Solved Application data/settings backup

elDuck

Hello, I'm using a combination of the Vista backup to do a complete backup of my OS and applications (for emergency restore) and another backup tool to handle my data.

My OS is on C: and my data on D: (and other drives).

My query is that C: will contain application settings/data - for example if I write actions in Photoshop they will be stored under the user application data subdirectory or if I create a DOT template for Word it will be stored under the hidden data directories for Word.

I want to be sure that I am backing up all of the vital application data/settings so that I can either restore just those or in an emergency can restore my full Vista backup (done weekly) and then restore the application data (which I want to backup daily).

I've searched this set of forums and elsewhere to find something that lists which subdirectory tree(s) I need to ensure that I have backed up (and I guess I'll need to do a registry backup too each day just in case settings are stored there). I can't find such a list.

Does anyone know of a document that details what the vital stuff to backup is?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

If you need to backup Photoshop, you need to find it's directory (probably under Adobe), and for Word it's probably under Microsoft or Office. Another option is to simply backup the entire AppData folder, that way you can't miss anything.

If you're talking about a large-scale backup for your whole system, you will probably want to backup drivers as well (you only need to back these up once, all the drivers are installed in C:\swsetup, but I prefer just saving the installer files).

I reinstalled my OS multiple times, with my personal data on another drive. What I backed up from my C drive was:

• Select folders from AppData (only for programs' settings that I wanted to backup)
  • Fonts that I had collected over time (C:\Windows\Fonts)
  • Themes that I had collected over time (C:\Windows\Resources\Themes)
  • Custom Power Plans (exported/imported through powercfg.exe in command prompt)
  • Start Menu folder, for lots of links I created (AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu - Private Profile, C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu - Public Profile)
  • Certain folders in Program Files of older programs that I run as Administrator for compatibility purposes (programs that need Administrator privileges to save stuff in Program Files)
  • I did not backup the registry in anyway, because the registry changes I made were saved as .reg files. Other registry changes are made while installing programs (which after a clean install will be done anyway)
What you think is vital to backup depends on your system. Generally speaking, since you store your data on another drive, the AppData folder and drivers should be it, but you may have certain things that you want to save.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP dv5-1120ej Notebook PC
    CPU
    Intel Dual 2.16GHz
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia GeForce 9200M GS, 256MB
    Hard Drives
    320GB internal, 320GB external, 1TB external to come (big download library XD)
    Internet Speed
    Fast enough
    Other Info
    Firefox, Foobar, and AutoHotkey! Go open source!
VaguelyRapt,
thanks that's pretty much what I was looking for :D

I figured all of the AppData so that I was ok on. Drivers I already have backed up so they're covered.

I reinstalled my OS multiple times, with my personal data on another drive. What I backed up from my C drive was:

• Select folders from AppData (only for programs' settings that I wanted to backup)
  • Fonts that I had collected over time (C:\Windows\Fonts)
  • Themes that I had collected over time (C:\Windows\Resources\Themes)
  • Custom Power Plans (exported/imported through powercfg.exe in command prompt)
  • Start Menu folder, for lots of links I created (AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu - Private Profile, C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu - Public Profile)
  • Certain folders in Program Files of older programs that I run as Administrator for compatibility purposes (programs that need Administrator privileges to save stuff in Program Files)
  • I did not backup the registry in anyway, because the registry changes I made were saved as .reg files. Other registry changes are made while installing programs (which after a clean install will be done anyway)
Themes I don't worry about, ditto custom power plans but fonts and start menu folders I will want to check. I hadn't thought of the progs that run as admin... I will check out if I have any that save stuff on C: or if they all behave. I suspect I may have some to worry about.

Great - time to plan the appdata backup. Thank you.

My Computer

Elduck

Did this solve it for you?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated intel 945
    Sound Card
    integrated
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    300 gig internal
    Internet Speed
    10 down 1.5 up
Im sorry I often work in the win 7 site and its slightly different. to mark a thread solved you click the red triangle, so you go to your last post click the triangle and write solved

Ken

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated intel 945
    Sound Card
    integrated
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    300 gig internal
    Internet Speed
    10 down 1.5 up
Odd way of doing it - as the triangle says "report post" which on most other forums would be to say "this post is...." (insert idea of choice, offensive, spam... etc).

Ok. Done ;)

My Computer

elduck

I thought so too so i asked. In retrospect it easier for the admins to get a message saying its solved than have to read thru the thread to find out it is. It is also used for the obvious spam, duble post etc.

Ken

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated intel 945
    Sound Card