6 important updates as of 03.12.2010

OS - Windows Vista Hme Prem 64 bit (Srvce Pk 1)

Hello,

Below is a detailed list of 6 important updates.

Desktop PC will be one year next month. I did not renew the Microsoft Office after trial period that came as a package w/ no future intention of acquiring it. I'm using the free Open Office program - word processing mostly at this time. Is there anything in the list below that is of importance? I only have a basic PC with DVD player for movies, etc. No scanner, printer or fax. Not even external hard drive or usb flash drive

Otherwise, I understand that I can just choose to hide the updates, so it will not keep reminding me.

Also, I choose to keep my OS w/ Srvce pk 1 and MS IE version 7 for as long as I'll be able to. I had too many probs with Srvce pk 2 and MS IE version 8. Your opinion, if any, is welcome.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

NBB

PowerPoint Viewer 2007 Service Pack 2 (SP2)
Download size: 34.2 MB
Update type: Important

Service Pack 2 provides the latest updates to PowerPoint Viewer 2007.

More information:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=A208E535-C639-435D-85DD-5261D3A5F6A5&displaylang=en
Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com/?LN=en-us

Security Update for PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (KB970059)
Download size: 858 KB

A security vulnerability exists in Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer 2007 that could allow arbitrary code to run when a maliciously modified file is opened. This update resolves that vulnerability.

More information:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=141B8338-5C52-4326-A9E4-D2F2D8940D9C&displaylang=en

Help and Support:

Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 2 (SP2)
Download size: 35.5 MB

Service Pack 2 provides the latest updates to the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack.

More information:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4F97AB2F-1F7D-49A3-9123-7CA3E703B916&displaylang=en

Help and Support:

Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB951944)
Download size: 7.8 MB

A security vulnerability exists in the 2007 Microsoft Office System and the Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system that could allow remote code execution. This update resolves that vulnerability.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951944

Help and Support:

Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB969618)

Download size: 719 KB

A security vulnerability exists in Microsoft PowerPoint 2007 that could allow arbitrary code to run when a maliciously modified document is opened. This update resolves that vulnerability.

More information:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E1D3A4C3-538A-4F98-8D60-250803A80E2A&displaylang=en
Help and Support:

Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB972581)
Download size: 1.0 MB

A security vulnerability exists in the 2007 Microsoft Office System that could allow arbitrary code to run when a maliciously modified file is opened. This update resolves the vulnerability so that the 2007 Microsoft Office System documents are handled appropriately.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972581

Help and Support:

My Computer

Hi,

I would strongly recommend installing SP2 and IE8 as soon as possible. If you have any problems, we are here to help. If these updates came through before you uninstalled Office, then that is why. If Office is still installed, then you need these updates. Uninstall Office if you are going to, recheck for updates, and install any that are suggested. Any problems, post back.

Richard

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.50GHz
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 3870 (512 MBytes)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 x Dell 2007FP and 1 x (old) Sonic flat screen
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 1200 and 1280 x 1204
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)
    Western Digital: WDC WD6400AAKS-75A7B0

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    Western Digital: Caviar Black, SATA 6GB/S, 64Mb cache, 8ms
    Western Digital: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 ATA Device
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Advent Optical ADE-WG01 (colour change light up)
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
    ASUS USB 3.0 5Gbps/SATA 6Gbps - PCI-Express Combo Controller Card (U3S6)
As a further suggestion, select that all future updates be installed by you When you do the install, select only one or two at a time. Many members, who chose to install automatically, ran into problems after the install and to make matters worse they did not know which upadate caused the problem.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Hi,

I would strongly recommend installing SP2 and IE8 as soon as possible. If you have any problems, we are here to help. If these updates came through before you uninstalled Office, then that is why. If Office is still installed, then you need these updates. Uninstall Office if you are going to, recheck for updates, and install any that are suggested. Any problems, post back.

Richard

Thank you!

IE8 - Is there any difference between upgrading to yahoo IE8 directly and the IE8 thru Windows? This is the reason I went back to IE7. I'm having problems with yahoo: Toolbar now called yahoo apps, Yahoo groups menu not rolling down all my yahoo groups list to click on. Will you be able to help me on these?

If after trying it again and probs exist, will I be able to go back to IE7? And if I remember right, that would be possible thru Vista restore point right?

SP2 - Do I have to wait for this to show up in my Windows Update list as an important update? The last time my PC tech support tried to assist me, as I watched via live remote assistance, he could not find that Windows Vista 64bit Service Pack 2 update thru Windows site to download.

As mentioned before, I'm using the Open Office 3.2 since my Microsoft Office Home and Student 60 day trial (which came with my PC originally) expired. Can I go ahead and uninstall it, so I'm not bothered with Microsoft Office 2007 updates?

What about Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (English), do I need this if I dont have MS Office 2007? Again, this is in relation to the MS Office PowerPoint Viewer future updates

Thank you for your assistance.

My Computer

Hi,

Richard

Thank you!

