A required CD/DVD drive device driver...

Windowsguy

To say I am a bit of a 'noob' would be an understatement. My wife has a HP Pavilion dv9500, running Vista Home Premium. Her CD-drive stopped working and I researched the problem to find a fix. I read in forums I could delete registry files, and I did, but they were the wrong ones. So, her laptop shut down and would not boot past the initial startup screen. :mad:

I removed the HDD to see if everything was wiped off the HD, and it was. So, I decided to reinstall Vista, only to find out I did not have the recovery disk. I made a bootable USB drive and tried loading a fresh install of Vista that way, but I keep getting the following message, after hitting "install now":

"A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.

Note: If the Windows installation media is in the CD/DVD drive, you can safely remove it for this step."

So, I downloaded drivers for both the dv9500 and the dv9628nr, because both are on the bottom sticker. However, none of the drivers would show up as compatible, or show up at all, actually. What am I doing wrong?! :sarc:

Also, it is worth mentioning that I purchased Windows 7 Home Premium, because I plan on installing it after I get the current problem fixed. The cd-drive lights up and sounds like it is spinning, but it doesn't show up when hitting F9...

My Computer

Have you got a restore disc?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Advent
    CPU
    2.4Ghz Quad-core P4
    Motherboard
    Foxconn
    Memory
    512GB of Ram
    Graphics Card(s)
    256MB X1200 On-board Graphics
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" TFT Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1400x900
    Hard Drives
    500GB WD
    Keyboard
    Saitek Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
    Mouse
    Above
    Internet Speed
    Internet connection via mobile phone (Three)
Back