Solved Any known problems with recent IE8 Update?

FCUSA

Well - lost that post?! Let's try again,

I am having trouble with my web site templates and tech support thinks it may be a problem with a recent IE8 update. Does anyone know about a recent update issue (at this point is wouldn't be so recent - Back to early/mid November. However I haven't had any problems other than this.

They are suggesting another browser (I have Chrome and it also is acting different on their pages). So they are fond of Firefox and I plan to download. Anything I should be aware of when downloading? Any issues with recent versions?

I'm checking here (mostly to validate them) - they have actually done a system upgrade...you know where I am going with that. Although I could see that they were on my site last night and tell me all functions are working (I am assuming they are using Firefox).

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Studio XPS 1640
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 (2.4GHz/1066Mhz FSB/3M L2 Cache)
    Memory
    4GB
Welcome
Try this
Go to tools
internet options
advanced
reset

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
I did see that in another post - would reset correct an isolated problem? Not doubting you - just wondering what settings (I had) would need to be redone.

My personal opinion is it is an issue on their end (as they did an update sometime last month - maybe a little longer and I just haven't accessed this part of the site in some time. I do know their preferred browser is Firefox - I just have never used it but am willing to give it a try.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Studio XPS 1640
    CPU
    Memory
    4GB
I can only help with what I know and that is there is a conflict/problem and it MIGHT be with the addons
You can download another broswer and still use IE as your default, if you do not like it or even unistall.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Hi FCUSA,

Good to see you again (though I wish it weren't for a problem).

To my knowledge, there are no issues with installing Firefox as well as the others and many people download, install, and use it - quite a few as their default (though I use only Internet Explorer myself except when testing or troubleshooting and have all three for those reasons). I recommend you keep IE as your default browser (when the installation asks if you want to change the default) until and unless you decide to switch to Firefox. You may need to update the browser before you use it (in fact, that's very likely if not certain).

Still, if your web site (or at least these pages) only work with Firefox and not with IE or Chrome, then that may be a problem if those are pages that you allow the public to access. You don't want only people using Firefox to see them properly. If they are, please provide the link to the pages with problems so we can see if we have the same issues (if private, of course do not post them or anything about how to access them). I'd consider it also a website design/coding problem if they don't work with your preferred browser - and I wouldn't accept that the problem is with the browser as the website SHOULD work with the most current and updated major browsers.

I tend to agree that the changes they made probably were not coded to work with all browsers but just with whatever they were using (assuming they did the job properly to begin with if you never checked until now). By trying Firefox, you may get a clue if they work fine with that browser but only with that browser. If not even then, they may have used a different, older version of Firefox and even the newest version has problems - or it may be the website itself.

If you can't get to those pages with any of those three browsers (or view them properly), or if you need them to work with all three browsers, then I recommend you contact the people who did the website work and tell them you want them to return and repair the problems they caused at no charge under the terms of the original change agreement - and this time make sure they work with all three browsers before they leave.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inc. MP061 Inspiron E1705
    CPU
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo 64 kilobyte primary memory
    Motherboard
    Board: Dell Inc. 0YD479 Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    Memory
    2046 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) [Di
    Sound Card
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (17.2"vis)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Chassis Serial Number: 5YK95C1
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1958 Kbps download ; 754.8 Kbps upload
    Other Info
    Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Dell AIO Printer A940

Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

6TO4 Adapter
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Router Linksys / WRT54G -01
Well, I did download Firefox last night (you know how stressful downloading is for me - I have not yet changed my automatic downloads - shame on me - and realize I need to do that (on the list)). Anyway, the download went well and then they asked about those 'updates' - again, not knowing what to update - I did not update anything at this time (I think Java was one and Acrobat - which I was surprised because I always get update notices about them 'automatically').

The other issue is they send me to the websites to 'pick' the updates and or plug-ins / add-ons - the later I don't really know the difference.

So, yes I agree with you that the issue arose from their updates (this is Storefront powered by Intuit) so there is no physical person I hired. Intuit purchased Homestead a few years ago. I used Homestead for many years - inexpensive website I built for Real Estate and it was quite effective. Of course, being a small company back then - the service was impeccable - some growing pains throughout, but overall outstanding. Now, like many other services - written script etc. no real technical support at least on the Storefront level. I had to do a lot of 'refreshing' on coding (and that is limited to say the least) as Storefront required some knowledge and the information website I used for so many years, did not.

