Another sleep mode problem

rmadisonwi

I've found a few issues regarding sleep mode, but none that seemed to directly address my problem, so here goes:

In the last two weeks or so, I've noticed that when I close my laptop's lid, the computer doesn't go into sleep mode, but instead hangs with a blank screen, and is completely unresponsive when I try to wake it up. The only way to fix it is to hold the power button to get it to shut off. However, this only seems to happen when my wireless network card (internal) is switched OFF. Even then, it doesn't happen all the time (i.e. sometimes it successfully goes to sleep, and wakes up again when I open the lid). It hasn't been a problem at all when the network card is on.

This started happening in late April, when two things happened (and they both happened at about the same time). First was that Windows Update automatically downloaded and installed a hotfix (946776) related to the computer crashing when the network status is changing. For what it's worth, I had never experienced the problem that the hotfix was supposed to correct.

The other thing that happened was that I uninstalled McAfee and installed ZoneAlarm antivirus and firewall.

I haven't been able to reproduce the problem 100% of the time, so I haven't figured out what sequence of programs running causes the problem (though it seems that iTunes and/or Windows Media Player is usually running when it happens).

The first thing I tried was to use system restore and went back to before I installed zonealarm and the update. When I reinstalled ZA, Windows Update decided it was going to hurry up and download the hotfix before I had a chance to tell it not to. I uninstalled the hotfix (though it still shows up on the update history page, but not the list of installed updates), and the problem still occurred.

I don't know if the problem is ZoneAlarm or something else. I looked over the sleep mode tutorial, but there doesn't seem to be anything that I hadn't already looked at previously.

Any ideas? Should I dump ZoneAlarm and go back to McAfee? Since my McAfee subscription expired, I'd only want to do that if ZoneAlarm is really the problem. If there's a fix available that allows ZA to still work, then that would be preferred.

My Computer

Try updating the BIOS and all drivers you can think of: NIC, audio, video, anti-virus, non-Windows firewall... anything that includes a driver.

These types of symptoms are almost impossible for an app to cause, but they're frequently caused by drivers which don't handle power state transitions the way they should.

My Computer

Okay. I updated the BIOS and video driver (not sure what you mean by anti-virus drivers...maybe you mean definitions?). It looked like everything else was up-to-date.

So...now we'll see if I get this problem again. As I noted earlier, I haven't yet identified the common thread among these hang-ups other than the wireless card being switched off, so it might be a day or two before I even can tell if it's working.

Well, it seems that the updated drivers I installed didn't fix the problem, as it still froze when I put it to sleep last night.

I think my next step will be to uninstall ZoneAlarm and install a free anti-virus program for a few days and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then I'll have probably found my culprit.

My Computer

One possible promising update for me is that I went into the device manager, and uninstalled my wireless card, then reset the computer. Not sure why I didn't think of that earlier.

I'll update in a couple of days if I don't experience any problems.

My Computer

It seems that ZoneAlarm was the problem after all. Uninstalling the wireless card seemed to work initially, but then it went back to causing problems.

I uninstalled ZoneAlarm two days ago, and haven't experienced a hang on shutdown/sleep mode since. So, I guess it's back to McAfee for me.

My Computer

Back