Processor = AMD Phenom 9500 Quad Core
Motherboard = Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
Power Supply = Antec TruPower Trio 430
RAM = OCZ 4GB PC6400 SLI-Ready Edition Dual Channel DDR2
Video Card = eVGA GeForce 8800GT w/512MB
Sound Card = AC’97 onboard sound
Display = Dell FP2001 20.1” UXGA LCD
Hard Drive = Seagate SATA 300GB w/16MB buffer
Optical = LG DVD-RAM (16x +/-R 10x –RAM)
Removable = Generic 7-1 Media Reader
Webcam = Microsoft VI-6000

When I play Dundeons & Dragons Online my framerate varies between 20-60 in populated places and 100+ only if I stare at the walls. This seems too low. I was getting better framerates running XP on a AMD 3800+ x2 with a 7600GS.

I've tried the nVidia 169.25 drives and the 171.20 betas from guru. Not much difference.

Is this a Vista 64 problem that will be fixed with SP!?..... or
Is this an nVidia driver problem that will be fixed with later drivers.......or
Is my power supply too weak?.......... or
Is DDO the problem?.......... or
Are my expectations too high?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-Brad Dunlap

Last edited:

My Computer

I just built a new system with Vista64 Ultimate. Here are the specs:

Webcam = Microsoft VI-6000[/font]

When I play Dundeons & Dragons Online my framerate varies between 20-60 in populated places and 100+ only if I stare at the walls. This seems too low. I was getting better framerates running XP on a AMD 3800+ x2 with a 7600GS.

I've tried the nVidia 169.25 drives and the 171.20 betas from guru. Not much difference.

-Brad Dunlap

Welcome to the forums Brad!

60 FPS with an 8800 GT is good, especially in DDO (I have both myself). 20 seems a little low, can't say why, it could be a combination of factors which are causing this. It sounds like you've got the latest drivers. Maybe rolling back the driver may have some impact if the latest ones are not performing well.

You can download the 163 driver here: ForceWare Release 163

I wish I could give you a magic bullet to fix things. You might also try adjusting the settings within DDO itself.

Let us know how things work out for you.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Q6600 Quad Core 2.4 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 X 1 GB DDR2 Kingston 800 Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 8800 GT 512 MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Dell 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    3360x1050
    Hard Drives
    320 GB Internal Main
    500 GB USB External
    160 GB USB External
    2TB USB External
    Internet Speed
    DSL 3MB
Vista sucks up a lot more graphical resources than XP, thats why you are experiencing such a low frame rate.

I play Company of Heroes (a very demanding game) in XP with all settings on full. I get (on average) about 60FPS. But in Vista? I get around 30. At best :)

My Computer

Joe,

I didn't try the 163 drives because they pre-date the 8800GT. Support for the 8800GT was added in the 169 drivers (and the 169 betas leading up to it). I guess I could try it, but I don't have high expectations.

NiTaS,

I realize Vista doesn't perform as well as XP. What I'm hoping to do is figure out why. If it's Vista's fault then it should be addressed in SP1 (I hope). If it's nVidia's fault, it should be addressed in a new driver update. If it's my fault (for the choice of components or configuration) I'd like to know.

Both,

Thanks for the helpful suggsestions. Both your comments are well recieved. Overall I'm happy with Vista64. I just want DDO to play like it did when I was running XP on a lesser machine. I am hoping there is something I can do other than wait for SP1 or driver updates? (or roll back to XP).

-Brad Dunlap

My Computer

viking my advice is try a powerful power suply at least 550w cuz u got alot of devices that need power ... try it if u got the chance i know alot of ppl that had the same pb ... the devices they bought with high frequencies needs a lot of power to work at full capacity...