I follow stats on the website and see many different browsers being used as well as a variety of versions and cannot say I have noticed any leaving because of that (and so far from my testing) IE8-Chrome-Firefox display the site well. The pages I had trouble with were not public - they are my editing/admin pages.

Well, Firefox puts an entirely different twist on these editing pages and WOW - I am impressed, really impressed. I have not set it as a default but have been using it today and it is quick (and I guess being new it had to collect all the cookies etc which typically makes pages load slower the first time viewing - is that correct?).

So, the reason I came to the forum is my provider immediately was blaming IE and I wanted to see if anyone had any issues with updates over the past month or so. In researching I saw the poll on browsers, I had no idea there were so many.

Thanks for your in-depth response and would love to get input on any potential viewing problems with other browsers without downloading too many. Can I post the web link here?

Also regarding your comment 'Update the browser before using' is that referring to Java & Acrobat etc?

Thanks again,

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Studio XPS 1640
    CPU
    Memory
    4GB
I'm only concerned for now with ordinary updates - not add-ons. In Firefox, click on Help and then Check for Updates - it will probably say there are none required. That's fine. If it says you need any, just follow the prompts to get them. That's it. If you want to check for Java / Adobe etc (as they suggest), you're welcome to do so and update them if necessary (it won't hurt and we'll be able to eliminate them being obsolete as a possible cause). I do not recommend installing any further downloads or add-ons until you're familiar with the basic program and then understand what these downloads and add-ons will do and can better decide if you want them or not. As a general rule, the more you have, the more problems you tend to have (and the slower the browser operates) - but some can be useful (but do that later).

Many say Firefox is quicker than IE8 - but I'm using IE9 beta (don't do that yourself - avoid beta products unless you really know what you're doing) so mine is a bit faster still and cookies don't really slow it down that you'd notice - but don't expect it to get all that much faster. In fact, unless you maintain it (periodically clearing the temporary files and such) it will actually get slower (just like IE and all the others).

Post whatever you feel comfortable with everyone seeing (the public website is fine if you want us to check how it looks with other browsers, but understand I only have IE, Chrome, and Firefox and neither have nor intend to install any of the others). Do not post links to your private administrative areas and for heaven's sake don't post any passwords or website design access information or anything like that.

Good luck!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940

6TO4 Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Did you really think I would test Beta? It all moves to fast for me! Thanks for the clarification (and reminder) about what to and not to post.

Anyway, I did the reset of default settings on IE8 since I had Firefox running. Before I go further - I have had a couple of crashes on Firefox and there are still some functions in IE8 I prefer in both general browsing and Website editing (if I can get them back). I do a lot of multi tasking (many windows up at one time). I will go in and clear the cookies - I am guilty about forgetting to do that periodically.

I agree with you it is a programming issue with their programming - although that will likely not be admitted. After I did the IE reset, when I brought up the website software it asked (as it always does) about running ActiveX which I allowed.

I have a message into my site builder as they gave me instruction on setting ActiveX upto IE7 and just wanted to clarify with them if it was the same for IE8. In their instructions, they want me to allow 1st and 3rd party cookies - somehow that made me nervous for using other websites. Should I be concerned about setting it to allow this? If so, is there a way of isolating it to this website only?

As always, thanks for your insight!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Studio XPS 1640
    CPU
    Memory
    4GB
Hi FCUSA,

It's been a while - I've missed you (but not your problems - LOL!).

As far as cookies go, I wouldn't worry about them. If you want, you can designate this a Trusted Site and allow cookies on Trusted Sites only while disallowing them in general. To be honest, I not only allow cookies in general, but I NEVER delete them because I find them useful for when I revisit a site. Some sites require them (like banks and financial institutions and many download sites). I won't even let ISP troubleshooters delete them when that is part of their normal procedure. Many will say that deleting them periodically is good maintenance and deleting on closing IE also safer - but I choose to ignore those opinions.

Although not a security expert by any means, I've never found more than a couple of tracking cookies that were easily removed and am aware of no major system infections caused by cookies (though I suppose it is possible and just because I know of none doesn't mean none exist). If you find yourself inconvenienced by cookies, you can always delete them and be done with it (but it's all-or-nothing, you'll delete the ones you really want with the rest).

I use Microsoft Frontpage 2003 or Microsoft Expressions 2007 for web page design, so I'm not really aware of the design features of IE. What are you missing that you had and wish you could get back - specifically and in detail? It may be an add-on we can install or something that needs to be updated because an update made it outdated. Some features have been intentionally removed because of legal maneuvers by the big boys, but nothing that I would imagine you'd care much about. Let me know and we'll see if we can do something about it.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940

6TO4 Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

You hurt my feelings - but I'll get over it!

