A persistent "60 sec lag spike" problem

seia

I've been happily playing WoW and chatting on IRC with this Acer TravelMate laptop of mine, until I moved to my new place 6 weeks ago. Then I started to have these lag spikes. My efforts in fixing it have lead me to understand that it is the notorious "60 second lag spike" problem. This knowledge hasn't lead me to a solution yet, however.

So please, once more with a feeling, how do I get rid of it?

Ok, I could even answer this myself this way now: disable the WLAN Autoconfig.

But I am not using the WLAN connection! My modem doesn't have WLAN. Sure, the laptop itself supports it but I've had the WLAN adapter disabled. I've gone as far as uninstalling the WLAN adapter drivers, and while doing so I've chosen to tick the box "remove files" as well. (And I'm pretty sure next time I boot, the adapter will be installed again anyway.) So there is no wireless interface to disable. And therefore the wlan optimizer .NET program won't help either. I couldn't use it even if I wanted because it will show the connection as disabled. (Tried, and big surprise.)

I even tried enabling the WLAN connection just that I could disable the autoconfig. Seemed successfull in the sense that I got a message that it was now disabled. But the lag spikes kept coming...

Is my laptop cursed or something?

My Computer

Back