I just built a new system with Vista64 Ultimate. Here are the specs:

Webcam = Microsoft VI-6000

-Brad Dunlap

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Core2 Duo E6550 2.33 GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus P5K SE
    Memory
    4x1 gb ddr 800mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8800 GTS
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1x21"/1x19"
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024x100Hz
    Hard Drives
    Maxtor SCSI 250 gb
    Maxtor SATA II 320 gb
    Mouse
    Saitek GM3200
    Internet Speed
    avg 9mb/s
DDO Frame Rate w/ 7900 GT KOs SLI

I have somewhat different set up, but very much the same problem. I went from a stable XP with pretty good frame rates to Vista with very bad frame rates. I was successfully using XP w/ the 7900s together in SLI with no problems.

Per other forum I was told to use only one card not both with SLI. When I use both in Vista the performance is sub par to bad. I did switch to one card and the frame rates improved, but not to the point where they were in XP. Also I should be able to use SLI anyway.

I have all the latest drivers. The reason why I went to Vista from stable system is to iron out the fluidity in DDO among other things with a total of 6gb RAM from 2gb and 3.0ghz AMD dual core cpu from 2.0ghz AMD dual core.

As you can see I should be getting better not worse. Also my first post on the forums.

Basically new advice and an update on how things worked out from the poster would be great. Thank you!

My Computer

Here is an update (of sorts):

I'm still not happy with my framerates in DDO. I upgraded my power supply to a 800 watt modular unit but it did not help. Aparantly my Antec Neo 430 was good enough. I also upgraded my HHD to the new WD Velociraptor. That did speed up my system, but not my frame rates. I also switched to another internet provider. That helped a little bit but not much. I had a small improvement with SP1 but it's still not where I want to be.

My big frustration is that my girlfriend's computer, that is right next to mine (we live together) is a lesser machine (AMD x2 4800+/GeForce 8600GT) but it gets better frame rates over the same internet connection. The only difference I can find is that her machine runs Vista 32-bit instead of 64-bit.

My opinion is that Vista 32-bit (SP1) produces comprable frame rates as XP (SP3), or at least within a few percent. Vista-64 seems to produce 20% less in a faster machine. At least in DDO. I'm hoping the gap narrows with the inclusion of DirectX 10 in the next DDO module but I kinda doubt it. I think running a 32 bit game on a 64 bit computer is the culprit. I haven't decided if I'm going to re-install the 32-bit version or just live with the frame rates I have.

I hope that helped,

-Brad Dunlap

My Computer

Yes that helps and depresses lol. Well I haven't gotten everything installed yet to the point I can fool around with my video card set up and really get a feel for what is right/wrong and if my SLI is functioning correctly at the very least. In my case I suspect I may have a malfunctioning dvd drive that may be causing some stability or speed issues. That is just one thing though.

I have very good CPU, RAM & twin video cards while not top of the line anymore are still pretty powerful paired together (7900 GT KOs) and worked well on XP. I assume you are as frustrated as I am. Maybe more so in your case since you've had the displeasure of a side by side comparison and had more time to fool with it.

I'll keep you posted. I didn't record any statistics from my previous setup, but it doesn't take a tech to figure out if your fps has gotten worse. I'll keep you posted. Also my character name is Preamus Shadowmist on Khyber server.

My Computer

no, no, no thats wrong.

first off whoever told you to upgrade your PSU was wrong.. that 430 was not a lot. but it was plenty for what you had.. but hey, now you have an 800. so if you ever get a new card this year or next. you can handle it's High power usage. like a GTX series.

Also I used to have an old 8800GTS the old edition G80. I got great frame rates with that thing. I've not played that exact game your talking about, but still. the only game I played that got under 60 fps with my 8800 GTS was Crysis, so I'm assuming yours should do the same. Something's not right and you should be able to fix it.

I looked up DDO 8800GT FPS on google. and I found a few places people were talking about performance in that game. people with 8600GT's and with 7900GT's they were getting 60-80 and such fps. and for the fact that you have a Quad core you should be fine.

I know the 169.25 drivers were one of the best for my 8800 GTS. that was just me though. The latest actual Drivers for your Card from Nvidia is the 175.19 drivers. I'd give those a try, as they should be a good increase in performance over older ones.

GeForce Release 175
those are for 64bit Vista

and my other thought was heat. How hot is your case, and more importantly your Card getting? I know those 8800GT's have tiny fans, they spin fast and loud. but stock they run around 20-30 percent. I'd download a program called Rivatuner, and Manually Turn the fan up to about 60% or more when playing DDO, because heat is very much a enemy if performance.. So make sure your card, and your case are staying at decent temps.

good Luck!

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q9650 E0 4.0 GHz @1.304v
    Motherboard
    eVGA 750i FTW
    Memory
    2x2GB Corsair Dominator PC2-8500C5D
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA/MSI GTX 260 SLI
    Sound Card
    X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung T240 & 226BW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200 & 1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Seagate Cuda 500GB 32mb Cache SATA 7200.(11) + 500GB Seagate Cuda External eSATA, USB, FW400
    PSU
    PC P&C 750w Silencer PSU
    Case
    CoolerMaster HAF 932 (Water-Cooled)
    Cooling
    Plenty of Fans, and a few 230mm Fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech G11
    Mouse
    Logitech MX-518
    Other Info
    ASUS 20x Optical, Bose Companion 3, ATH-AD500 Cans :), Patriot Xporter 16GB Flash Drive (Very Fast), & Sandisk Micro 8GB.

Nikon D40 DSLR with 18-105mm VR & 55-200mm VR
Thank you very much for the reply.

Heck yeah my 7900s were ultra hot. I think I didn't notice with my 1st one until I got my 2nd and then wondered why my games seemed to slow down on me then I checked the temps and YIKES! I bought 2 pretty decent heat sinks that do a great job so in my case the heat is most likely not an issue. I have the latest driver so that also is taken care of. I unplugged the dvd drive that we thought might give a problem. I really can't say what the prob is yet because I just haven't had enough time to troubleshoot as of yet. I am still moving files over and installing stuff since I just installed Vista and I work yuck. I did run memtest since I installed memory as part of upgrade and found a lot of errors in one test and a few in another and long story short any error = bad. So my next mission is seeing if I can isolate what is causing the errors ie. bad sticks, config probs, components etc. We'll see where that leads. Aside from my initial forays into DDO with new setup I really have not tested cards and fps out. No 3dmark etc.

I never thought it was not possible to get the fps and speed I am looking for just knew I should have it. I was doing good before the upgrade and naturally expected to do better. Getting my cards to run smoothly in SLI on XP was a lengthy process so I imagine after messing around with this for a long time I'll get it together.

My Computer

yup, it all takes time to get right.. thats what I love about computers. it's the fun in it, thats what's boring about xbox. it's just there. :):)

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q9650 E0 4.0 GHz @1.304v
    Motherboard
    eVGA 750i FTW
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA/MSI GTX 260 SLI
    Sound Card
    X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung T240 & 226BW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200 & 1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Seagate Cuda 500GB 32mb Cache SATA 7200.(11) + 500GB Seagate Cuda External eSATA, USB, FW400
    PSU
    PC P&C 750w Silencer PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech G11
    Mouse
    Logitech MX-518
    Other Info
    ASUS 20x Optical, Bose Companion 3, ATH-AD500 Cans :), Patriot Xporter 16GB Flash Drive (Very Fast), & Sandisk Micro 8GB.

Just an update. Things are a bit smoother, but still not as fast as it used to be on XP, but again has a more fluid feel to it. The reason the person posted this thread and I hopped on is specifically on DDO. It is not like other FPS games. Fun game and I love it, but kind of the ghetto programming out of the mmorpgs hehe. I know some people are able to play it and have great results with vista, but I don't see too many with 64 and more importantly anyone running SLI.

I may have seen a post about a pair of 8800s on it with success, but I don't know for sure. I know none of my friends have a pair running on DDO.

My main thing is wanting to know how to take advantage of the significant amount of hardware power I put in and have it translate to the game as it should. I won't go into the plethora of driver issues, visits to blue screens of death, 10 year long installations and spinning vista wheel (I hate that little circle now lol). Windows Media Center that no matter what you do to it, it goes away until something goes wrong and it's back somehow. I digress. Any further input with regard to experience with SLI and DDO or even more people running SLI with suggestions. I think having DDO, Vista 64 & SLI just adds up to trouble. I think it can be done though. I hope =(

My Computer

My latest thing was taking off Vista 64 and putting on XP 64. It was a big improvement, but not as good as XP 32 bit. I am beginning to wonder if I should go the route of the above poster who suggested Vista 32 is nearly the same as XP 32 in this regard. If I do that what should I do with my 6GB RAM? I understand with the 32 bit I won't get use of anything beyond 4 and per some reading elsewhere not even 4. I have mine broken down to 4 sticks, 2 1GB sticks and 2 2GB sticks for 6. Is it safe to leave 6 in whether or not Vista can use it? Or should I take out the 2GB and leave 4?

Also any suggestions on whether going from XP 64 to Vista 32 is a good plan?

My Computer

My latest thing was taking off Vista 64 and putting on XP 64. It was a big improvement, but not as good as XP 32 bit. I am beginning to wonder if I should go the route of the above poster who suggested Vista 32 is nearly the same as XP 32 in this regard. If I do that what should I do with my 6GB RAM? I understand with the 32 bit I won't get use of anything beyond 4 and per some reading elsewhere not even 4. I have mine broken down to 4 sticks, 2 1GB sticks and 2 2GB sticks for 6. Is it safe to leave 6 in whether or not Vista can use it? Or should I take out the 2GB and leave 4?

Also any suggestions on whether going from XP 64 to Vista 32 is a good plan?

Hi in my book, one should only use identical type memory sticks i.e. exact same capacity and exact same model and make. Frankly I am not surprized you would be having problems, I would take out the two 1GB RAM sticks and leave in the two 2GB RAM sticks provided they are identical and see how your 64 bit system operates then. If you go to a Windows 32 bit system, the theoritical max is something over 3 Gigabytes but that can get worse since whilst one would think that one's graphic card memory is completly seperate to the RAM sticks, the Graphic card actually reserves the same amount of memory as it carries onboard in the RAM sticks so if e.g. one has two graphic cards with 500 megabytes a piece onboard it actually reserves one Gigabyte in the RAM Sticks. SLI and Crossfire is a minefield and the only way one knows what performance one can expect from an SLI or Crossfire set up, is if you know somebody who allready has it and gets good results and you get the exact same operating system, exact same motherboard, exact same GPUs and exact same games, etc, etc anything else is the just pot luck.

see the the threads

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-news/99613-64-bit-more-than-just-ram.html

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-news/166955-more-memory-better.html

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    self build desktop PC
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 4800 dual core Toledo 2.4 gigahertz
    Motherboard
    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    Memory
    4 x 1 Gigabyte sticks
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gainward 7600GT Golden Sample factory overclocked
    Sound Card
    Realtek onboard sound AC-97
    Monitor(s) Displays
    View Sonic G90B 19 inch CRT [ 17.7 visible ]
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HDT725032VLA36 quantity 4
    Case
    Cooler Master Stacker
    Cooling
    Thematalke Big Typhoon air cooling
    Keyboard
    Mitsumi
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intelli mouse optical tracking
    Internet Speed
    3.6 Mbps HSDPA
While you are probably right about having the same size sticks, my tech friend has done this with countless computers with no problems. In my case I have discovered that the computer recognizes that there are 6gb in the machine, but only 5gb are usable. I am going to take out RAM until I find which stick is bad. That may or may not be the root of the problem. I have several programs to test performance so I can compare that to others with my specs and see how it stacks up. One thing at a time. I will definitely consider taking out the 2gb RAM if I don't make progress.

My Computer

if you go down to 32bit. don't leave all 6 in. No reason you should make the Motherboard work extra hard to use and power, and pass through the extra GB that are not being used. I'd just leave the 2x2 sticks in there and run that.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q9650 E0 4.0 GHz @1.304v
    Motherboard
    eVGA 750i FTW
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA/MSI GTX 260 SLI
    Sound Card
    X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung T240 & 226BW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200 & 1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    PC P&C 750w Silencer PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech G11
    Mouse
    Logitech MX-518
    Other Info

Back