Actually, hubby took sick over Thanksgiving weekend and had some minor surgery yesterday - all is getting better, but we did need to cancel our last two shows for this year. Oh well.

Thanks for the clarifications. I misunderstood 'temporary files' for cookies. I HATE when I need to reconstruct the info you mention in your post. So ActiveX is for cookies? And activating 1st and 3rd party is appropriate?

Currently Temporary Internet Files is set for 20 days (and 50mb). I cannot say I have any complaints about either (any of the 3 browsers for that matter) about loading.

I am using for the Basic pages of the website a 'point and click' prepackaged software. The e-commerce site is different - it is actually ProStores (either owned by Ebay or PayPal, I forget but that reminds me - I should go to there site and see if I can obtain more info about their recent changes - although it has not been much help in the past.)

So I am having different problems for different template editing. I use home page and product editing templates the most.

On IE
Home Page had 3 levels of editing: Basic, Advanced, Source. Similiar editing tools as in these posts. It also had a drop down menu to insert elements. Now it opens in what appears to be a safe mode (none of the Tabs for the levels of editing are available) - this is also prior to me reseting IE - actually now I cannot even log in which is why they are suggesting the ActiveX changes (although when I first brought up the website after resetting, IE did ask about ActiveX and I did permit it) but will manually check those settings (they gave me instructions upto IE7 - are they the same for IE8?

Product Details in IE8 was just plain text and I had to do my own coding (needless to say very basic manipulation).

Chrome - offered a new twist on Product Details - spell check which I did not have (or maybe didn't activate?) in IE. Chrome however did not work well with the Home Page Template (only HTML) if I remember and of recent - blank!

Firefox - Has a completely different look: On the Home Page editor it offers right click commands for editing (I have not spent much time with this yet, so not quite sure how well I understand it).
Product detail has two tabs: one similiar to this post and one for HTML but does not allow me to cut and paste with the mouse only shortcuts. I have an entire 'cheat sheet' of coding options I have used for the past year that worked great in IE because the product detail page was like notepad (which I just figured out). When I copy & paste my code (from word) it is actually putting that source in the code page (which to my knowledge isn't doing anything but it sure is messy).

Just writing that made by brain hurt!!! So you've built websites??

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Studio XPS 1640
    CPU
    Memory
    4GB
Hi FCUSA,

ActiveX is for running programs and has little or almost nothing to do with cookies or temporary internet files (though they may be involved and/or created by such programs). It is common and normal to permit ActiveX but not without restrictions. The settings are in Tools / Internet Options / Security / Internet / Custom Level / and then scroll down to the set that deal with ActiveX. Actually, it may be simpler for you on the Internet option on the Security Screen to just set it at Medium rather than try to customize them as I have done.

You should always try to keep up-to-date with the most recent ActiveX controls (which you may need to download - especially if you're having a problem with them). The rules for IE7 are similar but not exactly the same as for IE8 (but probably close enough for you to get by with them). It is possible that one of the security rules I mentioned above is preventing ActiveX from working on that site and you may need to customize them after all - they should know what needs to be changed.

I am personally fine with activating cookies provided you stay away from websites which are likely to cause problems (you know what I mean) and be cautious about visiting sites you've never been to before where you're not sure what they're all about and have doubts about whether or not they are trustworthy - in effect, use common sense. That plus MSE and the other security products we've discussed before should keep you fine.

As far as temporary internet files go, those I would delete regularly. The only real thing you lose there may be some customized icons in your favorites - but these files can hide malware and they do take up space and they will slow down your system (especially IE), so delete them from time-to-time. Their value is more in terms of immediate usage than long term. I do so every week or two, but some set it up to delete them when closing IE and I can't disagree with that approach. If you have it set to retain them for 20 days, that seems reasonable to me though you probably don't need to do so for that long - but it's perfectly fine and the decision is yours.

There is no spellcheck with IE7, 8, (or 9). I use: ieSpell - Download and though not as well integrated as in the Office products, it does work (though I frankly don't use it that often as it isn't convenient enough - meaning I actually have to do something - but would if I REALLY cared about making sure it was correct). It isn't hard - highlighting and the click of a button, it just isn't automatic and I guess I'm just too used to it being automatic.