IE8 - Is there any difference between upgrading to yahoo IE8 directly and the IE8 thru Windows? This is the reason I went back to IE7. I'm having problems with yahoo: Toolbar now called yahoo apps, Yahoo groups menu not rolling down all my yahoo groups list to click on. Will you be able to help me on these?

If after trying it again and probs exist, will I be able to go back to IE7? And if I remember right, that would be possible thru Vista restore point right?

SP2 - Do I have to wait for this to show up in my Windows Update list as an important update? The last time my PC tech support tried to assist me, as I watched via live remote assistance, he could not find that Windows Vista 64bit Service Pack 2 update thru Windows site to download.

As mentioned before, I'm using the Open Office 3.2 since my Microsoft Office Home and Student 60 day trial (which came with my PC originally) expired. Can I go ahead and uninstall it, so I'm not bothered with Microsoft Office 2007 updates?

What about Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (English), do I need this if I dont have MS Office 2007? Again, this is in relation to the MS Office PowerPoint Viewer future updates

I would suggest you get IE8 from here:
Windows Internet Explorer 8: Download the latest Windows web browser
and get Vista SP2 from here:
Download details: Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 and Windows Vista Service Pack 2 - Five Language Standalone (KB948465)
you don't need to wait for the SP2 to appear in WU, yes you can uninstall the Microsoft Office 2007 free trial if you don't need it from Programs(Add/Remove). HTH.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Biostar
    CPU
    AMD Athlonx64 Dual Core 3800+ 2.0GHz
    Motherboard
    Biostar MCP6P-M2
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
    Monitor(s) Displays
    CIBOX
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi 160GB
As a further suggestion, select that all future updates be installed by you When you do the install, select only one or two at a time. Many members, who chose to install automatically, ran into problems after the install and to make matters worse they did not know which upadate caused the problem.

Thank you! Yes, my WU is configured manually so I can manage better. But thanx for the heads up on problems I may ran into with auto updates/install.

My Computer

Hi,

Richard

Thank you!

I would suggest you get IE8 from here:
Download details: Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 and Windows Vista Service Pack 2 - Five Language Standalone (KB948465)
you don't need to wait for the SP2 to appear in WU, yes you can uninstall the Microsoft Office 2007 free trial if you don't need it from Programs(Add/Remove). HTH.

Thank you! Brummyfan for your immediate reply and support. . . and the link sources for quick access.

NBB

My Computer

You are welcome and Thanks for the +rep.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Biostar
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Biostar MCP6P-M2
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
    Monitor(s) Displays
    CIBOX
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi 160GB
From brummyfan:

" I would suggest you get IE8 from here:
you don't need to wait for the SP2 to appear in WU, yes you can uninstall the Microsoft Office 2007 free trial if you don't need it from Programs(Add/Remove). HTH. "

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - -
04.12.2010 - 11:00 pm EST

Hello,

I finally had time to download WinVista SP2 from above link which took 15 minutes. Kindly verify for the correct link source again, because it cant be installed. Message: " 32 bit SP2 cant be installed" in a 64 bit. Get Sp2 64 bit" .

I purposely created my Vista Forum ID as VstaHmePrem64b as this is what I have and to facilitate ease in tech support assistance.

Your further help will be appreciated. Thank you - NBB

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Biostar
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Biostar MCP6P-M2
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
    Monitor(s) Displays
    CIBOX
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi 160GB
No problems. I have done this to someone else once.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
[FONT=Monotype Corsiva, cursive]Thank you very much Richard. The SP2 update went well! 20 minutes total to download and 3 stages of installments @ 5 minutes each = 40 minutes total restarts in between included.[/FONT]

[FONT=Monotype Corsiva, cursive][FONT=Wingdings 2, serif]h[/FONT] NBB [FONT=Wingdings 2, serif]g[/FONT][/FONT]

My Computer

Hello,

Glad SP2 went well. You have a much faster internet connection than I do: "20 minutes total to download". It takes me 1h10 in our valley! Is this all solved now or are we done here?

Richard

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
[FONT=Monotype Corsiva, cursive]I'm here in USA, and I have Broadband - DSL thru our phone company called Verizon. I'm not familiar with UK's internet service providership. I guess one can describe such experience as a slow internet access at that time or what we call here a dial-up internet access.
[FONT=Monotype Corsiva, cursive][/FONT]
[FONT=Monotype Corsiva, cursive] [/FONT][FONT=Monotype Corsiva, cursive]Yes, I guess we can "close" this case now. [/FONT]
[FONT=Monotype Corsiva, cursive][/FONT]
[FONT=Monotype Corsiva, cursive]Thank you Richard, [/FONT]

[FONT=Monotype Corsiva, cursive][FONT=Wingdings 2, serif]h[/FONT] neiani [FONT=Wingdings 2, serif]g[/FONT][/FONT]

[/FONT]

My Computer

In theory I am on broadband, but at the bottom
of my valley, we never get very fast.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
Back