Advent 5421 visa basic recovery disc

angiesluck

Has anyone else had any problems with the recovery installation disc for this computer as I am sure there is a permanent fault with them.....because I keep getting error message Failed to apply VISTA.WIM half way through it trying to install. This is my second set of disc off PC WORLD ....I am starting to wonder whether they have done it on purpose to get us to have to go and pay them to fix it...

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    advent 5421
If 2 sets of disks aren't working, I'd have to wonder if there's a problem with your system (either the CD/DVD drive - or with your hard drive). Please try these free tests:
H/W Diagnostics:
Please start by running these bootable hardware diagnostics:
Memory Diagnostics (read the details at the link)
HD Diagnostic (read the details at the link)

Also, please run one of these free, independent online malware scans to ensure that your current protection hasn't been compromised: Free Online AntiMalware Resources (read the details at the link)

My Computer

I have put in another hard drive from a working laptop of the same and that works fine in my laptop so I know the laptop itself is fine. I am sure its something to do with the wim file that is missing on these disc. Would I be able to take an imagex copy of the working laptop and then burn it to disc and then use that disc to install the image to the laptop that will not download the vista installation? maybe that will work but I not a computer wiz so not sure if or how to go about it...any ideas

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    advent 5421
Yes you can image the hard drive and place the image on another hard drive.
I wonder about errors from the bad hard drive - but Windows may be able to "fix" itself when it boots.
As for how - you'll have to read the documentation that comes with the imaging software. I use Acronis True Image and it's very easy to understand.

My Computer

can I install windows vista via safe mode? and if so will it install everything of windows or would I need to do something else then to get it up and running

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    advent 5421
With most systems you have to boot from the installation DVD to install Windows.
The only time you can install Windows from within Windows (unsure if it works in Safe Mode) is if you're doing a repair install or an upgrade install. In other words, Windows has to be installed already.

My Computer

I tried to install in safe mode which it says it has but when it reboots it still not done it.

I have put my husbands working hard drive out of his computer as its the same computer as mine and it works fine, so surely that shows that my laptop hardware is working fine so why will it not load the windows vista in normal mode....fed up of that failed to appy wim error....

looks like if no one can come up with a solution I will have no choice but to take it into PC World and let them get it back running....I am sure it must be the disc that have a fault (either intentionally!!) or a batch of faulty ones

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    advent 5421
If your husband's hard drive works and yours doesn't - the only difference is the hard drive. Therefore - your problem must be with your hard drive.

I'd suggest either running a hard drive diagnostic on your hard drive (as I asked for above) - or replacing the hard drive with a new one (don't buy one on my say-so, run the diagnostic test first).

My Computer

I have a memory diagnostic cd which I did run to check for hardware problems on laptop but that came back fine plus the harddrive I have in at the moment is a new hard drive...I partitioned it and if I go to command prompt and do diskpart it shows its there and on volume it shows it with a letter assigned and healthy so now I am lost once again :-)

Also, on diskpart (volume) it shows the letter assigned: E
then under label: Vista
then Fs: NTFS
then Type: Partitioned
then Status: Healthy
then Size: 287gb

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    advent 5421
If you have the new hard drive in, then you place the Vista installation DVD in the DVD drive, then reboot the computer. You may have to press a key (like you probably did with the memory test) in order to boot from the DVD. Here's a link to a guide on installing Vista (it may not apply exactly to your system, but will help should you get stuck somewhere during the installation): http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/68767-clean-install-upgrade-vista.html

I would still recommend running the Hard Drive diagnostic that I listed above - as there's no telling if a hard drive is bad straight out of the box (it has happened to me at work).

The Vista DVD will partition and format the drive for you, then it'll install Windows. I am not familiar with Advent computers, but that is the way that it works with most other systems (either it puts an image on your hard drive, or it installs Windows in a more traditional manner).

My Computer

well when I put the disc in I hear it boot from disk and nothing asks to press a key it just goes straight to tech guys screen which lists repair, advanced, restart, install.....when I click install it list to do a full destructive install which is the only option and even thou I know there is nothing on the hard drive cos its new thats the only way i get to install.... maybe there is something i need to do then to get the press the key question up any ideas!!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    advent 5421
just checked the Bios but I cannot see where it says in your link :NOTE: Make sure that the CD/DVD drive is selected first in the boot order in the BIOS.
I have it listed as this

Boot priority order:
1. USB KEY:
2. USB FDC:
3. USB HDD:
4. IDE CD: TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L632H-(
5. IDE HDD: SAMSUNG HM321HI-(S1)
6. PCI SCSI:
7. PCI BEV:
Excluded from boot order:
:USB CDROM
:Other USB:

Also under Boot menu it first states:

LAN Remote Boot: (Disabled)

>Boot Device Priority

then it details as above when I click on boot device priority

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    advent 5421
The IDE CD is listed before the IDE HDD - which is what you want in order to boot from the CD/DVD.

What happens when you tell it to do the full destructive install?
That should install Vista on the new hard drive.

My Computer

well it goes to stage 1. Preparing hard disk drive then it goes to stage 2. Copy files but part way through stage 3. Installing windows vista it stops and comes up with a message saying Failed to Apply Vista WIM

I tried installing in safe mode which it does it completely but then when I restart it the installation obviously hasnt taken place as it say error....

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    advent 5421
I'm sending you a PM....

That WIM error (after the destructive install) is either a hardware problem with your system (not likely because you tested with your husband's hard drive) or an issue with the disk.

Have you tried to make an image of your old hard drive?
Were you able to apply it to your new hard drive?

My Computer

I just had an idea!
Can you put your new hard drive in your husband's computer and then try to install Vista there?

If it works, then we'll have to blame your CD/DVD drive (rather than the DVD).
And you'll be able to swap the new drive back into your system and it should work from there.

PS - make sure the disk is clean and free of smudges.

Good luck!

My Computer

My old hard drive does not seem to work (well thats what I thought at time)...hence me getting another as my old one came up as saying no operating system and on the diskpart it listed no GB of any sort... but I was wondering about doing an image of my husbands but I dont understand these sites that try to explain how its done.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    advent 5421
Yep lol...I have already tried that and the same error message appeared on that too..which is why they sent me another set of discs but these are doing the same....hence me saying I think its either done on purpose or a bad batch made

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    advent 5421
A bad batch of CD/DVD's is definitely possible, but so is a bad CD/DVD drive.

I'd suggest trying to install Windows onto your new hard drive in your husband's system. That way you won't have to mess with the imaging (and can always image it later if the installation doesn't work).

I would next try imaging your husband's system - but beware that you may run into issues with the validation of the OS. The "fix" is a phone call to Microsoft and then read off the product key on the bottom of the laptop (there will be an option to change the product key - that's what you'll have to use).

My Computer

Back