I have built several websites in my time (I had one for my business but have removed it since I'm no longer actively doing that full time due to my condition), but only one is currently active and it is incredibly basic and a single page and there just for my book agents to provide to publishers who want a quick overview. As it contains much personal information (and isn't impressive and doesn't show what I really can do), I'm not going to post it. I am only mildly familiar with coding and depend mostly on the software to do that for me (but sometimes do need to crack open the books to make some minor changes that can't be done any other way). I am not skilled at it and have no desire to go through the learning curve to gain enough proficiency to do it professionally (or even enough to answer related questions which are rare and are often referrred to more appropriate forums).

I was impressed that you created a reasonably long post - that's more my style. Sorry your head hurts.

I hope this answers your questions (or guides you to those who can).

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940

6TO4 Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Hello Lorien -

Thank you for your time and sorry it has taken so long (awaiting a response from the website Techies which just came last night - I'm glad I wasn't down and out!). Good luck with your book - is it computer related or another subject? Either way you are very detailed and am sure success will follow.

I wanted to run a response I received from my website builder software company by you. Before I do, I had an additional problem that I am not certain how to correct. I still have IE8 as my default, but using Firefox for some functions. Last night (just before shutting down, I pulled a site in IE8 and my text was 'huge'. this happended once before and (it took me awhile to figure out) but found the Page drop down and changed the Text Size. That does not seem to be working this time. (I changed it to a smaller text last night, then shut down). When I booted everything up this morning, the issue is still there.

Second - this is the correction the web company is suggesting to me:

Thanks for your reply. it should not take you multiple times to login to Storefront to access the Store Administrator. it may be possible that certain setting within IE8 are causing the problems. Below are instructions for disabling Windows Data Execution Prevention which is known for disabling certain programs from running. Please try it out, and by all means let me know if there are any further problems.

Windows Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a security feature included in modern Microsoft Windows operating systems that is intended to prevent an application or service from executing code from a non-executable memory region.

Common error messages include:

- Windows Data Execution Prevention detected an add-on trying to use system memory incorrectly. This can be caused by a malfunction or a malicious add-on. Internet Explorer has closed this webpage to help protect your computer.
- A malfunctioning or malicious add-on has caused Internet Explorer to close this webpage.

Some SiteBuilder pages will produce these errors when viewed in Internet Explorer 8, especially those with animated Elements or other active content. In most cases, these problems may be solved by disabling the DEP features.

DEP can be turned off on a per-application basis, or turned off entirely for all non-essential Windows programs and services. If you decided that DEP should be disabled, here's how to do it:

1. In Internet Explorer, click on Tools, Internet Options, then the Advanced tab.
2. Scroll down to Security and click to disable the "Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks" checkbox.

Notes:

- Disabling Data Execution Prevention is done at your own discretion. We cannot advise you to make this change, only that disabling DEP may prevent these messages from appearing.
- For additional support with Windows or Internet Explorer, please visit Microsoft's support site:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/support/call-us.aspx

Thanks! Are you staying warm!!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Studio XPS 1640
    CPU
    Memory
    4GB
Hi FCUSA,

First, about text size, is it only on one page on one website or is it across the board? If only one page/site, then the problem is probably with the site and you may need to adjust whenever you go there (which hopefully isn't too often). I hope it isn't your site!!!

If more across the board, we may need to do a little more troubleshooting with IE to fix this. I realize there are a lot of articles here, but they're fast and procedures are pretty short so it'll go pretty fast.

Try reviewing the following article:

Tips for solving problems with Internet Explorer
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Tips-for-solving-problems-with-Internet-Explorer

If that doesn't resolve the problem, then try the following two procedures in the order presented:

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7 & IE8 in all OSS]
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx

Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES - note the ramifications and be sure you're OK with them)?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

How to optimize Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/936213/?p=1

How to troubleshoot Internet Explorer issues in Windows Vista and in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936215

Hopefully, one of these procedures will resolve your problems with IE. If not, post back and we'll try something else (and include a link to the website or page that's giving you this trouble if it's only one or two or so - send it by PM if it's on your site and you don't want it openly disclosed or if you just prefer to keep it private for whatever reason).

********************************************************************************

As far as DEP is concerned, it is NOT a good idea to turn it off for long; however, for purposes of testing whether or not it solves the problem, that's probably fine (just go nowhere else while doing it and turn it back on as soon as you feel you have an answer as to whether or not it solves the problem). If it doesn't, tell them it didn't work and you want something that does that doesn't compromise your security. If it does, well I guess you have a decision to make (and I don't like any of the choices they've given and would suggest telling them to find another one that doesn't require a security risk disclaimer). Here's info on DEP so you better understand what they're suggesting: Data Execution Prevention: frequently asked questions. Don't bother with the link they provided - the answers you want aren't there, or they refer you to another forum (which is pretty good but not as good as this one), or they try to get you to pay for support by the hour. The link I just posted is all you need to know about DEP - the solution is not to be found in Microsoft but with the people who did the coding. Others get past this problem without requiring people to disable DEP and they could as well if they had the right skills, knowledge, expertise, and experience.

