH and volumetric effect on very high. On this settings the graphic in general runs smoothly except on full foliage environment that minimal legging is noticeable but not deteriorate to the point of frustration as before. It was impossible to play in these settings with x32.

However, I've not get to the end of the game yet where is most demanding. I already know it wouldn't do any good regardless; unless I spend at least another $1500 to get a some what consistent 50 fps. Lol!!!

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    E6850
    Motherboard
    EVGA 122-CK-NF67-A1 680i
    Memory
    4 x OCZ Platinum 1GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB
    Sound Card
    SB X-Fi X Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 23" 5MS
    Screen Resolution
    2048 x 1152
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Seasonic 600W M12
    Case
    CM Centurion 5
    Cooling
    air
    Internet Speed
    100Mbps
Thanks for the insight,

Funny enough, I was actually going to buy Crysis when I get the new rig. I'm also going to be running it on one geforce 8800 GT 512MB. With that said, highest settings won't be an option for me. So in your opinion, x64 is the way to go? Did you have to format your hard drive and reinstall x64, or was it more elaborate than that?

I was actually hoping that I could play Crysis at a high setting, but I guess I'll have to amp up my grafx card, get more RAM and "upgrade" to x64. Kinda makes me feel like getting a rig that's already amped up.

My Computer

Installation is rather straight forward; select "clean install" which is a must, following the prompts partition and format your HDD then click on a few more choices and you are done. There is a sticky here demonstrates the installation process clearly with pix for each step.

To insure a smooth installation, it is advisable to have all the necessary drivers and plug ins ready ahead of time. If you are using 3gb of ram or more find out the hotfix for it. That's about it.

As my opinion on the Tigerdirect unit in your PM and above in your thread starter, it looks pretty good for the price if you didn't feel like to build one your own. It will handle all the existing games fairly well.

You know, I am one of those "could have get this and that" guy. lol I am sure the PSU in there is a cheapo, it is important to have clean power. Make sure the 8800GTS is the 640mb not the 320mb; or it is a 8800GT 512mb (make sure to update the bio). Just in case you didn't know and it matters to you, the mobo is an ATIcrossfire capable not SLi.

Good luck and let us know how things going.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    E6850
    Motherboard
    EVGA 122-CK-NF67-A1 680i
    Memory
    4 x OCZ Platinum 1GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB
    Sound Card
    SB X-Fi X Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 23" 5MS
    Screen Resolution
    2048 x 1152
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Seasonic 600W M12
    Case
    CM Centurion 5
    Cooling
    air
    Internet Speed
    100Mbps
Thanks Bruce, I think I'm going to have mine built by tiger direct this weekend after I go in there to work out a blueprint tonight. This way I can get more bang for my buck and go somewhat all out on a better video card and better components. I will let you guys know how it works out...thanks again!

My Computer

Back