Access Denied

Blueflamman

Hi, I am running Vista 64 Ultimate on my home PC and Laptop and have just installed a wireless router for internet access and everything works great. Then I decided to network my hard drives so I can access files from my PC wirelessly to my laptop. Everything looks ok and I can access files from my laptop via my PC, however when I try and access file on my PC via the laptop I get an access Denied message.
I have been looking at forums for the past few hours but I can’t find anyone who has overcome the same problem. If I enable the public folder on my PC I can access that via the laptop with no problems however, every time I try to access my hard drive I get the “Access denied” message. I have enabled the share this folder option but still no luck!
I read something about file/ hard drives being created by XP may cause problems when upgrading to vista but I think that was a bit over my head!!!
Any help would be great.

My Computer

It's most likely because you'll have password proteted mode sharing enabled. If you right-click on the networking icon in the system tray, and open network and sharing center, you can see which options are configured. Chances are you'll need to create a new user and give them access to the shared folder. If that doesn't help I can give you a more detailed walkthrough when I'm back on my Vista box.

My Computer

I couldn't find any easy way to enable anonymous sharing on Vista. Easiest thing you can do is create an account on computer where shares are with the same username as in use on computer accessing the shares and a blank password. Then it should authenticate without user having to do anything.

I know this works with a password, you can try it without one.:confused:

My Computer

Back