Let's see what happens before discussing what this means. I'm not impressed that they would suggest this option - it means that they KNOW there is a problem and haven't figured out a way to get past DEP so they try to make the customer decrease their security as a workaround until they do the job as they should have in the first place. It's not like DEP just suddenly appeared. Notice they even add the disclaimer that they don't advise you to make the change (because they should and probably do know better) - no, you can just live with the problems in the meantime and they're covered because they gave you what may be a solution and then told you it was risky and up to you. They'd make great politicians.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

P.S. The book is about a quasi-government agency that hunts and destroys vampires - very high-tech weaponry and equipment (and computers). Lots of action. Not having much luck with publishers - but still trying.

P.P.S. Because of my condition, I rarely go outside at all so I'm pretty much at 74 all the time. When I do go out, it's to car that warms up quickly and then to a heated building. No walks in the park or anything like that.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940

6TO4 Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

It is across the board and I will look into your suggestions today (as time permits anyway). At least I am not down!

Thanks for your affirmation - I could not agree with you more regarding this company (which, in my shy & reserved manner, have told them so - I would hate to see what comes on their screen when they pull my account?! Oh well. They have recently made an upgrade (past two months) and doesn't even acknowledge that in their correspondence. Very sad really, before being bought by Intuit you would actually speak with a real Tech. I just want somebody to stand by the products they produce!! I have been considering a change for sometime and do some research when precious time permits (it is on my list for 2011).

Have a great day!

PS Sounds like Dave would love it - big Syfy!! No condition here, but still don't go out in it! Worked from home most my adult life (very fortunate) and carefully planned appointments during the winter. We had ice that never defrosted yesterday and I am in central FL - that is rare!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Studio XPS 1640
    CPU
    Memory
    4GB
Alright - here we go! I started on the suggestions and was working my way through them in what feels like a snail's pace.

In the process, and truthfully I am uncertain how it occurred but the zoon in the bottom right corner was actually at a higher percentage than 100. Viola!!

All is good again! I never change that, so I have no idea why that would have happened - another mystery!

BTW, I really understand now why you suggest downloading and then waiting a day. During the course of resetting and some other changes, I was very concerned about how the computer was actually running and then within a couple days, it seemed 'to settle in'.

Thanks again!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Studio XPS 1640
    CPU
    Memory
    4GB
Hi FCUSA,

Excellent News! I'm happy to know one of the procedures worked - and while I wish I knew which one so I could possibly adjust the order in situations like this, the important thing is that it's resolved.

It was my pleasure - I'm glad I was able to help.

Thanks for the feedback and the kind comments - they are appreciated as always.

I am going to request that this thread be marked solved.

Good luck and best wishes!

P.S. Ice in central Florida? Oh no, there goes the price of Orange Juice again! LOL!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940

6TO4 Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Yes, I did want to mark it closed also - forgot how to do that.

Anyway, I am sorry if the previous post was not clear enough. I was in the process of reading through everything. It may be a matter of ADDING to the sequence rather than the order as I never really executed any of the instructions.

The issue was the zoom (at the far right bottom corner of IE). Although I never change these settings, the zoom was set at something other than 100%. It was shear accident that I realized it. Oddly enough, I have had the problem before and it took me a bit to find that the setting under 'Page', 'Text Size' had changed (mysteriously). So when I had the problem this time, I did immediately check that and when it was not correcting the issue, I was baffled. Now, I know TWO settings to check before setting off the alarm!

PS One thing I did notice while following some instruction in your post about checking "Add Ons', it appears that Javascript is not enabled and I need to go back and look at that today - as I thought I had that enabled because of the website.

Hope that clarifies what resolved the issue. Cannot take for granted the 'computer challenged' folks like me! LOL

Have a great day!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Studio XPS 1640
    CPU
    Memory
    4GB
Lorien is off line, but since you asked about marking it solved, its easy. Just click on the triangle in upper right; then type solved. Lorien usually does it for the members, but in a perfect world each new member would know how and do it him or herself. In this case it is already done.
Hope that the Forum was everything that you hoped for and will come back often.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays